N. Korea celebrates rocket launch as 'gift of loyalty' to Kim Jong Un

PYONGYANG, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of -- Hours after the rest of the world already knew, North Korea's state media triumphantly announced in a special news bulletin to the nation Sunday it had successfully launched a satellite into orbit, calling it a major milestone in the nation's history and the "greatest gift of loyalty" to the country's young leader, Kim Jong Un.

See Full Article

In a possible hint of what might lie ahead, however, North Korea's state media implored the nation on the eve of the launch to be prepared for whatever "violent storm" may be coming.

They may need to: the U.S., South Korea and Japan have strongly condemned the launch, and potential new sanctions over both the launch and the North's purported hydrogen bomb test just one month ago are now being discussed in the U.N. Security Council.

North Korea's most famous and venerated TV newscaster, dressed in a traditional pink gown, proudly announced on the TV bulletin -- reserved for extremely important events -- that the Earth observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4 had been successfully put into orbit early Sunday morning. She called it an "epochal" moment.

The satellite's name means Shining Star.

The news Sunday was the first acknowledgment of the rocket preparations made to the North Korean public, even though the launch plan had been released in advance to international organizations to avoid accidents with commercial shipping or aircraft and had been closely watched by experts around the world for more than a week.

As the news aired, crowds in Pyongyang cheered and applauded as they watched the news of the launch, which was displayed on large screens at different places around the capital.

"As far as I know, there are few countries in the world that launched their own satellites," said one, Pyongyang resident Ri Hyon Gil. He added that he was proud of both the launch and the news of the H-bomb test because they demonstrate the North's scientific and technological progress.

North Korea claims to have successfully put four satellites into orbit. Foreign observers have confirmed only two -- this one and a similar probe launched in 2012. They also question whether the 2012 probe ever transmitted any signals back to Earth, though the North claims it broadcast patriotic odes to the nation's leaders.

It may take several days to confirm whether Sunday's satellite is alive and transmitting signals to the ground.

North Korea's official news agency, KCNA, called the launch a "complete success" and said it marked a major advance in "developing the country's science, technology, economy and defence capability by legitimately exercising the right to use space for independent and peaceful purposes."

The inclusion of "defence" in that statement could be problematic in the weeks ahead.

North Korea has resolutely denied claims by Washington, Seoul, Tokyo and the United Nations that its space launches are intended to test ballistic missile technology and thus banned under international resolutions. Instead, it has said its space launches are strictly for peaceful purposes.

It had also been careful not to trumpet this launch until after the satellite was confirmed in orbit.

But in another report just before the launch, which like the "violent storms" report made no direct mention of the rocket or the international condemnation it has received, noted that Monday is the anniversary of the founding of the Korean People's Army in 1948.

That, along with the birthday of former leader Kim Jong Il on Feb. 16, a major holiday called the Day of the Shining Star in North Korea, are likely why the North planned the launch at this time.

As KCNA put it:

"The fascinating vapour ... trailing in the clear and blue sky in spring of February on the threshold of the Day of the Shining Star, the greatest national holiday of Kim Il Sung's Korea, is a gift of most intense loyalty presented by our space scientists and technicians to the great Comrade Kim Jong Un, our dignified party, state and people."

Jon contributed the local quote and reaction in Pyongyang. Talmadge, AP's Pyongyang bureau chief, reported from Tokyo.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Judge allows 2nd girl's statements in 'Slender Man' case

    World News CTV News
    Anissa Weier, 15, appears in court in Waukesha, Wis. on Monday, Feb. 20, 2017. (Michael Sears / Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel) Source
  • Bell Canada forced seriously ill woman to go to store: Tribunal

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal says Bell Canada discriminated against a seriously ill woman by forcing her to violate her doctor’s orders and go to a store in person in order to acquire a cellphone. Source
  • Flash flood warnings issued in northern California

    World News CBC News
    Forecasters issued flash flood warnings Monday throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and elsewhere in northern California as downpours swelled creeks and rivers in the already soggy region. The National Weather Service said heavy rain could persist into the evening and was expected to cause flooding on the Carmel River in Monterey County and Coyote Creek in Santa Clara County. Source
  • Justin Trudeau conveys 'sincere regrets' for language gaffe

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    In Valentine's Day messages to Quebec anglophones, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau expressed "sincere regrets" for refusing to answer questions in English last month. The incident caused an uproar, with several complaints filed against Trudeau with the Commissioner of Official Languages. Source
  • 5 killed after plane crashes into mall in Australia

    World News CBC News
    Five people were believed killed when a light plane crashed in flames into a shopping mall on Tuesday in the Australian city of Melbourne, officials said. Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane said it appeared there were no survivors on the plane, but no one on the ground was injured. Source
  • Video shows family illegally crossing into Quebec from U.S.

    Canada News CTV News
    CTV News cameras in Quebec captured images of a family, including a baby in a car seat, illegally crossing the U.S.-Canada border on Monday. As is standard practice, the migrants were taken into custody by police and quickly handed over to the Canadian Border Services Agency, which typically releases them within hours. Source
  • B.C. privacy watchdog investigating vigilante group, Surrey Creep Catchers

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- British Columbia's privacy watchdog has launched a probe into a controversial vigilante group. The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner confirms it is investigating after receiving a complaint about Surrey Creep Catchers. Source
  • Scouring the Internet to stop suicides

    World News Toronto Sun
    She went by the name Itz Dolly and she was just 12 years old. During her many broadcasts, she confided to her audience that a family member had tried to rape her and then repeatedly told her she was worthless and should kill herself. Source
  • Parliament Hill 24-hour challenge video shooter a mere tourist, says RCMP

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The Ottawa-based YouTube user who purports to film himself doing so-called 24-hour challenges didn’t really camp out inside the Parliament Buildings overnight – he took a tour and left, the RCMP said Monday. JayStation posted a video earlier this month that has since racked up nearly 169,000 views. Source
  • 'She’s my miracle': Woman unexpectedly delivers baby in home bathroom

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario woman unexpectedly gave birth in her toilet. "I just felt like I had to go to the washroom and my body just started pushing and contracting on its own and out she came," Crystal Beaumont–Delong told CTV Kitchener. Source