Italy mourns slain student as premier demands 'truth' from Egypt

ROME -- Italy's premier on Friday insisted his country's friendship with Egypt can only exist "if the truth emerges" in the death of an Italian doctoral student who was doing research in Cairo.

See Full Article

Premier Matteo Renzi, in remarks on Italian state radio on the day of Giulio Regeni's funeral, was keeping up the political pressure on the Egyptian government to find and bring to justice whoever tortured and killed the young man, who had been living in Cairo for a few months to research Egyptian labour movements for his doctorate from Cambridge University.

Regeni's body was found on Feb. 3, nine days after he disappeared while heading to a subway station.

In the victim's hometown of Fiumicello in northeastern Italy, friends streamed in from afar for a private funeral service being held Friday afternoon in a gym. Townspeople opened their homes, offering spare rooms and couches to mourners who couldn't find lodging in the town of a few thousand people.

The media and authorities were excluded, with the 1,000 chairs in the gym reserved for relatives and friends only. Those who couldn't fit inside huddled together under umbrellas in a light rain and followed the service through loudspeakers.

The 28-year-old student disappeared at the same time that Egyptian police and other security agents were out in force on Cairo's streets, determined to quickly quash any demonstrations to recall the anniversary of the country's uprising. His body was discovered along a road on Cairo's outskirts.

"It's a dramatic affair," Renzi said on the radio. "I again express condolences to Giulio's family and I say that which we have told the Egyptians: 'Friendship is a precious thing and it is possible only in truth."'

Italian state TV said, without citing sources, that the Italian investigators have spoken to a witness who told them two men, apparently plainclothes police, stopped Regeni and then escorted him away as the student walked the short distance from his apartment building to the subway stop.

Some of Regeni's friends in Cairo have also told Italian investigators that Regeni was unnerved one day in December when, as the only foreigner attending a labour meeting in the city, someone took his photo and then left.

Egyptian authorites initially blamed Regeni's death on a road accident. A second autopsy, done in Italy after his body arrived last week, determined that Regeni suffered a fatal fracture of a cervical vertebra, either from a strong blow to the neck or caused by a severe, forced, twisting of the neck. His hands, feet and other bones had multiple fractures and his face was heavily bruised, the autopsy found. Italian news reports said toe and fingernails had been ripped off.

Laboratory results to determine when he died are expected to take a few more days.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Military re-opening dozens of sexual assault cases

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Military officials say they have moved this year to force out 77 service members found guilty of sexual misconduct. Many of the cases are older and none of the members have been released yet, as their files go through what the military says is due process. Source
  • Iraqi officials: Car bomb kills 4, wounds 8

    World News CTV News
    BAGHDAD - Iraqi police and hospital officials say a car bomb at a police station in central Baghdad killed four people and wounded eight late Friday night. The explosion targeted the back entrance to the police station and a burning car sent a plume of thick black smoke into the air. Source
  • No ebbing in Chicago’s tide of blood [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    The dead were comprised of young, old, black and white. There was no special shield for a respected judge nor for small children. All are part of Chicago’s relentless carnage that last week hit a sickening new milestone. Source
  • Warren, Sanders unhappy about Obama's US-$400K Wall Street speech

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are not happy about reports that former President Barack Obama will be paid $400,000 to speak at a September health care conference put on by the Wall Street firm Cantor Fitzgerald. Source
  • No sign driver tried to brake before hitting gas station attendant: police expert

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- A police investigator says there was no indication that the driver of a truck involved in a hit and run that killed a gas station worker tried to brake. Const. Kevin Spear, a collision reconstructionist, testified Friday at the trial of Joshua Cody Mitchell, 22, who is charged with second-degree murder. Source
  • Ontario making abortion pill Mifegymiso free for all who need it

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Ontario government is promising to soon make an abortion pill free for all women in the province. Mifegymiso, known as RU-486 outside of Canada, is a combination of two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol. Source
  • Trump revives 'Pocahontas' insult of Elizabeth Warren

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- President Donald Trump revived one of his favourite -- and most provocative -- taunts against Elizabeth Warren on Friday, derisively calling the Massachusetts senator "Pocahontas." Trump mocked Warren repeatedly during the presidential campaign for claims she made about being part Native American. Source
  • Man who worked at Alberta daycare accused of possessing child porn

    Canada News CTV News
    WETASKIWIN, Alta. -- A 40-year-old man who worked at a daycare has been charged with possessing and distributing child pornography. The Internet Child Exploitation unit says they want to speak with families who may have used Tykes and Tots Day Home in Wetaskiwin. Source
  • Donald Trump to NRA: 'Eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end'

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA - President Donald Trump reaffirmed his support for gun rights Friday, telling attendees of a National Rifle Association convention that “the eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end.” Trump, the first sitting president to address the group’s annual convention in more than 30 years, assured the audience that he would defend their right to bear arms in a campaign-like speech reminiscent of his election rallies. Source
  • U.S. seeks tough North Korea action, but China shows no inclination

    World News Toronto Sun
    Turning to diplomacy after flexing military muscle, the United States will urge the U.N. Security Council on Friday to increase economic pressure on North Korea over its nuclear weapons program, leaning on China in particular to turn the screws on its wayward ally. Source