Prosecutors seek detention of developers of toppled building in Taiwan

TAINAN, Taiwan - Prosecutors have requested the detention of the developers of a high-rise apartment building in southern Taiwan that collapsed over the weekend following a strong earthquake, killing dozens of people, official media said Tuesday.

See Full Article

The Tainan District Prosecutors Office said Lin Ming-hui and two others, identified only by their surnames, Chang and Cheng, were suspected of negligence resulting in death, Taiwan's official Central News Agency reported.

The office requested their detention to prevent collusion or other acts that could disrupt the investigation, CNA said. A hearing on the matter was scheduled for later Tuesday.

The death toll in the quake stood at 41 on Tuesday afternoon, with all but two of the deaths coming in the building collapse. More than 100 people are believed to still be trapped in the debris.

Shoddy construction is suspected as having contributed to the disaster, with the 17-story Weiguan Golden Dragon, built in 1989, the only major building to collapse in the quake.

Although the shallow quake was potentially devastating, few buildings were damaged as a result of strict construction standards in force in Taiwan, an island that is frequently struck by quakes.

Most of the 320 people who were rescued from the disaster were saved in the hours immediately after the quake, in which the building collapsed onto itself before toppling over onto its side.

Among the survivors, Ko Ching-chung said he had propped himself against a wall to avoid falling onto his girlfriend after the quake hit just before 4 a.m. Saturday. But after 20 hours, he could no longer hold on and collapsed onto her.

"She would have soon not been able to breathe," Ko, who was rescued along with his girlfriend on Sunday morning, told reporters Monday at the hospital where he was recovering. "I said to her I had to lay on top of her and she said to me it's OK."

Five survivors were believed to have been pulled out on Sunday, and at least four on Monday. One of them, Tsao Wei-ling, called out "Here I am" as rescuers dug through to find her.

She was found under the body of her husband, who had shielded her from a collapsed beam, CNA reported. Tsao's husband and 2-year-old son were found dead, and five other members of the family remained unaccounted for, the news agency said.

Teams on Monday also rescued a 42-year-old man and an 8-year-old girl.

The girl, Lin Su-chin, was recovering in a hospital, where she told her father and grandparents that she was looking forward to gorging on sweets as soon as she was well enough.

Shortly after she was rescued, workers also pulled out her aunt, a 28-year-old Vietnamese woman identified as Chen Mei-jih, who had been trapped on what was the building's fifth floor.

Earthquakes rattle Taiwan frequently. Most are minor and cause little or no damage, though a magnitude-7.6 quake in central Taiwan in 1999 killed more than 2,300 people.

The quake struck during the most important family holiday in the Chinese calendar - the Lunar New Year.

The extended Lunar New Year holiday - the most important family holiday in the Chinese calendar - officially started Monday, but celebrations in Taiwan have been subdued.


Associated Press videojournalist Tassanee Vejpongsa in Taipei, Taiwan, and writers Louise Watt and Christopher Bodeen and news assistant Henry Hou in Beijing contributed to this report.


Latest Canada & World News

  • China's Xi seeks to enforce will at Communist Party meeting

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Having punished more than a million Communist Party members for corruption, Chinese President Xi Jinping will use a key meeting that started Monday to drive home the message that his signature anti-graft campaign is far from done and his authority remains undiminished. Source
  • 5 dead in wrong-way crash on Massachusetts highway

    World News CTV News
    MIDDLEBOROUGH, Mass. - State police say five people have died in a wrong-way crash on a Massachusetts highway. Officials say the preliminary investigation indicates that a vehicle travelling south on the northbound side of Interstate 495 in Middleborough struck a vehicle heading in the correct direction early Monday morning. Source
  • 'Enough is enough': Tori Stafford's dad demands justice

    Canada News CTV News
    The father of murdered eight-year-old Victoria Stafford says he will be in court Monday, when a lawyer for the man convicted of killing his daughter, Michael Rafferty, asks the Ontario Court of Appeal for another trial. Source
  • France starts clearing 'jungle' refugee camp

    World News CBC News
    They began lining up outside the bunkers earmarked for registration in the dark hours before dawn. Hundreds of young men from Sudan, Eritrea, Somalia shivering in the cold, bundled up against it; they dragged big-checkered plastic bags behind them. Source
  • France destroying Calais migrant camp known as ‘the jungle’, thousands evacuated

    World News Toronto Sun
    CALAIS, France — Lines of migrants with their lives in small bags waited calmly to get on buses in the French port city of Calais on Monday, the first day of the mass evacuation and destruction of the squalid camp they called home. Source
  • Edmonton mother wants more supervision on school buses after her son was dropped off 24 blocks from daycare

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    An Edmonton mother wants an apology and more supervision on school buses after a driver let her kindergartner off nearly four kilometres from his daycare. Simone Cardinal and her older son Skyler were attending a funeral in Maskwacis last Monday when her younger son's daycare centre called to say the five-year-old never arrived after school. Source
  • Bad medicine

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Federal Health Minister Jane Philpott should be specific about changes she'd like to see in Canada's beleaguered medicare system instead of misleading the public about how the provinces may be squandering federal health care dollars. The federal Liberal line on health care these days is that Ottawa is not sure all the new money it's giving the provinces for health care is actually being spent on medical services. Source
  • University groups try to stave off offensive costumes in lead-up to Halloween

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Geishas are out. Feathered headdresses are forbidden. And if you’re planning to wear a Bill Cosby or Caitlyn Jenner costume, you may not be welcome at your Halloween party of choice. A growing number of institutions are starting to take a more proactive approach to potentially offensive outfits by developing strategies and even explicit policies to prevent people from donning controversial getups. Source
  • Developers gone wild? Toronto landmarks targeted with prank proposals

    Canada News CTV News
    Sure, Toronto's CN Tower is iconic. But wouldn't it look better with a 40-storey residential tower sticking out of the observation deck? And surely it's time for the city's century-old Casa Loma to remodel, so why not add a 30-storey tower onto one side? Source
  • Belfast bakery loses appeal over refusal of gay-rights cake

    World News CTV News
    BELFAST, Ireland -- A Belfast bakery has lost its appeal against a 2015 court ruling that the business discriminated against a homosexual customer by refusing to bake a cake bearing the message "support gay marriage. Source