Syrian gov't not given GPS data of hospital hit by strike

GENEVA -- Doctors Without Borders says it took the wrenching decision not to formally inform Syria's government or its Russian allies about the location of some medical facilities like one hit by a deadly airstrike this week, amid concerns that by doing so it could open them up to targeting amid recent violence that has injured and killed many civilians.

See Full Article

The charity, also known by its French acronym MSF, says repeated attacks against health facilities during Syria's five-year civil war has led medical staffers to ask the group not to provide the GPS co-ordinates of some sites like one in the town of Maaret al-Numan, which was hit four times in attacks on Monday, killing at least 25 people.

"Deliberate attacks against civilian infrastructures including hospitals struggling to provide life-saving assistance are routine," MSF International President Joanne Liu told reporters in Geneva on Thursday. "Health care in Syria is in the crosshair of bombs and missiles. It has collapsed. Let me be clear: Attacks on civilians and hospitals must stop. The normalization of such attacks is intolerable."

Liu said the group has no certainty about who was responsible for the strikes, but the "probability" was that Syrian or Russian air power was to blame. She said MSF's policy of not informing Syrian or Russian officials about the location of health facilities has become a "hot topic" inside the organization.

In Brussels, European Union leaders were expected to call on Russia and Syrian President Bashar Assad's forces to halt attacks on moderate opposition groups in Syria and immediately end all airstrikes. A draft statement for their summit starting Thursday, seen by The Associated Press, "calls on Russia and the Syrian regime to stop at once attacking moderate opposition groups."

The statement "calls for an immediate cessation of aerial bombardments in civilian areas."

MSF says that since the war broke out in 2011, the Syrian government has not granted permission for it to provide medical aid in the country despite its repeated requests. Because of that, its work has been limited to areas held by opposition forces. The group says it aims to help civilians and war wounded.

After the latest strikes, MSF operations director Isabelle Defourny says she expects affiliated medical staffers in Syria now will ask that their locations be specified to government officials.

"We gave to the Russian ambassadors in Paris (and) in Geneva co-ordinates for three hospitals located in very intense conflict zones, but not for all of them, and it was a decision taken together with the medical staff of the health facilities that we support."

"It was a huge discussion inside MSF and mainly with the medical directors of the health facilities that we support inside Syria," Defourny said. "The staff of the hospital (and) the director of the hospital didn't know if they would be better protected if they give the GPS or not."

She said the Maaret al-Numen hospital was widely known and had already been hit by strikes in the past. "Those are not underground or invisible hospitals," she said of the medical sites, alluding to the difficulty of the decision not to formally identify its location.

"I don't know if we regret (it) ... maybe, but the fact is that we see that in Kunduz giving GPS co-ordinates does not protect," she said, alluding to a deadly U.S. airstrike in October that destroyed a MSF hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan. That hospital had been identified to both Afghan and U.S. forces fighting an insurgency there.

Also Thursday, MSF provided a report documenting war wounded and deaths that draws on information from 70 "makeshift hospitals" and clinics it works with in Syria. While only "a small fraction of the health facilities in Syria," the medical facilities counted a total of 7,009 people dead and 154,647 people wounded during the conflict.

The UN estimates that more than 250,000 people have been killed and at 11 million displaced from their homes during the war.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Caroline Kennedy says she's missed JFK every day of her life

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON -- U.S. President John F. Kennedy's daughter reminisces about her father in a new video released ahead of what would have been his 100th birthday. Speaking about her father in the video released by the JFK Library in Boston, Caroline Kennedy says she has "thought about him and missed him every day" of her life. Source
  • Grace McCarthy, influential B.C. cabinet minister for 3 decades, has died

    Canada News CBC News
    Grace McCarthy, the grand dame of B.C's Social Credit Party, has died. McCarthy, dubbed "Amazing Grace" by the members of her own party, was a cabinet minister in the governments of all three Social Credit premiers and is credited with revitalizing the party after its first electoral defeat to the NDP in the 1972 provincial election. Source
  • Man pleads guilty in crash that killed Mountie in British Columbia

    Canada News CTV News
    COLWOOD, B.C. -- A man whose truck slammed into an RCMP officer's cruiser killing a 32-year-old constable has pleaded guilty to two charges in a Victoria-area court. Kenneth Fenton pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death in court Thursday in Colwood, B.C. Source
  • Sudbury becomes city with largest number of nuisance bear technicians in Ontario

    Canada News CBC News
    Sudbury, Ont., is getting more support to deal with its long-standing nuisance bear issue. The provincial government announced on Thursday it is doubling the number of local technicians available over the summer to help police assess bear sightings and immobilize the animal if it becomes aggressive. Source
  • Man wins new sex-assault hearing due to trial lawyer's poor performance

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man convicted of sexually assaulting two girls deserves a new hearing because he was blindsided at trial about a statement he had given to police, Ontario's top court has ruled. In its reasons for overturning the conviction, the Court of Appeal faulted the man's lawyer for multiple failures around the statement -- including having failed to even review it. Source
  • Video released of two men in brazen Toronto murder [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A video of two hooded men brazenly gunning down a man in a Toronto parking lot has been released in hopes of identifying the killers. Leonard Pinnock, 33, of Hamilton, Ont. was shot Friday, April 21 at 9:30 p.m. Source
  • Royals to kick off Canada 150 visit in Nunavut

    Canada News CBC News
    The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will kick off their Royal tour for Canada 150 in Iqaluit. It will be the first official visit to Nunavut by the Royal couple, although Prince Charles visited the region in 1970, when Iqaluit was still a part of the Northwest Territories. Source
  • Families of missing, murdered women urge critics to get behind national inquiry

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Families of missing and murdered women are raising their voices in defence of the national public inquiry as it faces a stream of criticism from advocates and indigenous leaders. Bernie Williams, who has spent more than 30 years on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside raising awareness about missing and murdered indigenous women, is urging families to keep faith in the process. Source
  • Obstruction charge stayed against woman who gave water to slaughter-bound pigs

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An Ontario woman recently found not guilty of mischief after giving water to pigs headed to slaughter has scored another legal victory in a separate case involving pigs. Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General says it has stayed one charge of obstructing police and one charge of breach of recognizance against Anita Krajnc. Source
  • SCC won't hear appeal of man convicted of torturing roommate

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- An Alberta man who tortured and starved his roommate is not getting a chance to appeal his conviction before Canada's top court. The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed Dustin Paxton's request to challenge a 2016 ruling from the Alberta Court of Appeal which upheld a guilty verdict of aggravated assault and sexual assault. Source