Police believe 6 killed in Chicago home were targeted

Chicago police said they believe six family members found dead in their southwest side home were killed in a "targeted incident," though they're still trying to determine a possible motive.

See Full Article

It's possible someone in the family "was involved in something that could have targeted them," or that the killings occurred during a robbery or a domestic incident, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said late Friday.

Police found the six people -- two children, two women and two men -- dead on Thursday after one of the men's co-workers called the emergency dispatcher to report he hadn't shown up to work for two days.

Authorities initially said it was possible one person killed the other five before taking his or her own life. But the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office on Friday ruled their deaths homicides, saying five were stabbed to death and the sixth died of multiple gunshot wounds.

Police have added extra patrols as a precaution, though Guglielmi on Friday repeated earlier police statements that they don't believe the general public is in danger. There was no forced entry into the home and the house wasn't ransacked.

"This appears certainly centred and targeted on that family, and what we're trying to do is figure out why," he said.

Officers are exploring the backgrounds of the six victims, including talking to other family members and friends, Guglielmi said.

Authorities haven't released the identities of the victims, though the medical examiner's office described them as a middle-aged man and woman, an older man and woman, and two boys.

They said the middle-aged woman was shot to death, while the older woman and a middle-aged man suffered blunt trauma in addition to stab wounds.

The boys were 10 and 12.

A relative said six people lived in the home -- a couple, their son, their daughter and the daughter's two children.

"They were a normal family. Everything was fine," the relative, Noemi Martinez, 29, said from Dallas during a phone interview in Spanish. She said her husband was a nephew and cousin of the home's residents.

Martinez said the father worked at a factory in Chicago and the mother was a housewife. They were originally from the Mexican state of Guanajuato and had lived in Chicago for about a decade, Martinez said.

"Right now, we just want to know who did this. They didn't deserve this. We don't understand what happened," she said.

Associated Press writer Ivan Moreno in Springfield, Illinois, contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Suspect in Quebec Amber Alert case makes brief initial court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    SAINT-JEROME, Que. -- The 41-year-old father at the heart of an Amber Alert in Quebec earlier this month made his first court appearance today. He kept his stare fixed to the ground as he briefly appeared before a judge in Saint-Jerome, Que. Source
  • 'The scale is just vast': Authorities, aid workers in Bangladesh overwhelmed by Rohingya refugees

    World News CBC News
    Khanon Zahed survived a killing campaign at home and an epic cross-border escape, only to end up lying on a dirty sheet on the floor of a hallway at a Bangladesh hospital. Five-year-old Zahed is just one of the more than 430,000 Rohingya from Myanmar now sheltering in Bangladesh — an exodus of vast proportions that in the span of only one month has overwhelmed the authorities here and bewildered even the most seasoned aid workers. Source
  • Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months for sexting teen

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Former Rep. Anthony Weiner was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison for sexting with a 15-year-old girl in a case that rocked Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the White House in the closing days of the race and may have cost her the presidency. Source
  • Warnings issued as record temperatures continue in Ontario, Quebec

    Canada News CTV News
    The first weekend of fall proved to be one of the hottest of the year in southern Ontario and Quebec as heat warnings spanned the area and continue into the week. Temperatures across the southern parts of both provinces exceeded 30 C with the humidex levels approaching the 40s over the weekend, breaking numerous heat records in the process. Source
  • Pennsylvania funeral director arrested over corpse pictures

    World News Toronto Sun
    EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. — A Pennsylvania funeral director has been charged with abusing corpses for allegedly taking cellphone pictures of the dead to “gross out” her friends and family. Twenty-seven-year-old Angeliegha Stewart also faces a marijuana charge, after Monroe County detectives found conversations about deals when they searched her phone last month amid their investigation into the photos. Source
  • Murder charges laid after body found outside N.S. home

    Canada News CTV News
    A 30-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the discovery of a man’s body in New Minas, N.S. Police were called to the rural Nova Scotia address on Lockhart Drive at 9:25 a.m. Source
  • Calif. hot dog vendor whose earnings were seized gets $87Gs from supporters

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERKELEY, Calif. — A California street vendor who was had his money confiscated for selling bacon hot dogs on a Berkeley sidewalk without a permit has received more than $87,000 raised by supporters. The East Bay Times reports Rigoberto Matias on Saturday received a check for $87,921 from Martin Flores, who recorded a video of the Sept. Source
  • Rare comic books stolen in two separate heists, police investigate

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in southern Ontario are investigating two separate thefts of rare comic books valued at more than $300,000. Durham regional police say the owner of a comic book business had both his home and workplace broken into at separate times this month. Source
  • Megyn Kelly says she’s ’done with politics’ in NBC show debut

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Megyn Kelly made her debut as an NBC morning TV host on Monday with the declaration that she’s “kind of done with politics for now.” The former Fox News Channel anchor was in the thick of it during the 2016 presidential campaign, most notably when then-candidate Donald Trump turned on her following her sharp questioning of him in a debate. Source
  • Manitoba mother arrested after child abandoned in stroller

    Canada News CTV News
    BRANDON, Man. -- Police in western Manitoba have charged a mother for abandoning her toddler in a stroller. Brandon police say an 18-month-old girl was left alone in the city's downtown in August. Police say they received a call from a concerned woman who found the child and stayed with her, waiting for her parents to show up. Source