Cause of deadly NYC crane collapse under investigation

NEW YORK -- Officials are working to determine why a huge construction crane that was being lowered during strong winds came crashing down onto a street, killing a pedestrian and crushing a row of parked cars.

See Full Article

Three other people were hurt by debris, two of them seriously.

But city officials said it could have been much worse.

"The fact is this is a very, very sad incident," Mayor Bill de Blasio said. "We've lost a life, but if you go out there on the street as I did and see what happened here, thank God it was not worse."

The mayor said a construction crew was directing people away from the area as the crane was being lowered Friday.

The mobile crane's boom landed across an intersection, smashed several car roofs and stretched much of a block after the accident at a historic building in lower Manhattan about 10 blocks north of the World Trade Center.

Robert Harold heard a crashing sound as the rig fell right outside his office window at the Legal Aid Society.

"You could feel the vibration in the building," said Harold, who recounted seeing onlookers trying to rescue someone trapped in a parked car and seeing a person lying motionless on the street. After the collapse, the crane's big cab lay upside-down in the snow with its tank-like tracks pointed at the sky.

Wall Street worker David Wichs was killed in the collapse. He was a mathematical whiz who worked at a computerized trading firm, his family said. Born in Prague, he had immigrated to the United States as a teenager and graduated from Harvard University, said his sister-in-law, Lisa Guttman.

"He really created a life for himself. He literally took every opportunity he could find," she said through tears.

A bystander's video taken through a window high above the ground showed the arm descending and then taking the entire crane to the ground.

Officials have not yet determined why the crane fell.

An employee who answered the phone at the offices of crane owner Bay Crane would say only that an investigation was under way and wouldn't give his name.

City building inspectors had been at the site Thursday because the boom was being extended so it could reach farther onto the roof, de Blasio said.

Buildings Commissioner Rick Chandler said inspectors found no problems then with the crane but would investigate further.

Crane safety came under scrutiny in the city after two tower cranes collapsed in Manhattan within two months of each other in 2008, killing a total of nine people. The accidents fueled new safety measures, but a number of crane accidents have occurred in the city since then.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Casualties mount as Iraqi troops advance into Mosul

    World News CTV News
    MOSUL, Iraq -- "We have wounded!" the men shouted from the roadside. Two soldiers, bleeding, were being bandaged beside their smoking vehicle on the side of a dusty dirt road. Iraqi special forces Maj. Source
  • California officials work to stop Oroville Dam's outflow to clear debris

    World News CTV News
    OROVILLE, Calif. -- California water authorities will stop the outflow from the Oroville Dam's crippled spillway to allow workers to remove debris blocking a hydroelectric plant from working, officials said Sunday. The Department of Water Resources said it will start gradually reducing outflows from the Northern California dam beginning Monday morning and completely halt them by the afternoon. Source
  • Charlie Angus enters NDP leadership race [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — And then there were two. Ontario MP Charlie Angus officially entered the NDP leadership race Sunday — a competition that’s expected to start heating up soon with a debate scheduled for next month in Ottawa. Source
  • Aide defends Trump's decision to skip correspondents' dinner: He wasn't elected 'to spend his time with reporters and celebrities' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Donald Trump will be working to improve the country when he skips the media love-in known as the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner. The White House says people should expect the president to spend that Saturday night in April “focused on what he can to do to help better America. Source
  • New Orleans crash suspect’s alcohol level 3 times legal limit: Cops [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW ORLEANS — Authorities on Sunday identified the man who allegedly plowed into a crowd enjoying a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans while intoxicated. The New Orleans Police Department issued a statement identifying the man as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto. Source
  • Winnipeg police find person of interest in alleged mall fluid assault case

    Canada News CTV News
    Winnipeg police say they're waiting for a forensic examination of a substance a man allegedly sprayed on a teenage girl in a shopping mall before deciding whether to lay charges. Investigators released a security image on Saturday from the St. Source
  • Phooey to ‘phobias’

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    If you suffer from a fear of phobias, these are trying times. The victim industry, the hate ’n’ fear brokers, haven’t seen a boom like this since the last world war. Our leaders, our effete elites and their Internet envoys are adding new phobias to their arsenal almost daily. Source
  • Trump's choice to be Navy secretary withdraws

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump's choice to be secretary of the Navy, businessman Philip Bilden, said Sunday he was withdrawing from consideration for the post, citing concerns about privacy and separating himself from his business interests. Source
  • New Orleans crash suspect’s alcohol level 3 times legal limit: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW ORLEANS — Authorities on Sunday identified the man who allegedly plowed into a crowd enjoying a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans while intoxicated. The New Orleans Police Department issued a statement identifying the man as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto. Source
  • Community rallies to throw birthday party for autistic boy

    Canada News CTV News
    Dozens of people rallied together in Kitchener, Ont. on Sunday to make seven-year-old Landen Hart’s birthday extra memorable after news no one showed up to his original party surfaced online. “It's overwhelming,” his mother Ashley Verbakel told CTV Kitchener. Source