Pope's sex abuse advisory committee asks survivor to step back

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis' sex abuse advisory committee voted Saturday to temporarily sideline one of its members, a high-profile abuse survivor who had clashed with the commission over its mission.

See Full Article

Peter Saunders, a British advocate for survivors, had been highly critical of the Vatican's slow pace of progress in taking measures to protect children and punish bishops who covered up for pedophile priests. He has also insisted the pope's commission was not just crafting long-term policies to fight abuse but also should intervene immediately in individual cases.

During a commission meeting Saturday, "it was decided that Mr. Peter Saunders would take a leave of absence from his membership to consider how he might best support the commission's work," the Vatican said in a statement.

The decision is a blow to Francis' efforts to show that he is tough on abuse, since the presence of Saunders and another abuse survivor, Marie Collins, had given the commission credibility.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Saunders said commission members asked him to step aside after concluding they could no longer trust him to work within the scope of the commission's mandate.

"The commission members took a vote and apart from one abstention they agreed that they could no longer continue to work with me," Saunders said. "I do not want to prevent the work of the commission, the good work that the commission is doing from going ahead, so I had no choice but to step aside."

His departure leaves just one other abuse survivor on the commission, which was formed in 2013 to advise the Vatican on protecting children, educating church personnel and parishioners about abuse, and keeping pedophiles out of the priesthood.

The commission was formed after victims' groups questioned whether the Argentine pope, who had never dealt with an abuse case, really understood the scope of the scandal in the church. But the commission took a big step last year when it successfully proposed that the Vatican create an in-house tribunal to hear cases of bishops accused of failing to protect their flocks.

The lack of bishop accountability has prompted years of criticism from abuse victims, advocacy groups and others that the Vatican had failed to punish or forcibly remove bishops who moved predator priests from parish to parish, where they could rape again, rather than report them to police or remove them from ministry.

The Vatican has released no information about the progress in the tribunal's work so far.

The commission in general, and Saunders in particular, had been highly critical of Francis' decision to appoint a Chilean bishop despite allegations from abuse survivors that he had covered up for the country's most notorious pedophile. The bishop denied the charge and Francis stood by the appointment.

The commission has stressed that its mission is not to intervene in individual cases but to craft policy guidelines for the church.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Mulroney breaks ground for Mulroney Institute in N.S.: 'It was a major endeavour'

    Canada News CTV News
    ANTIGONISH, N.S. -- Brian Mulroney returned once more to St. Francis Xavier University, his Nova Scotia alma mater, for the official ground-breaking of a $100 million project for which he raised the money and which in part bears his name. Source
  • Calgary man gets seven-year sentence for strangling wife, burying her body

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Allan Shyback told a harrowing tale in court. He was the longtime domestic abuse victim at the hands of his wife, Lisa Mitchell. And that’s why he strangled her to death in 2012 and then stuffed the dead woman’s body into a Rubbermaid container and cemented it into their basement wall. Source
  • Mueller investigators seek documents from the White House

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Special counsel Robert Mueller's team of investigators is seeking information from the White House related to Michael Flynn's stint as national security adviser and about the response to a meeting with a Russian lawyer that was attended by U.S. Source
  • Oklahoma cops shoot, Taser deaf man holding metal pipe [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Oklahoma City police officers who opened fire on a man who was approaching them holding a metal pipe apparently didn’t hear witnesses yelling that the man was deaf, the department said Wednesday. Police Capt. Bo Mathews said 35-year-old Magdiel Sanchez wasn’t obeying the officers’ commands before one shot him with a gun and the other with a Taser on Tuesday night. Source
  • Gorilla-masked man sought after Stony Plain convenience store heist

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A man was not monkeying around when he entered a Stony Plain convenience store wearing a gorilla mask on Monday, robbing the store before fleeing with an undisclosed sum of cash. According to RCMP, the man wearing gloves and a gorilla mask walked into the 7-11 near Highway 16A Monday morning armed with a wrench and chisel. Source
  • Sexual predator who was 'gifted' young wives jailed

    World News Toronto Sun
    DOYLESTOWN, Pa. — A man convicted of sexually assaulting six girls from the same family, fathering two children with one of them, is scheduled to be sentenced in a Pennsylvania court. Fifty-two-year-old Lee Donald Kaplan will be sentenced in Bucks County court Wednesday on multiple counts of child rape, statutory sexual assault and other charges. Source
  • Calgary man jailed for life after robbery turns deadly

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    It was supposed to be a robbery and assault, but it turned into murder. Those were the facts admitted Wednesday by Said Raed Abdulbaki, after he pleaded guilty to a charge of second-degree murder. Reading from a statement of agreed facts, Crown prosecutor Rajbir Dhillon told Court of Queen's Bench Justice Craig Jones that Abdulbaki was present when David Quach, 27, was slain. Source
  • Beep, beep! Kids drive luxury mini cars to operating room

    World News CBC News
    A San Diego children's hospital unveiled a collection of remote-controlled luxury mini cars that allow its young patients to "drive" themselves to the operating room. The cars at the Rady Children's Hospital are actually operated by a nurse or a doctor, and are part of a new program designed to make children more relaxed before their procedures. Source
  • Teen killer remains in adult jail in 'shocking' case of segregation

    Canada News CBC News
    A judge has urged Nova Scotia corrections officials to move an 18-year-old convicted murderer out of an adult jail where he's been held in virtual isolation for a year after he attacked guards at his youth facility. Source
  • Homes destroyed as Hurricane Maria slams Puerto Rico: ‘This is going to be a disaster’ [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — One of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit Puerto Rico pummeled the island Wednesday as officials warned it would decimate the power company’s crumbling infrastructure and force the government to rebuild dozens of communities. Source