Apple resisting order to help hack San Bernardino shooter's iPhone

WASHINGTON -- Apple Inc. CEO Tim Cook said Wednesday his company will resist a federal magistrate's order to hack its users in connection with the investigation of the San Bernardino, California shootings, asserting such a move would undermine encryption by creating a backdoor that could potentially be used on other future devices.

See Full Article

Cook's ferocious response, posted early Wednesday on the company's website, came after an order from U.S. Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym that Apple Inc. help the Obama administration break into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the shooters in the December attack.

The first-of-its-kind ruling was a significant victory for the Justice Department in a technology policy debate that pits digital privacy against national security interests.

Noting the order Tuesday from federal Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym in California, Cook said "this moment calls for public discussion, and we want our customers and people around the country to understand what is at stake."

Cook argued that the order "has implications far beyond the legal case at hand."

Pym ordered Apple to help the FBI hack into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino shooters.., and setting the stage for a legal fight between the federal government and Silicon Valley over a first-of-its-kind ruling.

The order directing Apple to help the FBI break into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardo shooters represents a significant victory for the Justice Department. The Obama administration has embraced stronger encryption as a way to keep consumers safe on the Internet, but struggled to find a compelling example to make its case.

Cook said in the website posting that the U.S. government order would undermine encryption by using specialized software to create an essential back door that he compared to a "master key, capable of opening hundreds of millions of locks."

"In the wrong hands, this software - which does not exist today - would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone's physical possession," Cook wrote. "The FBI may use different words to describe this tool, but make no mistake: Building a version of iOS that bypasses security in this way would undeniably create a back door. And while the government may argue that its use would be limited to this case, there is no way to guarantee such control."

FBI Director James Comey told members of Congress last week that encryption is a major problem for law enforcement who "find a device that can't be opened even when a judge says there's probable cause to open it."

The ruling Tuesday tied the problem to the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 people in a Dec. 2 shooting at a holiday luncheon for Farook's co-workers. The couple later died in a gun battle with police.

Federal prosecutors told the judge in a court proceeding Tuesday - that was conducted without Apple being allowed to participate - that investigators can't access a work phone used by Farook because they don't know his passcode and Apple has not cooperated. Under U.S. law, a work phone is generally the property of a person's employer. The judge told Apple to provide an estimate of its cost to comply with her order, suggesting that the government will be expected to pay for the work.

Apple has provided default encryption on its iPhones since 2014, allowing any device's contents to be accessed only by the user who knows the phone's passcode.

The ruling by Pym, a former federal prosecutor, requires Apple to supply highly specialized software the FBI can load onto the county-owned work iPhone to bypass a self-destruct feature, which erases the phone's data after too many unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. The FBI wants to be able to try different combinations in rapid sequence until it finds the right one.

It was not immediately clear what investigators believe they might find on Farook's work phone or why the information would not be available from third-party service providers, such as Google or Facebook, though investigators think the device may hold clues about whom the couple communicated with and where they may have traveled.

The couple took pains to physically destroy two personally owned cell phones, crushing them beyond the FBI's ability to recover information from them. They also removed a hard drive from their computer; it has not been found despite investigators diving for days for potential electronic evidence in a nearby lake.

Farook was not carrying his work iPhone during the attack. It was discovered after a subsequent search. It was not known whether Farook forgot about the iPhone or did not care whether investigators found it.

The phone was running the newest version of Apple's iPhone operating system, which requires a passcode and cannot be accessed by Apple, unlike earlier operating systems or older phone models. San Bernardino County provided Farook with an iPhone configured to erase data after 10 consecutive unsuccessful unlocking attempts. The FBI said that feature appeared to be active on Farook's iPhone as of the last time he performed a backup.

The judge didn't spell out her rationale in her three-page order, but the ruling comes amid a similar case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.

Investigators are still working to piece together a missing 18 minutes in Farook and Malik's timeline from Dec. 2. Investigators have concluded they were at least partly inspired by the Islamic State group; Malik's Facebook page included a note pledging allegiance to the group's leader around the time of the attack.

In 2014, Apple updated its iPhone operating system to require that the phone be locked by a passcode that only the user knows. Previously, the company could use an extraction tool that would physically plug into the phone and allow it to respond to search warrant requests from the government.

FBI Director James Comey told members of Congress last week that encryption is a major problem for law enforcement who "find a device that can't be opened even when a judge says there's probable cause to open it."


Latest Canada & World News

  • Cubs beat Dodgers, advance to World Series for 1st time in 71 years

    World News CBC News
    Cursed by a Billy Goat, bedeviled by Bartman and crushed by decades of disappointment, the Chicago Cubs are at long last headed back to the World Series. Kyle Hendricks outpitched Clayton Kershaw, Anthony Rizzo and Willson Contreras homered early and the Cubs won their first pennant since 1945, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 Saturday night in Game 6 of the NL Championship Series. Source
  • SHERRING: Tots with cancer spells stress – and many extra bills

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    In a perfect world, with life as it should be, kids would just never get cancer. In Lisa Garland’s life, that’s not the way things unfolded. In fact, Garland and her husband Nino Filoso have two sons and somehow both boys were struck with cancer, two different types — and no predisposed or genetic reason to relate them. Source
  • 'It’s here again': Strong winds, rain spark flood worries on Cape Breton Island

    Canada News CTV News
    Strong winds and heavy rain pounded Cape Breton, N.S. for the second time in less than two weeks on Saturday. The downpour caused major concern among residents who are already dealing with the aftermath of a storm last week that brought more than 220 millimetres of rain, flooding thousands of homes in the region. Source
  • Porn star accuses Donald Trump of offering $10,000 to come alone to hotel suite

    World News Toronto Sun
    An adult film actress on Saturday accused Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump or someone acting on his behalf of offering her $10,000 and the use of his private jet if she would agree to come alone to his hotel suite at night after a golf tournament in Lake Tahoe in 2006. Source
  • Woman nets 30 months in jail for sex with teen boy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Manitoba woman who admitted to having a four-month-long sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy has been sentenced to 30 months in prison. The now 26-year-old accused previously pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference. She is not being named to protect the identity of her victim. Source
  • Mother of young murder victim sickened to learn her daughter's killer has been granted weekend passes

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    While child killer Harold Smeltzer enjoys his first weekend pass away from his life sentence, the mother of the little Calgary girl he killed in 1980 sits feeling helpless and sick to her stomach. “It never goes away,” Evelyn Thompson said of that pain and fear that took over her life almost 37 years ago. Source
  • Winnipeg teen with cerebral palsy hosts his own sports show

    Canada News CTV News
    A Winnipeg teen living with cerebral palsy has embarked on an inspiring journey to live out his dream of becoming a sports broadcaster. Despite being wheelchair-bound and having a speech impediment, 17-year-old Jordan Rogodzinski hosts his very own internet sports show called the “Jordan 411 Sports Show. Source
  • 100 mostly barefoot inmates escape Haiti lockup

    World News Toronto Sun
    ARCAHAIE, Haiti — More than 100 mostly barefoot inmates overpowered guards on Saturday and escaped from a lockup in central Haiti, officials said. Judge Henry Claude Louis-Jean said the prison break occurred in Arcahaie, a coastal town about 30 miles north of Haiti’s capital. Source
  • Bad weather damages booms, spreads diesel spill from sunken tug off B.C. coast

    Canada News CTV News
    BELLA BELLA, B.C. -- Heavy weather conditions are causing a diesel spill from a sunken tugboat to spread in the waters off British Columbia's remote central coast. A spokeswoman for Kirby Offshore Marine, which owns the tug, says the booms that were containing the spill have been compromised due to high winds and three-metre waves. Source
  • 174 inmates escape, 1 guard shot dead in 'violent' Haitian prison break

    World News CBC News
    Most inmates of a northern Haitian prison escaped on Saturday after killing a guard and stealing firearms, said authorities who launched a manhunt with support from UN peacekeepers for the 174 fugitives. Police set up checkpoints on roads leading from the prison and detained several people without identity cards, a Reuters witness said. Source