Teenage girl suicide bomber gets cold feet, refuses to kill

ABUJA, Nigeria -- Strapped with a booby-trapped vest and sent by the extremist Boko Haram group to kill as many people as possible, the young teenage girl tore off the explosives and fled as soon as she was out of sight of her handlers.

See Full Article

Her two companions, however, completed their grisly mission and walked into a crowd of hundreds at Dikwa refugee camp in northeast Nigeria and blew themselves up, killing 58 people.

Later found by local self-defence forces, the girl's tearful account is one of the first indications that at least some of the child bombers used by Boko Haram are aware that they are about to die and kill others.

"She said she was scared because she knew she would kill people. But she was also frightened of going against the instructions of the men who brought her to the camp," said Modu Awami, a self-defence fighter who helped question the girl.

Her story was corroborated when she led soldiers to the unexploded vest, Awami said Thursday, speaking by phone from the refugee camp, which holds 50,000 people who have fled Boko Haram's Islamic uprising.

The girl is in custody and has given officials information about other planned bombings that has helped them increase security at the camp, said Satomi Ahmed, chairman of the Borno State Emergency Management Agency.

The United States on Thursday strongly condemned the bombings. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said the U.S. remains committed to assisting those afflicted by the conflict and supports efforts to provide greater protection for civilians and the regional fight against terrorism.

Boko Haram's 6-year-old Islamic insurgency has killed 20,000 people, made 2.5 million homeless and spread across Nigeria's borders.

Awami said he had no information about how the girl came to be with Boko Haram. The extremists have kidnapped thousands of people and there are fears they are turning some captives into weapons. An army bomb disposal expert has told the AP that some suicide bombs are detonated remotely, so the carriers may not have control over when the bomb goes off.

Even two days later, it's difficult to say exactly how many people died at Dikwa because there were corpses and body parts everywhere, including in the cooking pots, Awami said.

"Women, children, men and aged persons all died," he said. "I cannot say the exact number as some cannot be counted because the bodies were all mangled."

The latest atrocity blamed on Boko Haram extremists was committed against people who had been driven from the homes by the insurgents and had spent a year across the border in Cameroon.

They had only returned to Nigeria in January when soldiers declared the area safe. The scene of the killings is 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the border with Cameroon and 85 kilometres (53 miles) northeast of Maiduguri, the biggest city in the northeast and birthplace of Boko Haram.

Such attacks make it difficult for the government to persuade people to return home. The extremists have also razed homes and businesses, destroyed wells and boreholes and stolen livestock and seed grains that farmers need to start their life again.

Associated Press writer Michelle Faul contributed to this report from Lagos, Nigeria



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • UN to vote on 30-day extension of expert body on Syria

    World News CTV News
    The UN Security Council has scheduled a vote Friday evening on a resolution that would extend for 30 days the mandate of the expert body charged with determining responsibility for chemical weapons attacks in Syria. Source
  • Police allege Toronto man, 32, placed online ad seeking sex with young girls

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Police say a 32-year-old Toronto man is facing charges in a child luring investigation. Investigators allege the accused posted an online classified ad, using the email address mikailusmaximus?åògmail.com, looking to have sex with young girls. Source
  • Italy buries 26 drowned Nigerian migrant women

    World News CTV News
    SALERNO, Italy -- More than two dozen young Nigerian women who drowned during a migrant crossing from Libya were honoured Friday with an interfaith funeral, closing out a gruesome new chapter in the years-long tragedy of desperate migrants trying to reach Europe and dying along the way. Source
  • Wife of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore says he won't quit

    World News CTV News
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- The wife of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore said Friday her husband won't quit the race in the face of allegations that he sexually assaulted young women years ago. Standing on the white marble steps of the state capitol, Kayla Moore was joined by several dozen women at a rally supporting Moore as she spoke in defence of her husband. Source
  • Dozens killed in bombings in Damascus, eastern Syria

    World News CBC News
    At least five children and two rescue workers were killed Friday in a Damascus suburb during a government bombing campaign amid escalating violence in and around the capital despite a truce, activists reported. State media said that rebels shelled government-controlled neighbourhoods of Damascus, killing at least three civilians. Source
  • Rev. Jesse Jackson discloses Parkinson's disease diagnosis

    World News CTV News
    CHICAGO -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson disclosed publicly Friday that he has been seeking outpatient care for two years for Parkinson's disease and plans to "dedicate" himself to physical therapy. In a Friday letter to supporters, the 76-year-old civil rights icon said family and friends noticed a change in him about three years ago and he could no longer ignore symptoms of the chronic neurological disorder that causes movement difficulties. Source
  • Psychiatrist says terror suspect Mohamed Harkat poses low risk of violence

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A psychiatrist who has treated terror suspect Mohamed Harkat for the last eight years says the refugee from Algeria is unlikely to commit violent acts. Dr. Colin Cameron has told a Federal Court of Canada hearing on Harkat's release conditions that his patient supports democracy and expresses revulsion about terrorist attacks. Source
  • Toronto man gets 5 years in prison for claiming nearly $1M in tax refunds

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A Toronto man has been sentenced to five years in prison for claiming nearly $1 million in Goods and Services Tax and Harmonized Sales Tax refunds to which he wasn't entitled. The Canada Revenue Agency says Alexander Wiafe -- who was convicted of fraud over $5,000 -- also was fined $96,000 and faces an additional 18 months in custody if the fine isn't paid within five years of his release. Source
  • Smoke, crackling sound coming from incinerator in 2012, Smich's ex tells Babcock trial

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The ex-girlfriend of one of two men accused of murdering a young Toronto woman and burning her remains in a massive animal incinerator says she once saw the large piece of equipment in action. Source
  • Documentary retraces Edmonton fur trader's past journeys in Canadian Arctic

    Canada News CBC News
    Reels of 8-mm film, long forgotten in a dusty attic, inspired Hugh Kroetsch to retrace his steps through Canada's High Arctic in a father-and-son expedition nearly seven decades in the making. Hugh Kroetsch, 85, and his filmmaker son Frederick travelled north last summer, visiting communities the elder Kroetsch had first seen as a fur trader in the 1950s. Source