Mexican actress willing to talk to authorities about 'El Chapo'

LOS ANGELES - An attorney for actress Kate del Castillo said Thursday she is willing to talk to Mexican authorities about her encounters with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman and felt "betrayed" and "used" by actor Sean Penn, who wrote a lengthy article about his meeting with the drug kingpin after the actress introduced the two men.

See Full Article

The comments by Harland Braun, Del Castillo's U.S. lawyer, came after prosecutors in her native country issued an order for her to be located and brought in for questioning as part of a probe of possible money-laundering involving Guzman and the actress' tequila business.

Mexican Attorney General Arely Gomez confirmed that a kind of summons had been issued for Del Castillo to testify. Gomez stressed she is officially considered a witness and has not been accused of any crime.

The clandestine meeting took place last October as Del Castillo explored the possibility of developing a movie about the capo, and Penn's Rolling Stone interview was published Jan. 9, a day after Guzman was recaptured in a raid in the city of Los Mochis.

"She didn't know Penn was going to write for Rolling Stone. Would you meet with 'El Chapo' and approve to have the interview for publication?" Braun said. "After the interview she had no choice about it. Once Penn and Guzman agreed on the article, what was she going to do? She signed off after they had done so."

"That's what made her feel really betrayed by these people," he said, referring to Penn and two people who accompanied him. "The three of them go together and basically used her and didn't tell her."

In Penn's Rolling Stone article, he was vague about whether he had told Del Castillo about the story prior to the meeting with Guzman.

"It was then that I posed the idea of a magazine story," Penn wrote. "Espinoza's smile of mischief arose, indicating he would arrange for me to meet Kate back in Los Angeles. At a Santa Monica restaurant, I made my case, and Kate agreed to make the bridge, sending our names for vetting across the border."

While Mexican officials have not sought to question Penn, Braun assured that Del Castillo is willing to talk.

"In the course of the investigation they are going to talk to her, right?" Braun said. "If we receive proper information and credentials, she'll talk to them. She's not hiding anything."

But Braun suggested she would prefer to talk in the United States, noting "there's a treaty in the U.S. that says that Mexico can come here and question people."

As far as reprisals - Mexican officials have said Del Castillo's contacts with Guzman helped them almost catch the drug lord in an October raid - Braun said she had no fear.

"We're not afraid of anything 'cause she didn't do anything to hurt anyone," he said. "She didn't do this to expose Mr. Guzman."

Braun said "the Mexican government knows that there's no money laundering."

"You can find out very quickly by looking financial records," he said.

He also denied there was any relationship between Guzman and Del Castillo.

The Mexican newspaper Milenio recently published a series of text messages between del Castillo and "El Chapo" in which the drug lord showed more interest in the actress than in Penn. The two had planned to meet again, and the messages sometimes veered into a flirting tone and gushing expressions of mutual admiration.

A federal official confirmed the messages were authentic.

"He obviously was a fan of hers. She was trying to encourage him because he wanted to make a movie about his life. That's it," Braun said. "They're obviously friendly but that's it."

"You would not, if you're trying to make a movie about a person's life, antagonize them, right?"

Earlier Thursday, two Mexican security officials said federal prosecutors had issued the search order for Del Castillo because the movie and telenovela star did not voluntarily appear before authorities to give a statement as requested. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The officials said the order applies only to Mexican territory and added that if Del Castillo were found to be in the country, she would be detained to make a statement as a witness and then released after doing so.

Braun said Del Castillo, a naturalized U.S. citizen, was currently in Los Angeles, where she has lived for years.

He declined to comment on her legal situation in Mexico or whether he had been contacted by U.S. authorities.

Del Castillo recently sought a court injunction that would bar Mexican authorities from detaining her, although the judge asked her lawyers for more specifics before proceeding with the case.

Mexican authorities say the October meeting between Guzman, Del Castillo and Penn in the mountains of northwestern Mexico helped them locate the cartel leader, though he escaped arrest on that occasion.

Del Castillo has appeared in movies and TV shows produced in the United States, Mexico and elsewhere including "Weeds" and "La Reina del Sur."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Liberals go on attack after Scheer's win of Tory leadership

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Even before Conservatives began counting the ballots, the ruling Liberals set out to frame the new Opposition leader as a far-right extremist. Only trouble was, the relentless barrage of email missives from Liberal headquarters in the days and hours leading up to Saturday’s vote were aimed largely at Maxime Bernier, the front-runner and presumed winner of the marathon Conservative leadership race. Source
  • Most Airbnb hosts not registered in Quebec, 1 year after law took effect

    Canada News CBC News
    The majority of Quebecers who list their properties on Airbnb and other home rental websites are not registering with the province, just over a year since it implemented a law regulating them, new data suggests. Tourisme Québec says it issued 967 permits for rental hosts out of 2,244 applications in the year since the law took effect on April 15, 2016. Source
  • Greatly expanded passenger laptop ban being considered in U.S.

    World News CBC News
    Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Sunday he's considering banning laptops from the passenger cabins of all international flights to and from the United States. That would dramatically expand a ban announced in March that affects about 50 flights per day from 10 cities, mostly in the Middle East. Source
  • U.S. 'might' expand laptop ban to all international flights

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Sunday he’s considering banning laptops from the passenger cabins of all international flights to and from the United States. That would dramatically expand a ban announced in March that affects about 50 flights per day from 10 cities, mostly in the Middle East. Source
  • Egypt bus attack: Christians 'chose death' over converting to Islam to save their lives

    World News Toronto Sun
    CAIRO — Video interviews with survivors of a deadly attack by Islamic militants on a bus taking Egyptian Christians to a remote desert monastery are painting a picture of untold horror, with children hiding under their seats to escape gunfire. Source
  • Trump slams recent leaks about Russia as possibly 'fake news'

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and now top White House adviser Jared Kushner proposed a secret back channel between the Kremlin and the Trump transition team during a December meeting with a leading Russian diplomat. Source
  • Liberals go on attack after Scheer's win if Tory leadership

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Even before Conservatives began counting the ballots, the ruling Liberals set out to frame the new Opposition leader as a far-right extremist. Only trouble was, the relentless barrage of email missives from Liberal headquarters in the days and hours leading up to Saturday’s vote were aimed largely at Maxime Bernier, the front-runner and presumed winner of the marathon Conservative leadership race. Source
  • British Airways says most flights running

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British Airways cancelled all flights from London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports on Saturday as a global IT failure upended the travel plans of tens of thousands of people on a busy U.K. holiday weekend. The airline said it was suffering a “major IT systems failure” around the world. Source
  • B.C. fire chief's body recovered after disappearance in 2015 flood

    Canada News CTV News
    CACHE CREEK, B.C. - The body of a fire chief believed to have been swept away by high flood waters in British Columbia's Interior has been found. RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk says the Ashcroft fire department found Clayton Cassidy's body in the water at about 10:30 p.m. Source
  • B.C. fire chief's body recovered after disappearance in flood

    Canada News CTV News
    CACHE CREEK, B.C. - The body of a fire chief believed to have been swept away by high flood waters in British Columbia's Interior has been found. RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk says the Ashcroft fire department found Clayton Cassidy's body in the water at about 10:30 p.m. Source