Foreign troops in Syria would return home 'in coffins,' foreign minister warns

DAMASCUS, Syria -- Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem warned Saturday that Saudi or other foreign ground troops entering Syria would "return home in wooden coffins," and called on rebel groups fighting a massive government offensive in the north to "come to their senses" and lay down their weapons.

See Full Article

His comments came after Saudi Arabia said earlier this week it would be willing to send troops as part of a U.S.-led military campaign against Islamic State extremists. The group controls large parts of Syria and Iraq.

Al-Moallem said conventional wisdom and logic would suggest the entry of Saudi troops is unlikely, but that "with the crazy Saudi leadership nothing is far-fetched."

"Any ground intervention in Syria, without the consent of the Syrian government, will be considered an aggression that should be resisted by every Syrian citizen," he told a news conference in Damascus. "I regret to say that they will return home in wooden coffins."

He repeated the line three times during the one-hour press conference, saying it applies to anyone who attacks Syria with ground troops. Russia's Defence Ministry on Thursday said it had "reasonable grounds" to suspect Turkey is making intensive preparations for a military invasion of Syria.

Al-Moallem's comments capped a week that saw the collapse of U.N.-led efforts to launch indirect peace talks between the Syrian government and an opposition delegation in Geneva.

The talks broke down in large part because of Syrian government offensives, including on the outskirts of Aleppo, the country's largest city and one-time commercial centre. The offensive, aimed at encircling rebel strongholds in Aleppo, was backed by intense Russian airstrikes and sent tens of thousands of area residents fleeing toward a closed Turkish border.

Al-Moallem said the government advances signalled that the five-year-old Syria war is nearing its end, although he said there's no telling how long "those who conspire" against Syria will continue to do so.

"I can say, from the achievements for our armed forces ... that we are now on track to end the conflict," he said. "Like it or not, our battlefield achievements indicate that we are headed toward the end of the crisis."

Al-Moallem urged armed opposition groups fighting the government offensive in the area to lay down their weapons. "It is time to return to your senses and come back to the nation's fold, because even your supporters and sponsors have abandoned you," he said.

Opposition representatives have said they cannot be expected to negotiate in Geneva at a time when the Syrian government and its allies, including Russia, are escalating attacks on rebel strongholds.

Al-Moallem dismissed the representatives of the Saudi-backed opposition in Geneva, suggesting they followed orders from Saudi Arabia and were "not real Syrians."

He alleged the opposition never intended to negotiate seriously. "They did not come to have dialogue, they did not have such orders," he said.

Al-Moallem said the Syrian government was ready to have dialogue with Syrians, but without preconditions.

Associated Press writers Zeina Karam and Karin Laub in Beirut contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Five years after Superstorm Sandy flooding, NYC subway station reopens

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A New York City subway station has reopened nearly five years after Superstorm Sandy flooded it with 15 million gallons of water. The South Ferry station on the No. 1 line reopened Tuesday after more than $340 million worth of repairs. Source
  • 80-year-old woman attacked by rabid bobcat in garden

    World News Toronto Sun
    SUNAPEE, N.H. — An 80-year-old New Hampshire woman fought off a rabid bobcat with the help of her two dogs and her gardening sickle. Elsie Dabrowski says she was gardening Sunday at her Sunapee home when the animal attacked , biting her face, arm and back. Source
  • Famed lawyer F. Lee Bailey files for bankruptcy once again

    World News Toronto Sun
    PORTLAND, Maine — Famed defence attorney F. Lee Bailey has filed for bankruptcy again to tie up loose ends following his bankruptcy filing last year. The attorney, whose high-profile clients have included O.J. Simpson, discharged more than $4 million in debt to the Internal Revenue Service in the previous case. Source
  • New York City subway train derails, dozens injured

    World News CBC News
    A subway train derailed near a station in Harlem on Tuesday, frightening passengers and resulting in minor injuries as hundreds of people were evacuated from trains along the subway line. "We started seeing sparks through the windows. Source
  • Royal Bank to reimburse $22M in investment fees it shouldn't have charged some clients

    Canada News CBC News
    The Ontario Securities Commission says the settlement comes after a compliance review in 2015 found the bank had overcharged some of its customers 'excess fees,' for their investments. (Mark Blinch/Reuters) The Royal Bank of Canada will pay almost $22 million in compensation to clients who were charged excess fees on some mutual funds and investments products. Source
  • Lockdown lifted at Alabama military post

    World News Toronto Sun
    HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — Authorities locked down an Alabama military post on Tuesday amid reports of possible active shooter, and workers were advised to “run hide fight.” About two hours later, the all-clear was given and officials said there were no confirmed injuries or arrests. Source
  • 'I said I had some cookies for him': Death row inmates detail how they killed other prisoners to get there [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    COLUMBIA, S.C. — One by one, Denver Simmons recalled, he and his partner lured inmates into his cell. William Scruggs was promised cookies in exchange for doing some laundry; Jimmy Ham thought he was coming to snort some crushed pills. Source
  • Fla. man, accused of threatening to kill politician because he was 'fed up with the Republican Party,' says he was off his meds: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS First posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 01:23 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 01:52 PM EDT Source
  • Shots fired at home linked to murdered mobster, police say

    Canada News CTV News
    HAMILTON -- Police say they believe a Hamilton home associated with an Ontario mobster family was "specifically targeted" in a shooting incident early Tuesday. Hamilton police Const. Steve Welton says numerous gunshots were reported in a residential neighbourhood around 2:30 a.m. Source
  • Weedon, tiny Quebec town with apropos name, hopes to become cannabis capital

    Canada News CBC News
    It's not all in a name for Weedon, a small Quebec town planning to welcome a 1.5 million-square-foot cannabis production facility. Mayor Richard Tanguay said "it's no secret" that the town's moniker had a lot to do with how two Canadian companies found the municipality in Quebec's Eastern Townships, adding that "it all worked out because we had the other elements, too. Source