Two kids, 2 women, 2 men found dead in Chicago home

Chicago police are investigating what led to the deaths of two children, two women and two men whose bodies were found with signs of trauma inside a home on the city's South Side.

See Full Article

Chicago police Chief of Detective Eugene Roy said Friday morning that the victims suffered blunt trauma. The bodies were found Thursday afternoon, when police initially said four men, a woman and a child had been killed. Police are investigating the deaths as a multiple homicide.

The victims' identities will be released after the Cook County medical examiner has performed autopsies Friday morning, Roy said. He said it appeared the victims were members of the same family.

Interim Chicago Police Superintendent John Escalante said police are trying to locate relatives.

There were no signs of forced entry to the residence in the Gage Park neighbourhood, the home didn't appear ransacked, and the victims weren't bound, Roy said.

Escalante told reporters Thursday that the case appeared to be an isolated incident and that there was no wider threat to the community, but police added extra patrols in the neighbourhood as a precaution. Asked whether it could have been a murder-suicide, he said it was "a possibility."

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said later Thursday that police were "not yet" searching for suspects.

Escalante said police checked the house Thursday afternoon after receiving a call from a co-worker worried about someone who lived there. That person had missed two days of work, which was "highly unusual and very suspicious," Escalante said.

Police arrived at the single-family brick home just after 1 p.m. They looked inside and saw one body, entered and found five more.

Six people lived in the home -- a couple, their son, their daughter and the daughter's two children -- a relative said.

"They were a normal family. Everything was fine," Noemi Martinez, 29, said from Dallas during a phone interview in Spanish. She said her husband was a nephew and cousin of the home's residents.

Martinez said the father worked at a factory in Chicago and the mother was a housewife. They were originally from the Mexican state of Guanajuato and had lived in Chicago for about a decade, Martinez said.

"Right now, we just want to know who did this. They didn't deserve this. We don't understand what happened," she said.

Escalante said the investigation would take time but emphasized there was no imminent threat.

"At this time we don't believe that there is any threat to the surrounding community or any known threat right now to the immediate neighbourhood," he said.

In the neighbourhood, three teenage boys said they were worried about a classmate at Rachel Carson Elementary School who lived in the home. They feared he was among the dead.

"His favourite sport was soccer," Aaron Villazana said of his friend, and Emmanuel Hernandez chimed in: "He'd get out of school and play soccer. ... He liked sharing."

"I just saw him three days ago. He was walking by. He told me, 'How are your basketball games going?"' said Jesus Anderade.

Earlier, Rosa De La Torre's 13-year-old son comforted her as she sat down and sobbed near the home, worried a friend could be among the victims.

Another neighbour, Lettie Magas, 68, lamented what she said has been an increase in crime in recent years.

"I feel safe as long as it's daylight out, but I won't come out at night, no way," Magas said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Mexico identifies 56 sets of human remains in mass grave

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — Prosecutors said Sunday that 56 sets of human remains have been identified in a jumble of bone fragments found at a burial pit in Mexico’s northern border state of Nuevo Leon. State prosecutors said the pit was discovered in February 2016 on a rural hillside in Garcia, near the northern city of Monterrey. Source
  • Canada poised to deport serial rapist

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Authorities in Malaysia are on alert as Canada gets set to deport an unrepentant serial rapist back to his homeland. The Ottawa-based High Commissioner of Malaysia is taking the “necessary action” regarding Selva Kumar Subbiah, spokesman Dzulkefly Abdullah said in an e-mail, without elaborating. Source
  • 'An awakening' for Canadians attending U.S. women’s marches

    Canada News CTV News
    Canadian women who attended women's marches in the United States on Saturday say the events have left them feeling inspired. Busloads of Canadians from Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and other cities crossed the border Friday and Saturday to attend the anti-Donald Trump marches, including a major one in Washington, D.C. Source
  • Trudeau cabinet kicks off Calgary retreat with talk of Trump, security

    Canada News CBC News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his cabinet colleagues have arrived in Calgary for a three-day retreat to ready themselves for the realities of governing in the Donald Trump era, and to hear from experts who they've tapped to help guide them through a potentially tumultuous time with the new U.S. Source
  • Canada not the focus of Trump's NAFTA talk, ambassador says

    Canada News CBC News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his cabinet colleagues have arrived in Calgary for a three-day retreat to ready themselves for the realities of governing in the Donald Trump era, and to hear from experts who they've tapped to help guide them through a potentially tumultuous time with the new U.S. Source
  • 1 dead, multiple injured in Texas mall shooting

    World News Toronto Sun
    SAN ANTONIO — A robbery inside a San Antonio shopping mall ended with shots fired on Sunday, leaving one person who tried to intervene dead, three others shot and another two people taken to hospital with non-shooting injuries, police and fire officials said. Source
  • Experienced skier killed in B.C. avalanche

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    NELSON, B.C. — Police say a woman from Anchorage, Alaska was the victim of fatal avalanche near Nelson, B.C. RCMP say the 32-year-old was skiing with two others near Qua Peak in the southern part of the province on Saturday morning. Source
  • Trump, amid combative start, pledges to rise to moment [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Sunday offered a scattershot response to the sweeping post-inauguration protests against his new administration, sarcastically undermining the public opposition and then defending demonstrators’ rights a short time later. “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election! Why didn’t these people vote? Celebs hurt cause badly,” tweeted Trump, at 7:51 a.m. Source
  • One dead in Texas mall shooting

    World News CTV News
    Authorities in San Antonio say one person is dead and five others have been injured after two men robbed a jewellery store in a San Antonio shopping mall. Police Chief William McManus said that after the two suspects fled the store on Sunday, one of them fatally shot a "good Samaritan" who tried to stop them. Source
  • One dead, 5 injured in Texas mall shooting

    World News CTV News
    SAN ANTONIO -- A robbery inside a San Antonio shopping mall ended with shots fired on Sunday, leaving one person who tried to intervene dead, three others shot and another two people taken to hospital with non-shooting injuries, police and fire officials said. Source