- Category: World News
- Published Monday, February 15, 2016
- CTV News
BERLIN -- Prosecutors say most suspects in a series of robberies and sexual assaults in Cologne at New Year's are refugees.
Cologne prosecutor Ulrich Bremer says 73 suspects have so far been identified, of whom 12 are linked to sexual assaults.
He says recent reports describing only three of the suspects as refugees are "total nonsense."
Bremer told The Associated Press on Monday that "the overwhelming majority of persons fall into the general category of refugees."
Some entered Germany saying they wanted to apply for asylum, others have formally filed an application.
Among the 15 suspects who are in custody is a Moroccan asylum-seeker who entered Germany in November.
A total of 1,075 criminal complaints have been filed, including 467 alleging crimes of a sexual nature ranging from insults to rape.