Chris Christie drops out of Republican race

NASHUA, N.H. -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie dropped out of the Republican nomination for president on Wednesday, a day after his disappointing sixth-place finish in New Hampshire's primary.

See Full Article

Campaign spokeswoman Samantha Smith said Christie shared his decision with staff at his campaign headquarters in Morristown, New Jersey, late Wednesday afternoon, and was calling donors and other supporters.

Christie on Tuesday night told supporters he was heading home to New Jersey to "take a deep breath," await the final tally of results from New Hampshire and decide what to do next. He said he was leaving New Hampshire "without an ounce of regret," but spoke of his campaign in the past tense at one point and cancelled a Wednesday event in next-to-vote South Carolina.

Christie dropped out of the race the same day that Carly Fiorina announced on social media that she, too, was calling it quits. The former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard won just 4 per cent of the vote in New Hampshire. Christie had 7 per cent.

Christie had been banking on a strong finish in New Hampshire and spent more than 70 days campaigning in the state, holding well-received town halls and meet-and-greets.

But Tuesday's result appeared to be the final blow for a candidate whose campaign saw glimmers of hope at times, but had trouble from the get-go raising money and building support in a crowded Republican field dominated by another brash East Coaster, businessman Donald Trump.

While Trump posed a challenge to the entire Republican field, his dominance seemed especially damaging to Christie, who had branded himself the "telling it like it is" candidate.

When he returns home to finish his second term as governor, Christie will face a slew of unsolved problems and rock-bottom approval ratings from residents who, polls show, feel he neglected New Jersey to pursue his national ambitions.

Christie racked up a long list of notable endorsements from state legislative leaders in New Hampshire. At the end of 2015, he appeared to be breaking into the top tier after a video of him discussing a friend's struggle with drug addiction went viral.

The terrorist attacks in Paris and San Bernardino in particular played to Christie's advantage, allowing him to talk about his previous job as a U.S. attorney and play up his law-and-order credentials. And a commanding performance during the last GOP debate before the New Hampshire primary earned him strong reviews.

But with a field filled with numerous other options, including current and former governors and senators, Christie never consolidated support, despite being praised by both fans and rivals as one of the Republican Party's best communicators.

Christie may have missed a better chance at the White House four year ago, when some of his party's most powerful statesmen and donors begged him to run in 2012. But Christie declined, saying that he didn't feel like he was ready.

Christie's aggressive political team worked to rack up endorsements and wide victory margins in his re-election bid for governor as a springboard for 2016. At the same time, his aides took their game of doling out political favours and punishments too far, leading to one of the most dumbfounding political scandals in recent memory. Aides purposely created traffic jams in the town of Fort Lee to punish the mayor, who chose not to endorse Christie's re-election.

While Christie first laughed off the suggestion that his team had anything to do with the plot, the denials quickly unraveled following the release of emails, including one from a top aide that read, "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."

Three people have been indicted in the scheme, including a former high school classmate of the governor who has pleaded guilty and is working with federal prosecutors.

Other Republicans who have left the race include South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump stands to personally benefit from his own tax plan

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Among the likely winners in President Donald Trump's tax-cut plan would be a real estate developer turned reality TV star who now happens to occupy the White House. The one-page proposal released Wednesday seems sure to benefit the president's businesses. Source
  • Kevin O’Leary says he tried to convince Maxime Bernier to quit Conservative race

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Kevin O’Leary may be gone from the Conservative leadership race, but he doesn’t intend to let himself be forgotten. Instead, the reality TV star and businessman said merger talks were held Thursday between his campaign and Maxime Bernier’s to solidify a plan for the pair to work together between now and May 27, when the new leader is chosen. Source
  • U.K. anti-terror police detain man with knives near Parliament

    World News CBC News
    Armed police carrying out a counterterrorism operation Thursday swooped in on a man they said was carrying knives in a bag near Britain's Parliament and arrested him on suspicion of planning an attack. A European security official familiar with the individual said the suspect was known to British security agencies and was thought to have been inspired by ISIS (the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria). Source
  • Five things to know about the Ontario budget delivered Thursday

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario's Liberal government delivered its first balanced budget in a decade on Thursday. Here are five things you need to know about the financial plan: POLITICAL CONTEXT: The $141-billion budget -- which includes measures aimed at youth, seniors, parents, homeowners and anyone who uses the health-care system -- comes as the provincial Liberals prepare for next year's election campaign. Source
  • Ontario budget 2017: Health-care spending up as budget hits balance

    Canada News CBC News
    The Ontario government is celebrating getting the books back to balance with significant investments in health care, including a youth pharmacare program, as detailed in the spring budget unveiled Thursday in Toronto. The governing Liberals have fulfilled their pledge to return to black ink by 2017-18. Source
  • U.S. man claims mouse in Coca-Cola can forced him to miss work

    World News CTV News
    MITCHELL, S.D. -- A South Dakota man who claims to have found a mouse in a can of soda is suing Coca-Cola Co., saying he missed 60 hours of work and accumulated $1,000 in medical bills after becoming ill. Source
  • Christy Clark says all Canadians involved in U.S. softwood offer balked

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- British Columbia's Liberal leader says everyone involved in a potential softwood lumber agreement said No when the United States offered a "lousy" deal that would have cost her province 20,000 forestry jobs. Christy Clark said talks with former president Barack Obama ended because of opposition by the prime minister, the international trade minister and lumber employers in B.C. Source
  • Kevin O'Leary met with Andrew Scheer before backing Maxime Bernier

    Canada News CBC News
    Kevin O'Leary praised Maxime Bernier on Wednesday as the candidate who best "mirrors" his policies, but CBC News has learned the reality TV star also held talks with another Conservative leadership candidate the night before. O'Leary had an extensive face-to-face meeting with Andrew Scheer in Toronto on Tuesday night. Source
  • Two Canadian border agents charged with drug smuggling

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Two Canadian border agents are among five people arrested on suspicion of drug smuggling. RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency say the agents worked out of Toronto's Pearson International Airport. Authorities allege the pair facilitated the importation of more than 30 kilograms of cocaine between January last year and April this year. Source
  • Another court delay for 2 men accused of assaulting Dennis Oland in prison

    Canada News CTV News
    MIRAMICHI, N.B. -- The case of two Halifax men charged with assaulting Dennis Oland in a New Brunswick prison has been delayed yet again. Convicted killer Cody Alexander Muise and Aaron Marriott, who was convicted in a 2008 drug shooting, allegedly attacked Oland at Atlantic Institution in Renous, N.B. Source