Syrian government closes in on city of Daraa

BEIRUT - The Syrian Army on Friday retook a strategic town on the doorstep of Daraa, a contested southern city that lies between Damascus and the Jordan border, according to activists and the Syrian state news agency.

See Full Article

The conquest of the town of Atman opens up several supply routes to Daraa, which is divided between government and opposition fighters, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported. The Observatory, which relies on a network of activists inside the country, said government troops and allied militias advanced under cover of airstrikes and heavy artillery bombardment.

The state-run SANA agency also reported the victory, saying government forces in Atman scattered the "terrorists" - a term that President Bashar Assad's government uses to refer to all rebels.

Daraa was the scene of some of the first protests against Assad in 2011 and holds symbolic value in the narrative of the uprising that has since collapsed into a vicious civil war.

The government victory near Dara come as a second government offensive closed in on the northern city of Aleppo, touching off a mass internal exodus of residents fleeing toward the Turkish border for safety.

Assad's troops launched a major offensive against Aleppo, Syria's largest city, even as opposition and government representatives were in Geneva for United Nations-sponsored peace talks. Opposition activists reported more than 500 targets hit by Syrian and Russian planes in one of the most intensive air campaigns since Moscow's intervention began late last year. Activists said troops were getting nearer to their goal of completely encircling the rebel-held eastern part of Aleppo and cutting it off from supply lines to Turkey.

The international aid group Mercy Corps said Thursday that intensified airstrikes and fighting around Aleppo had cut off the main humanitarian route into the Syrian city, and that tens of thousands of civilians were fleeing north toward the border with Turkey.

David Evans, Mercy Corps' regional program director for the Middle East, said in a statement Thursday that "it feels like a siege of Aleppo is about to begin."

Turkey's Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Thursday that some 10,000 Syrians who fled the Aleppo area were waiting at the Turkish border, seeking refuge.

Speaking at the international donors conference in London, Davutoglu said up to 70,000 others who had been sheltering in camps north of Aleppo were also moving toward the Turkish border.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Regina landlord frustrated about lack of refugees in neighbourhood

    Canada News CTV News
    A Regina landlord is frustrated that refugees seem to be avoiding a neighbourhood he says he has enough trouble getting locals to consider. Jason Hall has 95 houses in the North Central part of Saskatchewan’s capital. Source
  • Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access

    World News CTV News
    JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Missouri lawmakers are considering a "bathroom bill" targeting transgender children in public schools, despite a backlash that North Carolina faced over a broader law limiting bathroom use in all public buildings. Source
  • Bull on loose in NYC leads cops on wild chase [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — A cow that apparently escaped from a slaughterhouse has led police on a wild chase through New York City streets. Police corralled the animal in a backyard in Jamaica, Queens, after a chase that lasted more than an hour. Source
  • No evidence shots fired at Houston hospital: Reports

    World News Toronto Sun
    HOUSTON — The police chief in Houston says no one has been found injured and there’s no evidence of a shooting amid reports that shots were fired inside the hospital at the Texas Medical Center. Chief Art Acevedo says his officers were making a second search of Ben Taub Hospital, one of the city’s major trauma centres. Source
  • Vandal who smashed Trump star to pay damages, serve probation

    World News Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — A man who destroyed Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame has been sentenced to three years of probation for vandalism. An attorney for James Otis says he pleaded no contest to the felony Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court. Source
  • South Sudan promises 'unimpeded' aid access amid famine

    World News CTV News
    WATAMU, Kenya - South Sudan's president said Tuesday his government will ensure "unimpeded access" for all aid organizations, a day after famine was declared for more than 100,000 people in the country suffering from years of civil war. Source
  • Milo Yiannopoulos resigns as editor of Breitbart Tech

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Polarizing right-wing writer Milo Yiannopoulos resigned as an editor at Breitbart News on Tuesday and apologized for comments he had made about sexual relationships between boys and men. Yiannopoulos, speaking to reporters, said that two men, including a priest, had touched him inappropriately when he was between the ages of 13 and 16. Source
  • Dog helps save N.S. man, boys in collapsed snow fort

    Canada News CTV News
    LAWRENCETOWN, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia man is praising the efforts of the family dog for helping save him and two young boys who were buried under a heavy mountain of snow after their fort collapsed on top of them. Source
  • Ukraine backs more sanctions against Russia in passport spat

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW - Ukraine's president called Tuesday for new sanctions against Russia over its decision to recognize passports issued by separatist authorities in eastern Ukraine, while the Kremlin accused Ukraine of denying vital documents to people in the rebel regions. Source
  • Man credits family pet for saving him, boys after snow fort collapse

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    LAWRENCETOWN, N.S. — A Nova Scotia man is praising the efforts of the family dog for helping save him and two young boys who were buried under a heavy mountain of snow after their fort collapsed on top of them. Source