Taiwan earthquake: At least 3 dead, more than 100 hospitalized

Authorities say three people are dead more than 100 hospitalized from a 6.4-magnitude earthquake in south Taiwan.

This is a breaking news update.

See Full Article

An earlier version of this story follows below.

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck southern Taiwan early Saturday, toppling at least one high-rise residential building and trapping people inside. Firefighters rushed to pull out survivors.

Firefighters scrambled to the site with ladders, cranes and other equipment and pulled survivors from the building in the southern city of Tainan, footage from local TV broadcasters showed. It was unclear how many people were trapped inside. Some reports said dozens or scores of people might have been in the building at the time of the collapse.

The Taiwanese news website ET Today reported that two buildings toppled in Tainan, and that some water and gas utility pipes had ruptured. Sirens were wailing as city authorities responded to the quake, the news website said.

The temblor struck about 4 a.m. local time (2000 GMT Friday). It was located some 22 miles (36 kilometres) southeast of Yujing, and struck about 6 miles (10 kilometres) underground, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

It was felt as a lengthy, rolling shake in the capital, Taipei, on the other side of the island. But Taipei was quiet, with no sense of emergency or obvious damage just before dawn.

About two hours after the tremor, Taiwanese television EBC showed live images of a rescue at a partially collapsed building in Tainan. In it, rescue workers operating under the glare of floodlights combed through twisted concrete and metal and encountering people, apparently residents, who appeared dazed but uninjured.

Other footage showed people with their arms around firefighters being helped from the building, and cranes were being used to search darkened parts of the structure for survivors. Newscasters said other areas of the city were still being canvassed for possible damage.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Prosecutor: Wife sought women as slaves for husband

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERLIN — A couple accused of luring women to their home in western Germany and abusing them so badly that two of them died went on trial Wednesday, charged with murder by omission and bodily harm. Wilfried W. Source
  • Police: Wanted Oklahoma man had hit list, killed 2 relatives

    World News Toronto Sun
    OKLAHOMA CITY — Authorities say the Oklahoma man who has been wanted since Sunday in a string of violent crimes, including the killings of two relatives, had a hit list purporting to target several more people. Michael Dale Vance Jr. Source
  • 'You are fascinated with sex'; Newt Gingrich-Megyn Kelly showdown was one for the ages

    World News Toronto Sun
    There are times when words do not do complete justice to a moment. Tuesday night's Newt Gingrich-Megyn Kelly showdown is one of those times, which is why we've included the clip below of its final moments. (Here's the full interview, from the top. Source
  • Witness testifies MMA fighter accused of manslaughter seemed 'impressed with his one-hit knockout'

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    An eyewitness to a deadly "one-hit knockout" outside an Edmonton pub tearfully testified Tuesday the accused killer appeared "very proud" and "impressed" by what he had allegedly done. Sariah Reid told a jury she had been at Gallagher's Pub, 8937 82 Ave. Source
  • Chestermere crime kingpin jailed and fined $1.5 million

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Crime kingpin Dung Kien Luong was sentenced Tuesday to 5 1/2 years in prison and ordered to pay fines of $1.5 million for tax evasion and other charges. Luong, 53, had earlier pleaded guilty to four charges as part of a plea deal which saw several others withdrawn by the Crown. Source
  • Could the nickel be eliminated from your pocket change?

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — An internal federal analysis shows the government has studied the pros and cons of the nickel — but Ottawa insists it has no plans to force the five-cent coin into retirement, as it did the penny. Source
  • Couple facing theft charge in diamond switch appear in Saint John, N.B., court

    Canada News CTV News
    SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- The suspects in a string of nationwide jewelry heists were scheduled to appear today in a New Brunswick provincial court to face diamond-theft charges. Seventy-year-old Grigori Zaharov and 44-year-old Natalia Feldman of Vaughan, Ont. Source
  • 92-year-old Sask. man, recognized as world's oldest plumber, has no plans to retire

    Canada News CTV News
    His impressive resume includes accountant, pilot, journeyperson and Second World War veteran and now Lorne Figley has added another achievement to the list – the world’s oldest plumber. The 92-year-old Saskatoon man was bestowed the title by Guinness World Records earlier this month. Source
  • Nursing home suspect discussed sobriety online

    Canada News CTV News
    The Ontario nurse accused of killing eight elderly patients in long-term care facilities was active on social media, where she shared photos and recipes, commented on internet memes, and chronicled an apparent journey to sobriety that began two years ago. Source
  • Trump touts hotel as Pence heads to Utah in waning days

    World News CTV News
    ASHLAND, Ohio -- Donald Trump is taking a break from campaigning Wednesday to formally open his new hotel in Washington, while dispatching his running mate to play political defence in Utah -- which hasn't backed a Democrat for president in 52 years. Source