Carly Fiorina drops out of Republican race

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Former technology executive Carly Fiorina exited the 2016 Republican presidential race Wednesday, after winning praise for her debate prowess but struggling to build a winning coalition in a crowded GOP field.

See Full Article

"While I suspend my candidacy today, I will continue to travel this country and fight for those Americans who refuse to settle for the way things are and a status quo that no longer works for them," Fiorina wrote in a Facebook statement.

"I will continue to serve in order to restore citizen government to this great nation so that together we may fulfil our potential," the statement said.

Fiorina, 61, entered the tumultuous Republican primary in April. She promoted herself as an outsider with business experience and argued that as the lone woman in the GOP field she was best positioned to oppose likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. After a standout performance in the first undercard debate, Fiorina rose to the mainstage and soared in the polls in the fall. But her momentum quickly stalled and by the end of the year she had dropped back down.

Fiorina won applause from women on both sides of the aisle in the second Republican debate in September when she was asked to respond to Donald Trump's comments criticizing her face.

"I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said," Fiorina said calmly. Trump sought to smooth things over, saying "I think she's got a beautiful face and I think she's a beautiful woman."

Fiorina's first major foray in to politics was in 2010, when she ran for Senate in California and lost to incumbent Sen. Barbara Boxer by 10 points.

Throughout her presidential bid, Fiorina emphasized her meteoric rise in the business world. A Stanford University graduate, she started her career as a secretary, earned an MBA and worked her way up at AT&T to become a senior executive at the telecom giant.

But she was also dogged by questions about her record at Hewlett-Packard, where she was hired as CEO in 1999. She was fired six years later, after leading a major merger with Compaq and laying off 30,000 workers.


Latest Canada & World News

  • UN investigator: Trump is peddling 'lies' on Syria-IS link

    World News CTV News
    The U.N. special investigator on counterterrorism and human rights accused Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Friday of peddling "lies and xenophobia" by claiming a link between Syrian refugees and Islamic State extremists. British human rights lawyer Ben Emmerson told a press conference "there is no evidence that terrorist groups take advantage of refugee flows to carry out acts of terrorism, or that refugees are somehow more prone to radicalization than others. Source
  • Muslim parents demand answers from York board about principal's Facebook posts

    Canada News CBC News
    Parents and students are demanding answers from the York Region District School Board about an investigation into Facebook posts by an elementary school principal that they say are offensive to Muslims. CBC News has spoken to a Muslim mother and her pre-teen daughter, who didn't want to be named, because the girl is still a senior student at Sir Wilfrid Laurier Public School in Markham where Ghada Sadaka is the principal. Source
  • Court hears B.C. Mountie twice convicted of punching Indigenous suspects

    Canada News CBC News
    A veteran RCMP officer convicted of punching a handcuffed Indigenous teenager was previously convicted of assaulting an Indigenous man in a jail cell more than a decade ago. The earlier assault was revealed during a sentencing hearing for Terrace, B.C. Source
  • ISIS fighter jumps for joy after learning he will be next to die

    World News Toronto Sun
    Most people wouldn’t be pleased if they drew the short straw to blow themselves to smithereens. But one ISIS jihadi couldn’t contain his glee when he won the one-way ticket to martyrdom via a bomb-packed “suicide truck” Source
  • Soylent meal replacement bars recalled after illnesses reported

    Canada News CBC News
    Soylent meal replacement bars are being recalled after reports of illness, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Friday. The bars, which are sold online in Canada, are also being recalled in the United States and are not currently being sold on the company's website. Source
  • Edmonton boy, 5, dropped off bus four kilometres from his daycare

    Canada News CTV News
    A five-year-old Edmonton boy was dropped off from a school bus alone and 23 blocks from his daycare, in a case school officials admit is a “serious” error. Casey’s mother Simone Cardinal says her son is “traumatized” by the incident. Source
  • India call centre crackdown targets CRA phone scammers

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Crooks have raked in a fortune screaming at Canadians on the phone and threatening to lock them up for unpaid taxes, but a crackdown in India has had shocking results. Reported Canadian losses in the so-called CRA phone scam have virtually evaporated in the weeks since the Oct. Source
  • Female pastor, 3 others guilty in church torture with electrical cord that killed teen

    World News Toronto Sun
    UTICA, N.Y. — The pastor of a small church where two brothers were beaten for hours during a counselling session that she called pleaded guilty on Friday to manslaughter and assault. Three other church members admitted to less serious charges for their roles in the all-night beatings that killed Lucas Leonard, 19, and injured Christopher Leonard, 17, last October. Source
  • Photo of blood-covered Syrian boy fake: Assad

    World News Toronto Sun
    Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told Swiss media the photo of a young boy covered in blood sitting by himself in an ambulance that went viral this summer was a fake. The leader was asked about the photo during an interview in which he said fighting “terrorists” in Aleppo was the only way of “protecting civilians. Source
  • Police mistake doughnut glaze for meth, Florida man sues over arrest

    World News CTV News
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Florida man arrested last year after police mistook doughnut glaze in his car for meth is suing the city of Orlando and a drug-testing kit company. The Orlando Sentinel reports Daniel Rushing filed a lawsuit last week, claiming negligence by the city and the kit's manufacturer. Source