N. Korea expands uranium facility, restarts plutonium reactor: U.S. intelligence chief

WASHINGTON -- North Korea has expanded a uranium enrichment facility and restarted a plutonium reactor that could start recovering spent fuel in weeks or months, the U.S.

See Full Article

intelligence chief said Tuesday in delivering the annual assessment by intelligence agencies of the top dangers facing the country.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said that Pyongyang announced in 2013 its intention to refurbish and restart nuclear facilities, to include the uranium enrichment facility at Yongbyon and its graphite-moderated plutonium production reactor, which was shut down in 2007.

"We assess that North Korea has followed through on its announcement by expanding its Yongbyon enrichment facility and restarting the plutonium production reactor," Clapper said in an opening statement to the Senate Armed Services Committee. "We further assess that North Korea has been operating the reactor long enough so that it could begin to recover plutonium from the reactor's spent fuel within a matter of weeks to months."

Clapper also said that Islamic militants will continue plotting against U.S. interests overseas and homegrown attacks will pose the most significant threat from violent extremists to Americans at home.

"The perceived success of attacks by homegrown violent extremists in Europe and North America, such as those in Chattanooga and San Bernardino, might motivate others to replicate opportunistic attacks with little or no warning, diminishing our ability to detect terrorist operational planning and readiness," he said.

"ISIL involvement in homeland attack activity will probably continue to involve those who draw inspiration from the group's highly sophisticated media without direct guidance from ISIL leadership," he said using an acronym for the militant group.

Clapper also said Iran remains the top state sponsor of terrorism, al-Qaida-linked groups remain resilient and the U.S. will continue to see cyber threats from China, Russia and North Korea.

Clapper said U.S. information systems, controlled by the U.S. government and American industry, are vulnerable to cyberattacks from Russia and China. North Korea "probably remains capable and willing to launch disruptive or destructive cyberattacks to support its political objectives," he said.

Moscow "is assuming a more assertive cyber posture" that is based on its willingness to target critical infrastructure and carry out espionage operations even when those operations have been detected and under increased public scrutiny, Clapper said. Russia's cyber operations are likely to target U.S. interests in part to underpin its intelligence gathering to support Russia's moves in the Ukraine and Syrian crises, he said.

Clapper said China selectively uses cyberattacks against targets Beijing believes threaten Chinese domestic stability or regime legitimacy.

"We will monitor compliance with China's September 2015 commitment to refrain from conducting or knowingly supporting cyber-enabled theft of intellectual property with the intent of providing competitive advantage to companies or commercial sectors," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump's new messenger says briefings back on camera

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump's new communications chief says television cameras will start rolling again in the White House briefing room. Anthony Scaramucci -- the Wall Street financier who joined the administration last week -- tweeted on Monday that "the TV Cameras are back on. Source
  • Duterte vows end to uprising, 'jail or hell' in Philippines drug war

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte vowed Monday to continue his bloody war on illegal drugs despite international and domestic criticism and warned that offenders will end up in "jail or hell." In his second state of the nation speech, Duterte also insisted he would not hold peace talks with communist rebels because of continuing attacks. Source
  • Missing teens likely seeking better life: school director

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Six Burundian teenagers who disappeared after an international robotics competition in Washington probably left because life is hard in the East African nation, not because they feared insecurity at home, the director of a school that sent two of the teens said Monday. Source
  • Two 'lucky' boaters charged after rescue from Alta. lake during major storm

    Canada News CTV News
    NORDEGG, Alta. - RCMP have charged two boaters in central Alberta after the pair were rescued from the shore of a remote lake after an intense storm. Mounties say the man and woman went floating in a small rubber boat on Abraham Lake Sunday wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals. Source
  • Senator Murray Sinclair, chair of TRC, named as Thunder Bay police board investigator

    Canada News CBC News
    The Ontario Civilian Police Commission (OCPC) announced Monday that it has appointed retired judge and current Senator, the Honourable Murray Sinclair as the independent investigator addressing the commission's concerns over the state of civilian police oversight and public confidence in the delivery of police services in Thunder Bay. Source
  • U.S. maker of panels in London fire says others install them

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- The U.S. company that manufactured panels on a London apartment tower where at least 80 people perished in an inferno has quit selling them for high-rises because it has no control over their installation, a top company executive said Monday. Source
  • Kushner tells Congress there was no collusion with Russia

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner denied Monday that he colluded with Russians in the course of President Donald Trump’s White House bid and declared he has “nothing to hide.” Behind closed doors, Kushner spoke to staff members of the House intelligence committee for nearly three hours at the Capitol, then made a brief public statement back at the White House. Source
  • Publisher withdraws book by Nelson Mandela's doctor amid complaints

    World News CTV News
    JOHANNESBURG -- South African media say a publisher withdrew a book that documents Nelson Mandela's medical treatments following complaints that the book violates doctor-patient confidentiality. Nkosi Mandela, a grandson of the late anti-apartheid leader, president and Nobel laureate, said Monday that the removal from stores of "Mandela's Last Years" showed respect for the family's wishes "to guard the sanctity of his last moments. Source
  • Tourist falls 100 feet to his death taking photos at Glacier National Park

    World News Toronto Sun
    WEST GLACIER, Mont. — Glacier National Park officials say a tourist who was taking photographs of the scenery fell into a creek, was swept into a culvert and plunged 100 feet to his death. Park officials said in a statement Monday that 26-year-old Robert Durbin of Corvallis, Montana, died Saturday. Source
  • Warning: Fake signs about 'easily startled' cops pop up in Minneapolis

    World News Toronto Sun
    MINNEAPOLIS — The fatal shooting of an Australian woman by a Minneapolis police officer has sparked the posting of at least two fake street signs warning people of “easily startled” officers. The Star Tribune reports one sign was spotted in Minneapolis and another in St. Source