At least 5 killed, 10 injured in explosion in Turkish capital

ANKARA, Turkey -- At least five people died and 10 others were injured in a large explosion in the Turkish capital on Wednesday, believed to have been caused by a car bomb, Ankara's governor said.

See Full Article

The explosion occurred during rush hour in an area close to where military headquarters and parliament are located. Governor Mehmet Kiliclar said the bomb appeared to have targeted a convoy of buses carrying military personnel.

"According to preliminary assessments, five people died and 10 people were injured," Kiliclar told the state-run Anadolu Agency. "It is believed that a bomb-laden car caused the explosion."

News reports said some cars caught fire and dozens of ambulances were sent to the scene. Dark smoke could be seen billowing from a distance.

Police told The Associated Press they are investigating the cause of the explosion.

It was not clear who was behind the bombing Wednesday. Kurdish rebels, the Islamic State group and a leftist extremist group have carried out attacks in the country recently.

In October, suicide bombings blamed on IS targeted a peace rally outside the main train station in Ankara, killing 102 people in Turkey's deadliest attack in years.

Wednesday's attack comes at a tense time when the Turkish government is facing an array of challenges. A fragile peace process with the Kurdish rebels collapsed in the summer. The Turkish security forces have been engaged in large-scale operations against Kurdish militants in the southeast since December, imposing controversial curfews in flashpoint areas, and the fighting has displaced tens of thousands of civilians.

Turkey has also been helping efforts led by the United States to combat the Islamic State group in neighbouring Syria, and has faced several deadly bombings in the last year that were blamed on IS.

The Syrian war, meanwhile, is raging along Turkey's southern border. Recent airstrikes by Russian and Syrian forces have prompted tens of thousands of Syrian refugees to flee to Turkey's border. Turkey so far has refused to let them in, despite being urged to do so by the United Nations and European nations, but is sending aid to Syrian refugee camps right across the border.

Turkey, which is already home to 2.5 million Syrian refugees, has also been a key focus of European Union efforts to halt the biggest flow of refugees to the continent since World War II. Hundreds, sometimes thousands, of refugees leave every night from Turkey to cross the sea to Greece in smugglers' boats.


Latest Canada & World News

  • More than 27,000 Virginians register to vote after extension

    World News CTV News
    RICHMOND, Va. -- The Virginia Department of Elections says more than 27,000 people registered to vote during a brief extension of the state's voter-registration deadline. A federal judge granted the deadline's extension Thursday after heavy demand prevented some voters from registering online. Source
  • Clinton campaign preparing for post-election, even if Trump refuses to concede

    World News CBC News
    Hillary Clinton's campaign is increasingly preparing for the possibility that Donald Trump may never concede the presidential election should she win, a development that could enormously complicate the crucial early weeks of her preparations to take office. Source
  • 100 mostly barefoot inmates escape Haiti lockup: officials

    World News CTV News
    ARCAHAIE, Haiti - Officials say more than 100 mostly barefoot inmates have overpowered guards and escaped from a Haitian prison. Judge Henry Claude Louis-Jean says Saturday's jailbreak occurred in Arcahaie, a coastal town about 30 miles north of Haiti's capital. Source
  • Toddler dies in Wash. fire with his dog huddled at his side

    World News CTV News
    SEATTLE -- A toddler who died in a house fire was found with his dog and teddy bear next to him and authorities believe the dog tried to protect the boy, a spokesman for Spokane's fire department said Saturday. Source
  • Hacked emails show Clinton campaign weighing Keystone XL decision

    Canada News CBC News
    Hacked emails show Hillary Clinton's campaign wrestled with how to announce her opposition to construction of the Keystone XL pipeline without losing the support of labour unions that supported the project. Emails published this past week by WikiLeaks show debate and confusion within the Clinton camp as it faced down the unexpectedly strong primary challenge by liberal Senator Bernie Sanders, who opposed the pipeline. Source
  • Ottawa man convicted of sexually abusing young girls facing new charges of public nudity, mischief

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ottawa daycare operator convicted last year of sexually abusing young girls in his care is now facing new charges, including public nudity and mischief to property. Jeffrey Wills, 42, was arrested on Thursday at his home in the city’s west end after police received a call about a naked man in the area. Source
  • Ex-Habs coach Jacques Demers hospitalized after suffering stroke

    Canada News CBC News
    Former NHL coach Jacques Demers has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke, Radio-Canada is reporting. The gravity of the stroke is not known. He is 72 years old. Demers also suffered a stroke on April 6 that was followed by three months of intensive rehabilitative therapy. Source
  • Jehovah's Witnesses defend pushing for bloodless surgeries

    Canada News CBC News
    Hospital visits by Jehovah's Witness elders, aimed at defending the right of members to refuse blood transfusions, are under scrutiny following the death of a 27-year-old Quebec woman who hemorrhaged earlier this month. One former Witness described the hospital liaison committees as "intimidating. Source
  • AT&T set to announce purchase of Time Warner for $85B US

    World News CBC News
    AT&T Inc. is set to announce as early as Saturday an $85 billion US deal to buy Time Warner Inc, sources familiar with the matter said, giving the telecom company control of cable TV channels HBO and CNN, film studio Warner Bros. Source
  • Father sentenced to 1,503 years in prison in daughter’s rape

    World News Toronto Sun
    FRESNO, Calif. — A Fresno man was sentenced to 1,503 years in prison for raping his teenage daughter over a four-year period. The 41-year-old was sentenced Friday to the longest-known prison sentence in Fresno Superior Court history, the Fresno Bee reported. Source