U.S., China discuss North Korea's rocket launch preparations

WASHINGTON -- The presidents of the U.S. and China agreed Friday that a planned rocket launch by North Korea would violate UN sanctions, the White House said, amid signs the isolated nation was moving closer to blastoff.

See Full Article

Commercial satellite imagery analyzed by U.S. researchers showed tanker trucks at the launch pad at the Sohae facility on North Korea's west coast. That is likely to fill fuel and oxidizer tanks, in preparation for what North Korea says is the launch of an Earth observation satellite but which the U.S. calls a ballistic missile test.

North Korea this week announced the launch would take place between Feb. 8 and 25. It would follow the government's announcement of a purported hydrogen bomb test last month that has deepened international concern over its progress toward having a nuclear bomb that can be mounted on a long-range missile.

President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke by telephone Friday and agreed that the launch would be another "provocative and destabilizing" action in violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions, a White House statement said.

They reaffirmed their refusal to accept a nuclear-armed North Korea, as well as their commitment to the "complete and verifiable" denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. The leaders also emphasized the need for a united international response to North Korea's actions, including through the UN Security Council, the statement said.

But the U.S. has appeared more eager than China, the North's only ally and its main source of economic support, to crank up sanctions.

Chinese state news agency Xinhua, in its dispatch about the call between the two leaders, said Xi stressed that the current situation on the peninsula is "complicated and sensitive."

A North Korean launch is considered a violation of UN sanctions as similar technology can be used for ballistic missiles.

The North Korea-focused website, 38 North, said in an analysis the evidence from satellite imagery taken on Wednesday and Thursday doesn't mean the North has starting filling a rocket with fuel, but is probably taking a preparatory step. It says that in the past, such activity has happened one to two weeks before blastoff.

The website said it is not yet clear if a rocket is on the launch pad.

Associated Press writer Darlene Superville contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump slams media reports of Kushner's Russia contacts as 'fabricated lies'

    World News CBC News
    Congressional Democrats on Sunday demanded to hear directly from top White House adviser Jared Kushner over allegations of proposed secret back-channel communications with Russia, saying the security clearance of President Donald Trump's son-in-law may need to be revoked. Source
  • 'Just a waiting game': Bear in a tree wins standoff with Winnipeg police

    Canada News CTV News
    Winnipeg police and conservation officers spent several hours this weekend trying to convince a bear to climb down from a tree. The standoff started Saturday around noon when conservation officers attempted to reach the stranded animal with a bucket truck and hit it with a tranquilizer. Source
  • Toronto boy's death in bicycle fall prompts call for more safty measures

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The death of a five-year-old riding his bike next to a high-traffic road has renewed a debate in Canada's largest city about measures to protect cyclists, prompting some experts and Toronto's mayor to call for further action. Source
  • Toronto boy's death in bicycle fall prompts call for more safety measures

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The death of a five-year-old riding his bike next to a high-traffic road has renewed a debate in Canada's largest city about measures to protect cyclists, prompting some experts and Toronto's mayor to call for further action. Source
  • Follow the money: Trump-Russia probe seeking financial criminality

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The Russia-related probes haunting Donald Trump's presidency are being pushed into a dark new realm: the president's political tormentors are now asking questions about the underworld, organized crime, and money-laundering. This recent development been overshadowed by other daily headlines like the latest news about Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner allegedly seeking a secret communication channel with the Russian government. Source
  • Manchester bee tattoos sweep the city in wake of attack

    World News CTV News
    Tattoo parlours in Manchester have been swarming with customers seeking bee tattoos, as Brits get themselves inked to show solidary and raise money for the victims of last week's terror attack. Several tattoo parlours held fundraising drives throughout the week, with all proceeds from bee-shaped tattoos going to the victims of the May 22 bombing at Manchester Arena, which occurred at the end of an Ariana Grande concert. Source
  • Terrifying crash knocks Scott Dixon out of Indy 500

    World News CBC News
    Pole sitter Scott Dixon was knocked out of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday by a terrifying crash that saw his car fly over the car of Jay Howard and land atop the inside safety fence, where it split in two amid sparks and flames. Source
  • Liberals go on attack after Scheer's win of Tory leadership

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Even before Conservatives began counting the ballots, the ruling Liberals set out to frame the new Opposition leader as a far-right extremist. Only trouble was, the relentless barrage of email missives from Liberal headquarters in the days and hours leading up to Saturday’s vote were aimed largely at Maxime Bernier, the front-runner and presumed winner of the marathon Conservative leadership race. Source
  • Most Airbnb hosts not registered in Quebec, 1 year after law took effect

    Canada News CBC News
    The majority of Quebecers who list their properties on Airbnb and other home rental websites are not registering with the province, just over a year since it implemented a law regulating them, new data suggests. Tourisme Québec says it issued 967 permits for rental hosts out of 2,244 applications in the year since the law took effect on April 15, 2016. Source
  • Greatly expanded passenger laptop ban being considered in U.S.

    World News CBC News
    Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Sunday he's considering banning laptops from the passenger cabins of all international flights to and from the United States. That would dramatically expand a ban announced in March that affects about 50 flights per day from 10 cities, mostly in the Middle East. Source