Hong Kong bookseller 'removed' in breach of China treaty

HONG KONG -- Britain says a missing Hong Kong bookseller was likely abducted to mainland China, calling it a "serious breach" of the treaty under which Beijing took control of the city.

See Full Article

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said in a twice-yearly report on Hong Kong affairs released Thursday that Lee Bo was "involuntarily removed" to the mainland.

Britain's Foreign Office said it was the first time that Britain has accused China of a "serious breach" of the 1984 treaty, although it has previously raised concerns about Chinese compliance.

Lee, a British citizen, is one of five men linked to Hong Kong publishing company Mighty Current Media and its Causeway Bay Bookshop who have gone missing in recent months only to turn up later in mainland China. Their disappearances have raised international concern,

Lee is chief editor of Mighty Current, which specialized in books critical of China's communist leadership that were banned in the mainland but popular with visiting Chinese tourists.

Hammond said while visiting Beijing last month that he made urgent inquiries with Chinese authorities about Lee's whereabouts.

Lee's disappearance at the end of December sparked international concern because he was last seen at his company's Hong Kong warehouse and didn't have his mainland China travel permit with him, raising suspicions he was snatched by Chinese security agents who crossed over from the mainland. He later sent letters to his wife saying he was helping with an investigation on the mainland, though some believe he was coerced.

"The full facts of the case remain unclear, but our current information indicates that Mr. Lee was involuntarily removed to the mainland without any due process under Hong Kong SAR law," the report said.

"This constitutes a serious breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration on Hong Kong and undermines the principle of 'one country, two systems' which assures Hong Kong residents of the protection of the Hong Kong legal system," the report added.

The Joint Declaration is the treaty signed in 1984 between Britain and China safeguarding Hong Kong's rights and freedoms after Beijing took power in 1997. Under the "one country, two systems" principle, Hong Kong retains a high degree of control over its own affairs, including law enforcement.

The Hong Kong government said in a statement Friday that while its police are continuing to investigate and have sought assistance from mainland authorities, "Any suggestion that 'Mr. Lee was involuntarily removed to the mainland' remains speculative."

China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not respond to a faxed request for comment. Beijing has previously said Hong Kong enjoys sufficient autonomy.

Lee's colleague, Swedish citizen Gui Minhai, disappeared from Thailand in October and turned up last month on Chinese state TV to confess to a decade-old fatal drunk driving accident. Hong Kong police said last week the three other men are being held on the mainland for an investigation into unspecified "illegal activities."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Norway's king hospitalized with infection

    World News CTV News
    HELSINKI - Norway's royal palace says King Harald has been hospitalized with an infection and remains in satisfactory condition with improving health. The royal palace said in a short statement Sunday that the 80-year-old monarch is being treated at an Oslo hospital where he was taken Friday but didn't disclose further details. Source
  • Violent evictions, homelessness are the cost of Lagos, Nigeria's megacity

    World News CBC News
    "I was born and brought up in Otodo Gbame community," says 31-year-old Julius Oladele, sitting with his feet burning on the hot sand strewn with broken glass, bamboo and corrugated iron sheets. "They came in November 2016. Source
  • Police question Israeli leader over corruption accusations

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- Police have arrived at the official residence of Israel's prime minister in what is believed to be part of an investigation into corruption allegations. Police have previously questioned Benjamin Netanyahu over allegations that he received gifts from Hollywood and business figures. Source
  • 1 dead after training exercise at CFB Shilo

    Canada News CTV News
    One person is dead following a training exercise at CFB Shilo, a spokesperson for the Canadian Forces tells CTV News. "Family notification is still ongoing. We will not release any further information until that has been properly ?completed," Lori Truscott said in an emailed statement. Source
  • Key players in Zimbabwe's political crisis

    World News CBC News
    A lot has happened in the past few days in Zimbabwe, where the world's oldest head of state tries to remain in power even under military house arrest. Thousands of giddy Zimbabweans have poured in the streets to demand his departure, tired of a collapsing economy that once was one of Africa's strongest. Source
  • Canadians win team relay silver at luge World Cup

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada earned a medal in the first team relay event of the season at the luge World Cup in Innsbruck, Austria, on Sunday. Alex Gough, Mitchel Malyk, Tristan Walker, and Justin Snith combined to finish 0.358 seconds behind the German sleds. Source
  • Three suspicious fires in Vancouver suburb set within 90 minutes: police

    Canada News CTV News
    A trio of suspicious fires in a Vancouver suburb is raising concerns that an arsonist may be on the loose. Police said the fires happened in the span of an hour-and-a-half early Saturday morning in Delta, B.C. Source
  • Person dies during armed forces training exercise in Manitoba

    Canada News CBC News
    A person has died during a training exercise at an army base in Manitoba. The person was killed at CFB Shilo, about 205 kilometres west of Winnipeg, on Saturday, a spokesperson for the base confirmed to CBC News. Source
  • Satellite signals give hope in search for missing Argentine submarine

    World News CBC News
    A search and rescue operation for an Argentine navy submarine missing in the South Atlantic with 44 crew members aboard reached its third day on Sunday, after failed satellite calls likely from the vessel raised hopes the crew are alive. Source
  • Secret Service apprehends attempted White House fence jumper

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Secret Service says an individual has been taken into custody after attempting to jump a security barrier on the Pennsylvania Avenue side of the White House. President Donald Trump was inside the White House during the Sunday morning incident. Source