Syrian troops push ahead in offensive, take another village

BEIRUT -- The Syrian military and allied fighters, backed by Russian airstrikes, on Friday pushed ahead with a major offensive in the north of the country, capturing another village and moving a step closer to encircling contested Aleppo, Syria's largest city.

See Full Article

The offensive near the Turkish border, which began earlier this week, has sent tens of thousands of residents fleeing. Turkey has said about 10,000 Syrians have amassed on the Syrian side of the Turkish border and that about 70,000 more were on their way.

Meanwhile, there was mounting Western criticism of Russia's military support for its ally, Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Russian airstrikes in Syrian that mainly target opposition forces are "undermining efforts to find a political solution to the conflict," NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Friday.

Russian air force activity in Syria has also led to increased violations of Turkish airspace, Stoltenberg said in Amsterdam, on the sidelines of a meeting of EU defence ministers. "This creates risks, heightened tensions and is of course a challenge for NATO because they're violations of NATO's airspace," he said.

The Syrian government offensive comes at a time when hopes for a peace deal are increasingly dim, amid signs of possible further foreign military intervention.

Earlier this week, a U.N.-led attempt to launch indirect talks between a government delegation and opposition representatives in Geneva was adjourned after several days of acrimonious bickering.

At the same time, the Russian military said Thursday it had "reasonable grounds" to suspect that Turkey is making intensive preparations for a military invasion of neighbouring Syria, while a Saudi military spokesman said the kingdom is ready, in principle, to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State group extremists.

In Friday's fighting, pro-government troops retook the village of Rityan north of Aleppo, one of several communities they captured in the area this week, according to the state news agency SANA and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The Observatory, an opposition monitoring group, said pro-government troops were backed by Russian airstrikes. It said that by taking Rityan, the government secured a road that links the predominantly Shiite villages of Nubl and Zahraa. These villages had been encircled by rebels for more than three years, but government troops broke the siege earlier this week.

In capturing another community Friday, the government also moved a step closer toward surrounding Aleppo.

The city, Syria's one-time commercial centre, has been carved up between government and rebel-held districts since the summer of 2012. A government siege of Aleppo and its rebel strongholds would deal a potentially devastating blow.

Also Friday, the Syrian army and allied militias retook the town of Atman near the southern city of Daraa, located between the capital Damascus and the Jordanian border, according to the Observatory and Syrian state media

The Observatory said the capture opened several supply routes to Daraa, which is divided between government and opposition fighters. Troops advanced under the cover of heavy artillery bombardment and air power, the Observatory said.

Daraa was the scene of some of the first protests against Assad in 2011 and holds symbolic value in the narrative of the uprising that has since collapsed into a vicious civil war.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • California father accused of killing son after Disneyland trip

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Detectives believe a 5-year-old California boy who has been missing for two months was killed by his father after a family trip to Disneyland. But despite weeks of intensive searches, investigators have not yet found the boy's body. Source
  • Second landslide in a week hits village in southwest China

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - A second landslide has struck the village in southwest China where rescue workers have been looking for nearly 100 people buried over the weekend by a massive wave of rocks and debris. Chinese state radio says the latest landslide struck the village of Xinmo in Sichuan province at around 11 a.m. Source
  • White House warns Syria's leader against chemical attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - The White House issued a stern warning to Syrian President Bashar Assad on Monday night as it claimed "potential" evidence that Syria was preparing for another chemical weapons attack. In an ominous statement issued with no supporting evidence or further explanation, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the U.S. Source
  • Mom of 'Baby Doe' to be sentenced, day after boyfriend is convicted

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON - The mother of a 2-year-old girl who became known as Baby Doe after her remains washed up on a Boston Harbor island is scheduled to be sentenced. Rachelle Bond is expected to be sentenced to time served Tuesday - a day after her ex-boyfriend was convicted of second-degree murder in the girl's death. Source
  • Corruption charge increases pressure on Brazil's president

    World News CTV News
    RIO DE JANEIRO - In a scathing 64-page indictment, Brazil's top prosecutor described a scheming, arrogant and corrupt President Michel Temer who lined his pockets with illegal money while showing little regard for the office he represented. Source
  • LAPD officer had more than 100 illegal guns hidden at home: official

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles police officer who was arrested last week and suspected of having sex with a teenage cadet had dozens of illegal guns in his home, a law enforcement official said Monday. Source
  • White House warns Syria's Assad against chemical attack

    World News CBC News
    The White House issued a stern warning to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Monday night as it claimed "potential" evidence that Syria was preparing for another chemical weapons attack. In an ominous statement issued with no supporting evidence or further explanation, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the U.S. Source
  • Montreal's Fête nationale committee explains, apologizes for racism controversy

    Canada News CBC News
    Organizers of Montreal's Fête nationale parade are apologizing to anyone who was upset by the sight of black teens pushing floats carrying white people during Saturday's event. In a viral video showing the first float of the parade, four teens are seen pushing a float with two white performers on board, in front of a giant book that says, "Once upon a time…" in French. Source
  • CNN accepts resignations of 3 involved in retracted story

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK - CNN accepted the resignations Monday of three journalists involved in a retracted story about a supposed investigation into a pre-inaugural meeting between an associate of President Donald Trump and the head of a Russian investment fund. Source
  • White House warns of 'potential' chemical attack preparations in Syria

    World News CTV News
    FILE - In this Tuesday, April 4, 2017 file photo, victims of the suspected chemical weapons attack lie on the ground, in Khan Sheikhoun, in the northern province of Idlib, Syria. (Alaa Alyousef via AP, File) Source