Man accused of IS-inspired plot to attack Detroit church

DETROIT -- Authorities have arrested a 21-year-old Michigan man whom they accuse of supporting Islamic State militants and plotting to attack a Detroit church.

See Full Article

Khalil Abu-Rayyan, of Dearborn Heights, appeared Thursday in U.S. District Court in Detroit and remains jailed pending a Monday hearing. He hasn't been charged with terrorism-related crimes but has been investigated since May and faces marijuana and gun charges.

U.S. attorney's office spokeswoman Gina Balaya said Saturday that Abu-Rayyan will have a court-appointed attorney at the hearing. She said Abu-Rayyan had been under constant FBI surveillance recently due to growing concern about threats he made against the church, police officers and others in support of IS.

There's no indication he was acting with others, authorities said.

In a criminal complaint, the FBI says Abu-Rayyan expressed support for IS "propaganda" postings on social media, including videos of its members beheading captives. It also says he made several incriminating statements to an undercover agent, including that he supported IS, had a "desire to commit a martyrdom operation," and that he wanted to behead someone.

According to the complaint, Abu-Rayyan told the undercover officer he planned to "shoot up" a Detroit church but that his father found the gun, bullets and mask he was going to use. He also said he bought a "cowboy gun," but he decided not to go through with the attack because it only held six bullets and he'd have to keep reloading it, it says.

Abu-Rayyan pleaded guilty last month to a pot possession charge, and he faces a Feb. 16 trial on a concealed weapon charge. Both stem from an October arrest.

The Detroit suburbs of Dearborn Heights and Dearborn have large, longstanding Arab and Muslim populations. U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade told The Associated Press that incidents like these are "an aberration" in the communities.

"We've not had any ISIS cases arising out of (the area)," she said. "A lot of people vocally and visibly oppose ISIS. ... No one should make any conclusions about Dearborn or Dearborn Heights from this."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Police say 39 people detained over neo-Nazi march in Berlin

    World News CTV News
    Berlin police say 39 people were detained Saturday in connection with a far-right march commemorating the 30th anniversary of the death of high-ranking Nazi official Rudolf Hess. More than 500 neo-Nazis had attempted to march to the site of the former prison in Berlin's western district of Spandau where Hess died in 1987, but were blocked by left-wing groups and local residents. Source
  • Imam among 12 suspects in Spain vehicle attacks

    World News CBC News
    Dignitaries attended a church service in Barcelona on Sunday for victims of the vehicle attacks in Spain as investigators reported suspicions that 12 members of a terror cell were involved in the plot. King Felipe VI of Spain and his wife, Letizia, arrived for the mass at Basilica of the Sagrada Familia, along with Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and the president of Catalonia, Carles Puigdemont. Source
  • Syria's Assad rejects security co-operation with the West

    World News CTV News
    DAMASCUS, Syria -- Syrian President Bashar Assad has blasted the West, rejecting any security co-operation or reopening of embassies in Damascus before those countries cut relations with opposition groups. Assad's defiant comments on Sunday come at a time when his troops are gaining ground around the country and many countries have ceased calling for him to step down. Source
  • Mattis tight-lipped on new U.S. Afghanistan war strategy

    World News CTV News
    AMMAN, Jordan -- U.S. Defence Secretary Jim Mattis says he is satisfied with how the administration formulated its new Afghanistan war strategy. But he won't discuss what's in it. In remarks to reporters travelling with him to the Middle East, Mattis said he would not talk about the new policy until it is disclosed by President Donald Trump. Source
  • Malaysia apologizes for showing Indonesia's flag as Poland's

    World News CTV News
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Malaysia apologized to Indonesia on Sunday for an "unintentional" mistake in printing the Indonesian flag upside down in a souvenir guidebook for the Southeast Asian Games. The error made the red-and-white Indonesian flag resemble Poland's and caused anger in Indonesia, where "shameonyoumalaysia" has become the most popular hashtag on Twitter. Source
  • Grace Mugabe returns to Zimbabwe despite assault claim

    World News CTV News
    HARARE, Zimbabwe -- The wife of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe returned home from South Africa on Sunday despite calls that she be prosecuted for allegedly assaulting a young model at a luxury hotel in Johannesburg. Source
  • Quebec ticket takes Saturday night's $7 million Lotto 649 jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Saturday night's $7 million Lotto 649 jackpot was won by a ticket sold in Quebec. And the draw's guaranteed $1 million prize went to a ticket holder in Ontario. The winning numbers in Saturday's Lotto 6-49 draw were: 2, 13, 27, 45, 48 & 49. Source
  • Iraqi forces begin operation to retake Tal Afar from ISIS: PM

    World News CTV News
    BAGHDAD -- U.S.-backed Iraqi security forces on Sunday began a multi-pronged military operation to retake the town of Tal Afar, west of Mosul, from the Islamic State group, Iraq's prime minister announced. Tal Afar and the surrounding area is one of the last pockets of IS-held territory in Iraq after victory was declared in July in Mosul, the country's second-largest city. Source
  • Pride Parade to bring rainbows to Montreal's streets today

    Canada News CBC News
    The festivities celebrating Montreal's sexual diversity and plurality are nearly over, but not before the colourful and large-scale Pride Parade takes over downtown streets today. The parade will start at noon at the corner of Drummond Street and make its way east along René-Lévesque Boulevard. Source
  • Grace Mugabe returns to Zimbabwe after South Africa assault allegation

    World News CBC News
    Grace Mugabe returned to Zimbabwe early on Sunday, state media reported, after a 20-year-old model accused the wife of President Robert Mugabe of assaulting her in an upmarket Johannesburg hotel room. South Africa granted Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity, a security source told Reuters on Friday. Source