More than 1 million are trapped in besieged areas in Syria: UN report

NEW YORK - More than one million Syrians are trapped in besieged areas, a new report says in a challenge to the United Nations, which estimates just half that amount and has been accused by some aid groups of underplaying a crisis.

See Full Article

The fate of Syria's besieged is at the heart of peace talks that quickly fell apart last week in Geneva and are set to resume by Feb. 25. Negotiators for the opposition had insisted that the Syrian government stop besieging civilians before talks could truly begin.

The new Siege Watch report, issued Tuesday by the Netherlands-based aid group PAX and the Washington-based Syria Institute, comes a month after images posted online of emaciated children and adults led to an international outcry and rare convoys of aid to a handful of Syrian communities.

The town featured in the images, Madaya, was not listed by the UN as a besieged community at the time. Aid workers who entered last month reported seeing skeletal people and parents who gave their children sleeping pills to calm their hunger.

The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN It says most are besieged by the Syrian government in the suburbs of Damascus, the capital, and Homs. In the eastern city of Deir el-Zour, about 200,000 people are besieged by both the Islamic State group and the Syrian government. The report lists two communities besieged by armed opposition groups.

"Electricity and running water are usually cut off, and there is limited (if any) access to food, fuel, and medical care," the report says. Deaths have been reported from malnutrition, disease, hypothermia and poisoning while scavenging for food. Some communities have been besieged for months or years.

The estimates are based largely on information provided by local contacts in the communities, including local councils, medical workers and citizen journalists.

With the spotlight on the besieged, the United Nations last month raised its estimate by almost 100,000, saying that 486,700 people are affected.

That's still less than some aid groups and others estimate. They argue that the world body's numbers set the tone for humanitarian response efforts and that more urgency is needed.

"Many remain unaware of the extent of the crisis, and the international response has been muted as a result," the Siege Watch report says.

In meetings this week with UN officials and member states, PAX says it will call for the immediate lifting of sieges as a way to build confidence in the peace talks. Syria Institute executive director Valerie Szybala said the new report has not been shared with Syria's government.

The UN says it considers an area besieged if three criteria are met: The area is surrounded by "armed actors," humanitarian aid cannot regularly enter, and civilians, including the sick and wounded, cannot enter and exit.

"Of course, differences of opinion do occur," Amanda Pitt, a UN humanitarian spokeswoman, said of criticism of the UN's estimates.

The aid group Doctors Without Borders goes well beyond the figure in the Siege Watch report, estimating that 1.9 million Syrians live in besieged areas.

Doctors Without Borders said it defines Syria's besieged areas as ones "that are surrounded by strategic barriers (military or non-military) that prevent the regular and safe inflow of humanitarian assistance and the regular and safe outflow of civilians, the wounded and the sick."

The United Nations places an estimated 4.5 million Syrians into a separate category called "hard to reach," a step below besieged. It defines that as "an area that is not regularly accessible to humanitarian actors for the purpose of sustained humanitarian programming as a result of denial of access."

Doctors Without Borders said it doesn't use that distinction, "as the medical consequences for both types of region are similar." Medical supplies are almost never allowed in, it said, and medical evacuations are rarely allowed out.

The aid group has said that since convoys reached Madaya last month, at least 16 people there have died and at least 33 were in danger of dying of malnutrition.

The United Nations now considers the town of 20,000 besieged.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Terror in Spain: Multiple fatalities after van plows pedestrians in Barcelona [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BARCELONA, Spain — A white van jumped the sidewalk Thursday in Barcelona’s historic Las Ramblas district, crashing into a summer crowd of residents and tourists and injuring several people, police said. In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street of the northern Spanish city Thursday afternoon, apparently being helped by police and others. Source
  • Video shows men standing between subway cars in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in Montreal say they are aware of a video that shows two men standing between subway cars as the train pulls out of a Metro station. The two individuals can be seen standing on the metal coupler that links two Metro cars, in a video that has racked up more than 70,000 views online. Source
  • Pikangikum First Nation to be connected to Ontario power grid by next fall

    Canada News CTV News
    THUNDER BAY, Ont. -- The federal government has announced funding to connect the Pikangikum First Nation in northwestern Ontario to the province's power grid. The remote community near the Ontario-Manitoba border currently relies on diesel generators for electricity. Source
  • After 3 years in ISIS captivity, Yazidi boy reunites with mom in Winnipeg

    Canada News CTV News
    Nofa Zaghla weeps with emotion as she hugs her 12-year-old son in a cramped room at the Winnipeg airport in the early hours of Thursday morning. Surrounded by tearful family and friends, a smiling Emad Mishko Tamo is being held by his mother for the first time in three years. Source
  • Ontario reviewing outdoor education policies after student dies on field trip

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is launching a review of outdoor education policies for every school board in the province after the death of a Toronto teen on a school-run canoe trip this summer. Education Minister Mitzie Hunter also says the ministry will immediately increase funding to life-saving swimming programs and increase awareness about the programs for incoming Canadian residents. Source
  • Canadian schools reluctant to embrace later bell times despite mounting research

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A wave of international research suggesting delaying high school start times would have health and academic benefits for students has not yet crested in Canada. Several individual boards and schools have embraced the growing number of global studies suggesting that early start times are at odds with adolescents' natural sleep patterns and can hamper both their academic progress and mental health. Source
  • Number of asylum seekers crossing Quebec border nearly quadrupled in July [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    LACOLLE, Que. — Authorities say the number of asylum seekers intercepted at the Quebec-New York border in July nearly quadrupled and shows no sign of slowing down. Immigration and Citizenship Canada said today the number jumped to 2,996 from 781 in June. Source
  • Constipated gorilla in Kansas zoo recovering after surgery

    World News Toronto Sun
    TOPEKA, Kan. — A constipated 49-year-old lowland gorilla at the Topeka Zoo in Kansas is recovering after having surgery. The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that zoo Director Brendan Wiley says the procedure that Tiffany underwent Wednesday went “really well. Source
  • Multiple deaths after van driven into Barcelona crowd in apparent terror attack

    World News CBC News
    Spanish police have confirmed there are fatalities after a van slammed into pedestrians in Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas district. The newspaper El Pais quoted unnamed police sources as saying it was being treated as a terror attack and that the perpetrators of the crash were holed up in a bar in Tallers Street. Source
  • Calls for Conservative leader Andrew Scheer to condemn The Rebel Media [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer isn’t saying whether he’ll condemn online news outlet the Rebel for its coverage of last weekend’s deadly Charlottesville protests. In a video posted to Facebook by advocacy group Leadnow, Scheer would only say he saw some of the Rebel’s coverage, and that anything that gives a platform to what he calls “obnoxious groups” is worth condemnation. Source