Three-way feud developing among Republican candidates

CHAPIN, S.C. - A three-way feud among the Republicans' leading White House contenders has escalated, with Republican Ted Cruz daring Donald Trump to sue him and dismissing Marco Rubio's charges of dishonesty just days before South Carolina's high-stakes primary.

See Full Article

Yet it was Rubio who may have scored the Wednesday's biggest win as he secured the coveted endorsement of South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. The popular governor said she was tasked with identifying the best candidate as she surveyed the crowded Republican field.

"If we elect Marco Rubio, every day will be a great day in America," she said alongside the Florida senator during an evening rally in suburban Columbia.

Haley's endorsement did little to quiet the intensifying clash between Cruz, Trump and Rubio over alleged ethical violations in the days leading up to Saturday's South Carolina contest.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state, and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders face off during the Nevada caucuses on Saturday. The South Carolina primary for them is on Feb. 27.

Cruz has been trying to beat back charges of dishonesty from Trump and Rubio for weeks. He shifted his defence to the next level during an afternoon news conference that highlighted his extensive legal training.

"You have been threatening frivolous lawsuits for your entire adult life," said Cruz, a Harvard Law School graduate who served as Texas' top lawyer, speaking directly to Trump. "Even in the annals of frivolous lawsuits, this takes the cake."

Trump threatened earlier in the week to bring a defamation lawsuit against Cruz over a television ad that attacks the Republican front-runner's conservative bona fides. Specifically, the ad features footage of the billionaire businessman in a 1999 interview supporting abortion rights. Trump now says he opposes abortion.

Trump's attorney sent Cruz a letter Tuesday charging the ad was "replete with outright lies, false, defamatory and destructive statements" and saying Cruz could be held liable for damages if it's not taken down.

Cruz on Wednesday said a lawsuit against the ad has no chance, and said he would like to take Trump's deposition himself. He also announced plans to run the contested ad more frequently.

The prospective legal battle marks another extraordinary step in the turbulent 2016 Republican primary season.

Polls suggest Trump continues to hold a big lead in South Carolina and in upcoming states, as Cruz works to rally the Republican Party's most conservative wing and Rubio tries to consolidate mainstream Republicans behind his candidacy. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Ohio Gov. John Kasich continue to battle for a spot at the table, while retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson struggles for relevancy.

Haley's endorsement was a major setback for Bush in particular, who told NBC News on Monday that "she is the probably the most meaningful endorsement if there is" one in the state.

Suddenly backed by Haley, Rubio continued his assault against Cruz's campaign tactics. He accused Cruz supporters of using "push polls" and creating a fake Facebook page wrongly claiming that South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy had switched his endorsement from the Florida senator to Cruz.

"It's just a pattern of people around his campaign that have continuously done things like that," Rubio said as he campaigned in Mount Pleasant.

Cruz denied being involved with anything untoward and called for anyone with evidence to come forward.

Also on Wednesday, Trump said that if elected president, any person he nominates for Supreme Court justice will have to pledge to uphold a landmark gun rights case. Trump said during a forum on MSNBC that he would make upholding the Heller decision a litmus test for Supreme Court nominees. The case determined that Americans have the right to keep and bear arms for self defence.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 12 bodies recovered after landslide buries hotel in China

    World News CBC News
    Authorities in China say they've recovered the bodies of 12 people killed inside a hotel overrun by a landslide. State media reported Sunday that rescuers were able to pull out everyone trapped underneath rocks and debris after the Friday night landslide in Hunan province. Source
  • Dozens killed as train derails in India

    World News Toronto Sun
    HYDERABAD, India — At least 23 people were killed and 50 others injured after a passenger train derailed in southern India, railway officials said Sunday. Seven coaches of the Hirakand Express were thrown off the tracks around midnight Saturday, some landing on a goods train that was on a parallel track, said Divisional Railway manager Chandralekha Mukherji. Source
  • At least 32 dead in India train derailment

    World News CBC News
    At least 32 people were killed and 50 others injured after a passenger train derailed in southern India, railway officials said Sunday. Seven coaches of the Hirakand Express were thrown off the tracks shortly before midnight Saturday, some landing on a goods train that was on a parallel track, said Divisional Railway manager Chandralekha Mukherji. Source
  • Trump and Trudeau look 'forward to meeting soon' after Saturday phone chat

    Canada News CBC News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has congratulated U.S. President Trump on his inauguration. The Prime Minister's Office says the two men spoke by phone Saturday, but it was not immediately clear how long the conversation lasted. The PMO said in an email that Trudeau noted the depth of the Canada-U.S. Source
  • Backcountry skier dead following avalanche near Nelson, B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    The BC Coroners Service says a woman is dead following an avalanche near Nelson, B.C. Spokeswoman Barbara McLintock says an adult woman was killed Saturday while skiing in the southern part of the province. No details have been released on the woman's identity or whether she was with anyone else at the time of the slide. Source
  • 74-year-old Ont. woman caught allegedly speeding at nearly twice the limit

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON, Ont. - Ontario Provincial Police say a 74-year-old woman was pulled over in Kingston for speeding at nearly twice the posted limit. Police say the woman, who is a local resident, was doing 151 km/h in an 80 km/h zone on Highway 15 Friday afternoon. Source
  • Madonna drops F-bombs at Women's March in Washington [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Madonna turned the air blue at the Women’s March in Washington, D.C. with a string of ‘F’ words during her stirring anti-Donald Trump speech. The pop superstar joined hundreds of thousands of activists who marched on the U.S. Source
  • 12 people likely dead after central China landslide

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Authorities in central China say 12 people are likely dead inside a hotel overrun by a landslide. State media reported that rescuers have not detected signs of life from 10 people who were trapped underneath rocks and debris after the Friday night landslide in Hunan province. Source
  • Trump praises CIA, rips media coverage of inauguration [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump opened his first full day as president Saturday at a national prayer service, the final piece of transition business for the nation’s new chief executive before a promised full-on shift into governing. Source
  • Celebs join anti-Trump women’s marches [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — If you wondered where many of Hollywood’s A-list celebrities had gone during President Donald Trump’s inauguration, you didn’t have to wonder any longer on Saturday, when scores of them showed up at women’s marches in Washington and other cities to send the new president a pointed message that he was in for a fight — and that, as so many signs said, women’s rights are human rights. Source