Republican candidates battle to keep campaigns alive

CHARLESTON, S.C. - Jeb Bush, John Kasich and Marco Rubio are locked in a high-stakes political chess match in South Carolina in a bid to pull ahead in the Republican primary race - or at least keep their campaigns afloat if they don't.

See Full Article

The manoeuvring comes as some Republican leaders fear Donald Trump or Ted Cruz will begin piling up the delegates needed to secure the nomination before one of the more mainstream candidates can consolidate the support of voters turned off by the brash billionaire and Texas senator, who so-called establishment Republicans believe could jeopardize the party's chances of winning in November's general election.

"We do need to get the field down to Trump, Cruz and somebody," said Henry Barbour, a Republican National Committee heavyweight from Mississippi.

The Democratic field is already down to two candidates - Hillary Clinton, the former Secretary of State, and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. Clinton is counting on strong support among African-Americans who twice backed her husband, former President Bill Clinton, to act as a firewall against the surprisingly strong insurgent campaign of Sanders.

The only thing that is clear heading into Saturday's pivotal Republican primary in South Carolina appears to be Trump's grip on the lead following his victory in the New Hampshire primary. Cruz, the winner of the Iowa caucuses, is also in the mix for a strong finish.

But the more mainstream lane populated by Bush, Kasich and Rubio is more jumbled. Bush's campaign now sees an opening to capitalize on Rubio's fifth-place finish in New Hampshire, while Kasich's strong second-place showing there has given the Ohio governor reason to keep his campaign going until primaries in friendlier territory in the Midwest. Rubio's team, meanwhile, is quietly confident that South Carolina will prove to be a comeback story for the Florida senator.

Kasich's finish in New Hampshire has scrambled what might have been a do-or-die contest between Bush and Rubio in South Carolina. After initially viewing the first-in-the-South primary as too much of a long-shot for a moderate Midwesterner, Kasich abruptly changed his schedule this week and announced plans to campaign in South Carolina almost every day until Saturday's primary.

"Exceeding expectations is why we're there," Kasich spokesman Chris Schrimpf said.

For Kasich, exceeding expectations would be to finish ahead of Bush, the former Florida governor. Bush has deep family ties to South Carolina - his father and brother each won two Republican primaries here - and a poor showing Saturday could leave him without a compelling rationale to keep his campaign going.

As the third major contest in the primary campaign, South Carolina is accustomed to settling divergent results in Iowa and New Hampshire, with the winner here emerging as the nominee in each presidential cycle from 1980 to 2008. But those typically were two-man contests as the race headed South: Ronald Reagan dispatched George H.W. Bush in 1980, the elder Bush defeated Bob Dole in 1988 and George W. Bush topped John McCain 12 years later.

This time, the gaggle of candidates means there's no clean divide on ideology, personality or anything else.

Even before South Carolina votes, Republican leaders are making the case that candidates who aren't competitive need to swallow their pride and let go of their presidential ambitions.

Katon Dawson, a former South Carolina Republican Party chairman who remains unaligned, put it more bluntly. He said that if a candidate finishes in the single digits Saturday, "you ought to quit."

In the Democratic race, both Clinton and Sanders are making specific appeals to black voters after Sanders won a 22-point victory in last week's New Hampshire' primary, creating a potential opening with black voters for the self-described "democratic socialist."

The Democratic candidates are vying for support in Saturday's Nevada caucuses and then facing off in South Carolina on Feb. 27. Blacks make up more than half of the Democratic primary electorate in South Carolina and several other southern states.


Associated Press writers Julie Pace and Bill Barrow in South Carolina, and Chad Day and Julie Bykowicz in Washington contributed to this report.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Cubs beat Dodgers, advance to World Series for 1st time in 71 years

    World News CBC News
    Cursed by a Billy Goat, bedeviled by Bartman and crushed by decades of disappointment, the Chicago Cubs are at long last headed back to the World Series. Kyle Hendricks outpitched Clayton Kershaw, Anthony Rizzo and Willson Contreras homered early and the Cubs won their first pennant since 1945, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 Saturday night in Game 6 of the NL Championship Series. Source
  • SHERRING: Tots with cancer spells stress – and many extra bills

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    In a perfect world, with life as it should be, kids would just never get cancer. In Lisa Garland’s life, that’s not the way things unfolded. In fact, Garland and her husband Nino Filoso have two sons and somehow both boys were struck with cancer, two different types — and no predisposed or genetic reason to relate them. Source
  • 'It’s here again': Strong winds, rain spark flood worries on Cape Breton Island

    Canada News CTV News
    Strong winds and heavy rain pounded Cape Breton, N.S. for the second time in less than two weeks on Saturday. The downpour caused major concern among residents who are already dealing with the aftermath of a storm last week that brought more than 220 millimetres of rain, flooding thousands of homes in the region. Source
  • Porn star accuses Donald Trump of offering $10,000 to come alone to hotel suite

    World News Toronto Sun
    An adult film actress on Saturday accused Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump or someone acting on his behalf of offering her $10,000 and the use of his private jet if she would agree to come alone to his hotel suite at night after a golf tournament in Lake Tahoe in 2006. Source
  • Woman nets 30 months in jail for sex with teen boy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Manitoba woman who admitted to having a four-month-long sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy has been sentenced to 30 months in prison. The now 26-year-old accused previously pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference. She is not being named to protect the identity of her victim. Source
  • Mother of young murder victim sickened to learn her daughter's killer has been granted weekend passes

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    While child killer Harold Smeltzer enjoys his first weekend pass away from his life sentence, the mother of the little Calgary girl he killed in 1980 sits feeling helpless and sick to her stomach. “It never goes away,” Evelyn Thompson said of that pain and fear that took over her life almost 37 years ago. Source
  • Winnipeg teen with cerebral palsy hosts his own sports show

    Canada News CTV News
    A Winnipeg teen living with cerebral palsy has embarked on an inspiring journey to live out his dream of becoming a sports broadcaster. Despite being wheelchair-bound and having a speech impediment, 17-year-old Jordan Rogodzinski hosts his very own internet sports show called the “Jordan 411 Sports Show. Source
  • 100 mostly barefoot inmates escape Haiti lockup

    World News Toronto Sun
    ARCAHAIE, Haiti — More than 100 mostly barefoot inmates overpowered guards on Saturday and escaped from a lockup in central Haiti, officials said. Judge Henry Claude Louis-Jean said the prison break occurred in Arcahaie, a coastal town about 30 miles north of Haiti’s capital. Source
  • Bad weather damages booms, spreads diesel spill from sunken tug off B.C. coast

    Canada News CTV News
    BELLA BELLA, B.C. -- Heavy weather conditions are causing a diesel spill from a sunken tugboat to spread in the waters off British Columbia's remote central coast. A spokeswoman for Kirby Offshore Marine, which owns the tug, says the booms that were containing the spill have been compromised due to high winds and three-metre waves. Source
  • 174 inmates escape, 1 guard shot dead in 'violent' Haitian prison break

    World News CBC News
    Most inmates of a northern Haitian prison escaped on Saturday after killing a guard and stealing firearms, said authorities who launched a manhunt with support from UN peacekeepers for the 174 fugitives. Police set up checkpoints on roads leading from the prison and detained several people without identity cards, a Reuters witness said. Source