Train wreckage being removed in Germany; answers sought

BAD AIBLING, Germany -- Emergency workers in southern Germany brought in a huge crane Wednesday to start removing the wreckage from a deadly head-on train crash after police said they were no longer looking for another victim.

See Full Article

Police spokesman Stefan Sonntag said authorities came to the conclusion that no one was unaccounted-for in the crash that killed 10 people and injured dozens after they contacted all hospitals in the rural region in Bavaria.

Authorities are trying to determine why multiple safety measures failed Tuesday morning, allowing two trains to travel on the same single-line track and smash into each other. They are considering possible technical errors, human failure or a combination of the two scenarios. Both Germany's train accident investigation office and local prosecutors are investigating.

The governor of Bavaria, Horst Seehofer, visited the crash scene in Bad Aibling, 40 miles (60 kilometres) southeast of Munich. He held a short memorial ceremony with rescue workers, who laid wreaths of white-and-red flowers next to the wrecked trains.

"This is a horrible tragedy for all of Bavaria," Seehofer told reporters Wednesday. "We are praying and hope that the injured will recover."

The governor also visited survivors in a nearby hospital to hear their stories about the fatal accident and thanked the hundreds of emergency workers for their efforts.

Seehofer said he will wait for the results of the investigations to see "which consequences have to be taken to make this kind of tragedy even more unlikely to happen."

At the crash site, about 100 emergency workers were helping with the removal of the wreckage -- a job that the German news agency dpa said would take at least two days.

Police said nine of the 10 dead had been identified and both train drivers were among them. Their names were not released but all were men between 24 and 60 years old. About 17 of the dozens injured were still in serious condition but all are expected to survive, dpa said.

Police spokesman Juergen Thalmeier warned reporters not to jump to conclusions. While the train dispatcher had been interrogated, he said that did not mean he was necessarily under suspicion.

"All possibilities that might have led to this tragedy are being investigated," said Vera Moosmayer, a spokeswoman for the Transport Ministry. "They are looking at the black boxes. They are examining what happened on the tracks. They are speaking to the witnesses and the train dispatchers. They are trying to paint a picture of what might have led to the tragedy."

Transport Minister Alexander Dobrindt told the German news channel n-tv that one black box has already been examined and based on this analysis there seems to have been no technical problem, but that investigators have not yet finished their overall evaluation.

Officials said it was not clear how long the train line between Holzkirchen and Rosenheim would be out of commission. Bus services were offered instead.

The two trains were supposed to pass one another at a station where the track was divided. Also, a safety system installed on much of Germany's huge rail network was supposed to automatically brake trains that end up on the same track heading toward each other. Instead, the two trains slammed into one another on a curve.

German rail operator Deutsche Bahn said safety systems on the stretch where the crash occurred had been checked as recently as last week.

A joint memorial service by the Catholic and Lutheran churches is being planned but no specific date has been set yet.

Grieshaber reported from Berlin. Frank Jordans in Berlin also contributed



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • CTV News on the ground in Washington for Women's March

    World News CTV News
    CTV News reporters and producers are on the ground in Washington for the Women's March. For live updates from the scene, follow CTV News on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. Here's some of their updates so far. Source
  • Brit and Canadian heading to Women's March turned away at U.S. border

    Canada News CTV News
    A U.K. national in Canada on a student visa says he and a friend were turned away at the U.S. border because they intended to go to Saturday's Women's March in Washington. Joe Kroese said he and his Canadian friend were trying to cross the border with two Americans on Thursday. Source
  • 'I am so behind you,' Trump assures CIA officials on 1st full day in office

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump moved to mend his tumultuous relationship with America's spy agencies Saturday, travelling to CIA headquarters on his first full day in office and assuring officials, "I am so behind you." But the president quickly shifted from praise for the CIA to criticism of media coverage of inauguration day, in an unscripted address that overstated the size of the crowd that gathered on the National Mall as he took the oath of office. Source
  • Mexican president congratulates Trump in phone conversation

    World News CTV News
    Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump walks with Mexico President Enrique Pena Nieto at the end of their joint statement at Los Pinos, the presidential official residence, in Mexico City on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016. (AP / Dario Lopez-Mills) Source
  • Ex-Dragons’ Den star Arlene Dickinson addresses political aspirations

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - “They’re wrong, I’m not running.” Entrepreneur and former Dragons’ Den star Arlene Dickinson has denied a report that a run at federal Liberal politics might be in her future. “Nothing could be further from the truth. Source
  • Bus carrying students on ski holiday crashes and burns, killing 16 [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ROME — A bus carrying Hungarian school students home from a skiing trip to France slammed into a highway barrier in northern Italy and caught fire, killing at least 16 people, police said Saturday. Thirty-nine people survived, though some were seriously injured. Source
  • ’Sisters of the north’ join Women’s March on Washington [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Hundreds of Canadian women, many of them wearing pink knit hats or carrying signs emblazoned with the maple leaf and the slogan “sisters of the north”, filled the sidewalks of Washington, D.C. Saturday morning as they made their way to a massive rally for women’s rights. Source
  • Protests around world draw hundreds of thousands of women [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Wearing pink, pointy-eared “pussyhats” to mock the new president, hundreds of thousands of women took to the streets in the nation’s capital and cities around the world Saturday to send Donald Trump an emphatic message that they won’t let his agenda go unchallenged over the next four years. Source
  • 3 men presumed dead after snowmobile breaks through ice on Nunavut cargo run

    Canada News CBC News
    One man is confirmed dead and two others are missing but presumed dead after their large Bombardier snowmobile broke through the ice near Whale Cove, Nunavut on Saturday morning. Another man also fell through the ice but survived. Source
  • Signs from Women's Marches around the world captured on social media

    World News CTV News
    On Donald Trump’s first day as president, people from around the world marched in solidarity for women’s rights. Many took to twitter to support the cause or explain why they were marching. Additionally, a large number of them shared some of the best signs they saw or brought to the protests. Source