Obama planning historic visit to Cuba

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will pay an historic visit to Cuba in the coming weeks, senior Obama administration officials said Wednesday, becoming the first president to step foot on the island in nearly nine decades.

See Full Article

The brief visit in mid-March will mark a watershed moment for relations between the U.S. and Cuba, a communist nation estranged from the U.S. for half a century until Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro moved to relaunch ties in 2014. Since then, the nations have reopened embassies in Washington and Havana and moved to restore commercial air travel, with a presidential visit seen as a key next step toward bridging the divide.

Obama's stop in Cuba will part of a broader trip to Latin America that the president will take next month, said the officials, who requested anonymity because the trip hasn't been officially announced. The White House planned to unveil Obama's travel plans Thursday.

Though Obama had long been expected to visit Cuba in his final year, word of his travel plans drew immediate resistance from opponents of warmer ties with Cuba - including Republican presidential candidates.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, whose father fled to the U.S. from Cuba in the 1950s, said Obama shouldn't visit while the Castro family remains in power. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, another child of Cuban immigrants, lambasted the president for visiting what he called an "anti-American communist dictatorship."

"Today, a year and two months after the opening of Cuba, the Cuban government remains as oppressive as ever," Rubio said on CNN. Told of Obama's intention to visit, he added, "Probably not going to invite me."

With less than a year left in office, Obama has been eager to make rapid progress on restoring economic and diplomatic ties to cement the rapprochement with Cuba that his administration started. Following secret negotiations between their governments, Obama and Castro announced in late 2014 that they would begin normalizing ties, and months later held the first face-to-face meeting between an American and Cuban president since 1958.

But Obama, facing steadfast opposition to normalized relations from Republicans and some Democrats, has been unable to deliver on Cuba's biggest request: the lifting of the U.S. economic embargo on Cuba. Opponents argue that repealing those sanctions would reward a government still engaging in human rights abuses and stifling of democratic aspirations.

Obama and supporters of the detente argue the decades-old embargo has failed to bring about desired change on the island 90 miles south of Florida. Still, while Obama has long expressed an interest in visiting Cuba, White House officials had said the visit wouldn't occur unless and until the conditions were right.

"If I go on a visit, then part of the deal is that I get to talk to everybody" - including political dissidents, Obama told Yahoo News in December. "I've made very clear in my conversations directly with President Castro that we would continue to reach out to those who want to broaden the scope for, you know, free expression inside of Cuba."

Officials didn't immediately specify what had changed in the last few weeks to clear the way for the trip, first reported by ABC News. But on Tuesday, the two nations signed a deal restoring commercial air traffic as early as later this year, eliminating a key barrier to unfettered travel that isolated Cuban-Americans from their families for generations.

Hundreds of thousands more Americans are expected to visit Cuba per year under the deal, which cleared the way for the U.S. Department of Transportation to open bidding by American air carriers on as many as 110 flights a day. Currently, there are about one-fifth as many flights operating between the two countries - all charters.

Not since President Calvin Coolidge went to Havana in January 1928 has a sitting U.S. president been to Havana, according to the State Department historian's office. President Harry Truman visited the U.S.-controlled Guantanamo Bay on the southeast end of the island in 1948, and former President Jimmy Carter has paid multiple visits to the island since leaving office.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Caroline Kennedy says she's missed JFK every day of her life

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON -- U.S. President John F. Kennedy's daughter reminisces about her father in a new video released ahead of what would have been his 100th birthday. Speaking about her father in the video released by the JFK Library in Boston, Caroline Kennedy says she has "thought about him and missed him every day" of her life. Source
  • Grace McCarthy, influential B.C. cabinet minister for 3 decades, has died

    Canada News CBC News
    Grace McCarthy, the grand dame of B.C's Social Credit Party, has died. McCarthy, dubbed "Amazing Grace" by the members of her own party, was a cabinet minister in the governments of all three Social Credit premiers and is credited with revitalizing the party after its first electoral defeat to the NDP in the 1972 provincial election. Source
  • Man pleads guilty in crash that killed Mountie in British Columbia

    Canada News CTV News
    COLWOOD, B.C. -- A man whose truck slammed into an RCMP officer's cruiser killing a 32-year-old constable has pleaded guilty to two charges in a Victoria-area court. Kenneth Fenton pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death in court Thursday in Colwood, B.C. Source
  • Sudbury becomes city with largest number of nuisance bear technicians in Ontario

    Canada News CBC News
    Sudbury, Ont., is getting more support to deal with its long-standing nuisance bear issue. The provincial government announced on Thursday it is doubling the number of local technicians available over the summer to help police assess bear sightings and immobilize the animal if it becomes aggressive. Source
  • Man wins new sex-assault hearing due to trial lawyer's poor performance

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man convicted of sexually assaulting two girls deserves a new hearing because he was blindsided at trial about a statement he had given to police, Ontario's top court has ruled. In its reasons for overturning the conviction, the Court of Appeal faulted the man's lawyer for multiple failures around the statement -- including having failed to even review it. Source
  • Video released of two men in brazen Toronto murder [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A video of two hooded men brazenly gunning down a man in a Toronto parking lot has been released in hopes of identifying the killers. Leonard Pinnock, 33, of Hamilton, Ont. was shot Friday, April 21 at 9:30 p.m. Source
  • Royals to kick off Canada 150 visit in Nunavut

    Canada News CBC News
    The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will kick off their Royal tour for Canada 150 in Iqaluit. It will be the first official visit to Nunavut by the Royal couple, although Prince Charles visited the region in 1970, when Iqaluit was still a part of the Northwest Territories. Source
  • Families of missing, murdered women urge critics to get behind national inquiry

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Families of missing and murdered women are raising their voices in defence of the national public inquiry as it faces a stream of criticism from advocates and indigenous leaders. Bernie Williams, who has spent more than 30 years on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside raising awareness about missing and murdered indigenous women, is urging families to keep faith in the process. Source
  • Obstruction charge stayed against woman who gave water to slaughter-bound pigs

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An Ontario woman recently found not guilty of mischief after giving water to pigs headed to slaughter has scored another legal victory in a separate case involving pigs. Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General says it has stayed one charge of obstructing police and one charge of breach of recognizance against Anita Krajnc. Source
  • SCC won't hear appeal of man convicted of torturing roommate

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- An Alberta man who tortured and starved his roommate is not getting a chance to appeal his conviction before Canada's top court. The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed Dustin Paxton's request to challenge a 2016 ruling from the Alberta Court of Appeal which upheld a guilty verdict of aggravated assault and sexual assault. Source