UN probing new allegations of sexual abuse by peacekeepers in Central African Republic

The United Nations said Monday it is investigating new allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation by U.N. peacekeepers in Central African Republic, including against minors.

See Full Article

U.N. deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said details will be announced after an initial probe is completed.

The United Nations has been unable to explain why so many rapes and other sexual abuse by peacekeepers have been alleged in Central African Republic, which has been gripped by deadly violence between Christians and Muslims since late 2013. Thousands of peacekeepers from the United Nations, African Union and Europe have been deployed since then to help restore peace.

Late last month, U.N. Assistant Secretary-General Anthony Banbury said there likely were 22 confirmed allegations of sexual abuse or exploitation in the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Central African Republic in 2015, but the figure could be higher with recent allegations.

As part of a new U.N. policy, Banbury also for the first time publicly named countries whose troops and police in U.N. missions had been accused of sexual abuse and exploitation. He named Congo, Republic of Congo, Bangladesh, Niger and Senegal.

The U.N. also has started repatriations over sexual abuse and exploitation allegations.

On Monday, Haq said the repatriation of a Congolese battalion in Bambari, where a number of cases have been reported, will start on Feb. 25. Some 208 replacement troops from Mauritania have already arrived, he said.

Investigators from the Republic of Congo have arrived in CAR to look into recent allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against their troops, Haq said. The U.N. expects a company of 120 soldiers, who are currently confined to barracks in Berberati as a result of the allegations, to be sent home before the end of the month when the investigation is completed, he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Armed school officer didn't confront Florida gunman, sheriff says

    World News CBC News
    The armed officer on duty at the Florida school where a shooter killed 17 people never went inside to engage the gunman and has been placed under investigation, officials announced Thursday. The Valentine's Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School by a gunman armed with an AR-15 style assault rifle has reignited national debate over gun laws and school safety, including proposals by U.S. Source
  • School officer never went inside to confront gunman, Florida sheriff says

    World News CTV News
    TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The armed officer on duty at the Florida school where a shooter killed 17 people never went inside to engage the gunman and has been placed under investigation, officials announced Thursday. The Valentine's Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School by a gunman armed with an AR-15 style assault rifle has reignited national debate over gun laws and school safety, including proposals by President Donald Trump and others to designate more people -- including trained…
  • 'You didn't win': Singer Susan Aglukark publicly names her abuser at MMIWG hearings

    Canada News CBC News
    Susan Aglukark ended the Rankin Inlet hearing for the inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women by addressing the man she says sexually abused her when she was eight years old. "Norman Ford," she said on Thursday afternoon. Source
  • Jaspal Atwal, B.C. man at centre of media storm over Trudeau invite, likes posing with politicians

    Canada News CBC News
    For a man once convicted of trying to kill a politician, Jaspal Atwal seems to have had little trouble getting his picture taken with MPs, cabinet ministers and Liberal party leaders, including Justin Trudeau. Atwal — convicted in 1986 of the attempted assassination of an Indian state cabinet minister visiting Vancouver Island — is at the centre of an international media storm after posing for photos with Prime Minister Trudeau's wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, and Infrastructure Minister…
  • Tina Fontaine's death and Raymond Cormier's trial: What the jury heard

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- Jurors sat through three weeks of evidence in the trial of Raymond Cormier, 56, who on Thursday was found not guilty of second-degree murder in the slaying of 15-year-old Tina Fontaine. Tina's body, wrapped in a duvet cover and weighed down by rocks, was pulled from the Red River in Winnipeg several days after she disappeared in August 2014. Source
  • B.C. seeks reference case over pipeline to affirm its rights over oil shipments

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- The British Columbia government will ask the courts if it has the right to protect its environment by restricting diluted bitumen in the Trans Mountain pipeline. Premier John Horgan said Thursday his government is filing a constitutional reference case on the issue, which has been at the centre of a heated dispute between B.C. Source
  • Wine ban suspended: Truce called in trade war between B.C. and Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- The Alberta government has accepted an olive branch from British Columbia and is suspending its ban on the province's wine in an ongoing dispute over the Trans Mountain pipeline. Alberta Premier Rachel Notley took the step after B.C. Source
  • Toddler who befriended Nova Scotia garbage men gets special birthday gift

    Canada News CTV News
    Every Wednesday, three-year-old Hiro Getson walks to the end of his driveway, sits down and waits for the garbage truck. Like many kids his age, the toddler from Eastern Passage, N.S. has developed a love of big trucks. Source
  • Raymond Cormier not guilty in death of Tina Fontaine, 15

    Canada News CBC News
    Read our live coverage belowA jury has found Raymond Cormier not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Tina Fontaine. After the verdict was delivered, people in the crowd burst into tears and gasps of disbelief were heard from members of the teen girl's family and supporters. Source
  • Hunters fined for shooting couple's pet pigs

    Canada News CBC News
    Two men who shot and killed a Navan couple's cherished pot-bellied pigs last November have been fined after pleading guilty Thursday. The pigs, named Pickles and Rosie, were companion animals to Matt Nooyen and Lianne Guilbeault, and even participated as members of the couple's wedding party last September. Source