Abductor called to say he was keeping girl, mother testifies

FULLERTON, Calif. -- A man accused of kidnapping and fathering a child with a teenage girl who emerged 10 years later called the girl's mother shortly after she disappeared to say the girl would not return, the mother testified at his trial.

See Full Article

"I asked him to give me my daughter back, and he told me that he was not going to," the woman said through a Spanish interpreter.

The man, Isidro Garcia, now 42, had been the mother's live-in boyfriend before taking the girl from the apartment they all shared in 2004, authorities allege.

The mother testified Tuesday that she told Garcia in 2004 that he would have to leave the family's two-bedroom apartment in Santa Ana or she would leave with her three daughters.

She said they fought too much and he was giving her oldest daughter -- who had recently arrived in the country from Mexico -- inappropriate attention by buying her clothing and shoes and a computer only she could use.

The mother said she confronted Garcia about his attention to his daughter and he denied they were sexually involved.

"He would say that everything would end soon," she recalled.

The Associated Press is not naming the woman to avoid identifying her daughter.

The alleged victim and one of her sisters are expected to take the stand Wednesday.

Garcia, who is charged with kidnapping and rape, has pleaded not guilty and contends the girl ran away with him willingly.

The girl stayed with Garcia, married him and bore his child under a fake name, fearing she would be arrested or deported if she tried to leave, authorities allege. She went to police in 2014 after reconnecting with family on Facebook.

The account differs widely from the image of a happy couple presented by Garcia's attorney, Seth Bank. He has showed jurors photos of the pair smiling at their wedding and at their daughter's birthday parties and told them of the family's trips to Disneyland and Las Vegas.

The case drew widespread attention in 2014 when authorities linked the now-grown woman to a missing-person report filed by her mother and arrested Garcia, who neighbours said seemed happy with his wife and worked hard to provide for his family.

Garcia has acknowledged having an inappropriate sexual relationship with the teen but said he did not rape or abduct her, his attorney said. Rather, the girl left an unhappy home and tense relationship with her mother and fabricated the abduction years later when she regretted her choice and wanted to reunite with her family, Bank has said.

The mother was asked Tuesday why she didn't leave the home sooner in 2004 if she suspected Garcia was molesting her daughter.

She told the courtroom the reason she didn't take off sooner was because the 15-year-old girl did not want to go "because Isidro had her threatened." She did not provide additional details.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Crew enters Hawaii dome for 8-month Mars study

    World News Toronto Sun
    Six carefully selected scientists have entered a man-made dome on a remote Hawaii volcano as part of a human-behaviour study that could help NASA as it draws up plans for sending astronauts on long missions to Mars. Source
  • Car plows into pedestrians in Melbourne leaving 1 dead, several hurt

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - One person was killed and several others were seriously injured after a car plowed into pedestrians in Australia's second-largest city on Friday, prompting a major police operation as officials told the public to stay away from the area. Source
  • Actor Miguel Ferrer dead at 61, cousin George Clooney pays tribute

    World News CBC News
    Miguel Ferrer, who brought stern authority to his featured role on CBS' hit NCIS: Los Angeles and, years earlier, to NBC crime drama Crossing Jordan, has died. CBS said Ferrer died Thursday of cancer at his Los Angeles home. Source
  • 1 dead, many hurt as car plowed through pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia

    World News Toronto Sun
    SYDNEY, Australia — One person was killed and several others were seriously injured after a car plowed into pedestrians in Australia’s second-largest city on Friday, prompting a major police operation as officials told the public to stay away from the area. Source
  • Woman admits to killing mother with hammer, pleads guilty to manslaughter

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A woman accused of beating her mother to death with a hammer and nearly severing her neck with a knife pleaded guilty to manslaughter in Alberta Court of Queen's Bench on Thursday. Kirsten Michelle Lamb, 33, had been accused of second-degree murder in the November 2010 death of her mother, Sandra Lamb, 49. Source
  • Man taken, killed by crocodile while wading across Australian river

    World News Toronto Sun
    DARWIN, Australia — A 47-year-old man has been killed by crocodile while trying to cross a flooded river in northern Australian wilderness, police said Friday. The man had been wading through the East Alligator River in the Northern Territory with two women on Thursday when he disappeared at Cahill’s Crossing near the World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park, a police statement said. Source
  • Canadians plead guilty to violations at parks across U.S. West

    Canada News CTV News
    BILLINGS, Mont. -- Three Canadians will be banned from federal lands for five years after pleading guilty to walking on a sensitive hot spring in Yellowstone National Park and other crimes at parks across the Western U.S. Source
  • Details on Donald Trump's Inauguration Day

    World News Toronto Sun
    U.S. Presidential Inauguration Day Ceremony When: Friday, Jan. 20, 2017, beginning at 9:30 a.m. ET Where: West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol Building Forecast: 7C and cloudy, with a 70% chance rain; Light wind Watch in Canada: CBC/CTV begin live coverage at 10 a.m. Source
  • Genie Bouchard out of Australian Open after 3-set loss

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's Eugenie Bouchard is out of the Australian Open after losing her third-round match to American Coco Vandeweghe, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, Thursday in Melbourne (Friday local time.) With the win, Vandeweghe is the first woman through to the fourth round. Source
  • Trump pays $25M to settle Trump University cases

    World News Toronto Sun
    SAN DIEGO — President-elect Donald Trump has paid $25 million to settle three lawsuits against his now-defunct Trump University, signalling that a judge’s approval of a settlement agreement remains on track for March 30. Trump Entrepreneur Initiative LLC paid the money into escrow ahead of Wednesday’s deadline, said plaintiff attorney Jason Forge, who represented people who took seminars that promised to teach success in real estate. Source