North Koreans outside closed factories lose steady water supply

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of -- Among the losers in the retaliatory sparring between the rival Koreas are residents who had been depending on a rarity in impoverished North Korea: a steady supply of water from the now-shuttered jointly run factory park in the North Korean border city of Kaesong.

See Full Article

Seoul said Friday that water and power had been shut down at what had been the two Koreas' last major symbol of co-operation. It was the latest development in a standoff that started with North Korea's nuclear test last month, followed by its long-range rocket launch Sunday. South Korea responded by beginning work Thursday to shut down the Kaesong factories, the last major symbol of Korean co-operation. North Korea then ejected all South Korean workers, seized the companies' assets and vowed to militarize the park.

South Korea had been using a facility it built at a reservoir near the park to pump about 17,000 tons of water into Kaesong every day, according to an official at the South's state-run water management company who didn't want to be identified because he wasn't authorized to talk to reporters.

About 7,000 tons of the daily water supply were used by the park's factories, and the remaining 10,000 tons were used by area residents, he said. He didn't know how many Kaesong residents used the water but estimated that it could be as many as tens of thousands of people. He said North Korea cannot use the water facility without finding an alternative source of electricity, something that could be difficult in a country with unreliable power supplies.

Analysts believe that North Korea's annual nationwide electricity output would only be enough to power Seoul, the South Korean capital of 10 million, for less than four months. About one-fifth of North Korea's electricity is believed to be diverted to its 1.2 million-person military.

South Korean government analysts say the area around the Kaesong factory park was one of the few places outside of the North Korean capital, Pyongyang, that enjoyed a stable power and water supply, largely because of the infrastructure built by Seoul.

That's over now.

Less than an hour after hundreds of South Koreans safely returned home late Thursday after being deported by North Korea, South Korea cut off power to the complex, which in turned disabled its water supply system, according to Seoul's Unification Ministry.

More than 120 South Korean companies employed about 54,000 North Koreans at the factories in Kaesong. They say a prolonged cutoff of electricity and water will severely damage their factory equipment and could permanently kill the park.

When North Korea withdrew its workers from the park for five months in 2013, Seoul maintained a minimum level of power and water supplies to the park in the hope that it would reopen soon.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Regulating body for Ontario engineers investigates Nipigon River Bridge failure

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - The regulating body for professional engineers in Ontario is investigating the possibility of incompetence in the failure of the Nipigon River bridge last January, which severed a critical link on the Trans-Canada Highway. Source
  • Canadian youth more likely 'to live independently' than Italian, American counterparts

    Canada News CTV News
    A new social indicators report has shown that more Canadian youth are likely to leave home and live independently in comparison with their European and American counterparts. In a report recently released by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, data showed that approximately 31 per cent of Canadians between the ages of 15-29 live with their parents. Source
  • Anti-terror police arrest man over London subway alert

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- British police say they have arrested a 19-year-old man on suspicion of a terrorism offence over a suspicious package discovered on a London subway train. The Metropolitan Police force says officers used a stun gun while detaining the man Friday on a busy city street. Source
  • Monsef visit to Iran raises questions

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Liberal MP Maryam Monsef tried to move back to Afghanistan in 2014. Instead she visited Iran where she was encouraged to run for office here in Canada. This is according to a French-language profile in Le Devoir written well before it was revealed Monsef was born in Iran, not Afghanistan as she claims she’s always believed. Source
  • May tries to reassure EU as U.K. seeks trade pacts alone

    World News CTV News
    BRUSSELS -- Prime Minister Theresa May signalled Friday that Britain is paving the way for trade talks with other countries well before it leaves the European Union but sought to reassure partners that this would not undermine the bloc's trade aims. Source
  • Meet the new Anne of Green Gables: CBC series finds its star in Irish-Canadian actress

    Canada News CBC News
    For 14-year-old Amybeth McNulty, it's the role of a lifetime. She beat more than 1,800 girls from Canada and abroad to land the starring turn as Anne in the new CBC adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. Source
  • Family violence increases risk for many conditions, Dr. Gregory Taylor tells Canadians

    Canada News CBC News
    More than 230 Canadians a day are victims of family violence that are reported to police, Canada's chief public health officer says in releasing a new report on a seldom discussed issue. Dr. Gregory Taylor's 2016 report on the state of public health focuses on family violence, including sexual, emotional, and financial abuse, as well as neglect. Source
  • Ex-top diplomat: Duterte's China shift a 'national tragedy'

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines -- A former top Filipino diplomat, who brought the triumphant arbitration case against China over territorial disputes, said Friday the Philippine president's declaration to pivot away from Washington to Beijing should be regarded "a national tragedy. Source
  • 'I will see him again in heaven': Hopes dim for Haiti's missing hurricane victims

    World News CBC News
    Nobody has seen or heard from Edma Desravine, a 71-year-old grandfather known for his sly sense of humour and bad luck at cock fights, in the roughly 2 1/2 weeks since Hurricane Matthew sent floodwaters and debris crashing into his riverside shantytown. Source
  • New Brunswick city grapples with bylaw restricting trick-or-treaters

    Canada News CTV News
    BATHURST, N.B. -- Older teens hoping to take to the streets of a northern New Brunswick community on Halloween may find an unusual bylaw standing in the way of their sugary pursuits. The City of Bathurst has a long-standing, but little-known rule on the books that forbids trick-or-treating or wearing a face covering after 7 p.m. Source