No one submits verified claim for $63M lottery prize

LOS ANGELES - Luck may have run out for the winner of a California Lottery jackpot: The person has apparently let $63 million slip away.

See Full Article

Nobody showed up at a state lottery office by 5 p.m. Thursday with the ticket or submitted a verified claim for the prize, lottery spokesman Alex Traverso said.

A lawsuit filed Wednesday in Los Angeles seeks to have a judge declare a winner. Brandy Milliner contends he already turned in the ticket, but officials told him it was too damaged to be processed.

Traverso said the lottery is looking into the claim.

"We do have some claims to investigate," he said in an email shortly before the 5.p.m deadline. "So we can say as of right now, no one has come forward with the winning ticket. But we have had lots of inquiries and the potential for more claims."

If none of the claims pan out, it will be the largest unclaimed prize in California Lottery history and the money will go to the state's schools.

Lottery officials had sent out repeated calls for the winner to contact them, and media coverage ramped up as the deadline dwindled to days and then hours.

"If by some miracle you happen to find this extremely valuable piece of paper, the California Lottery urges you to sign your ticket in ink and get it to one of our lottery district offices," a Wednesday statement said.

The SuperLotto Plus ticket was sold on Aug. 8 at a 7-Eleven store in Los Angeles. The winning numbers were: 46-1-33-30-16 and the Mega number: 24.

A California winner also has not come forward to share in the Jan. 13 multistate Powerball prize of $1.6 billion. Two other winning tickets were sold in Florida and Tennessee, but only the Tennessee winners have claimed their cash so far.

Those claiming to be California Lottery jackpot winners routinely face an investigation to determine their credibility. "Especially when you're talking about millions and millions of dollars, those aren't just processed through with a rubber stamp," Traverso said Wednesday.

The previous largest unclaimed California Lottery prize was $28.5 million. It's harder to determine the largest unclaimed prize for a lottery game in U.S. history, but one must certainly be the $77 million Powerball jackpot won in Georgia in 2011.

Between $20 million and $30 million in prizes from various California games go unclaimed every year, Traverso said. Last year, the total was about $27.1 million.

That seems like a huge figure, but Traverso said the lottery pai



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Speed Skating Canada investigating 'substantive' complaints against head coach

    Canada News CBC News
    The head of Speed Skating Canada tells CBC News the organization is investigating "substantive" complaints against its head coach, Michael Crowe. CEO Susan Auch says the organization forced Crowe to leave his position on Jan. 9, just a month before the Winter Olympics after a number of athletes and coaches came forward. Source
  • Haz-mat investigators descend on 3rd Toronto property tied to accused killer Bruce McArthur

    Canada News CBC News
    A haz-mat team descended Saturday on a third Toronto property associated with Bruce McArthur, the accused killer of two men who vanished from the Gay Village last spring. Resident Stephen Haskett said he first noticed police in the neighbourhood Thursday, but didn't realize at the time why they were there. Source
  • Blaze at firecracker factory outside New Delhi kills at least 17

    World News CTV News
    NEW DELHI -- A massive fire broke out at a firecracker factory on the northern outskirts of the Indian capital on Saturday, killing at least 17 workers, a fire official said. A dozen fire engines took three hours to douse the fire in the Bawana industrial area of New Delhi. Source
  • B.C. school trustee vows to stay following controversial LGBTQ remarks

    Canada News CTV News
    CHILLIWACK, B.C. -- A school board trustee in British Columbia is vowing to stay in his job, despite calls that he resign over controversial remarks he made about LGBTQ issues. Barry Neufeld says in a statement that he "must" remain on the Chilliwack Board of Education to protect "impressionable children. Source
  • Tens of thousands stage anti-corruption protest in Romania

    World News CTV News
    BUCHAREST, Romania -- Tens of thousands of Romanians on Saturday protested against legislation passed by Parliament which critics say will make it harder to prosecute crime and high-level corruption. Protesters briefly scuffled with riot police as they massed in Bucharest's University Square. Source
  • Shutdown challenges Trump's brand as notorious dealmaker

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- He wrote a book on the art of negotiation and was elected to office claiming he alone could end Washington gridlock, but U.S. President Donald Trump's latest attempt to broker a big, bipartisan deal has turned into a big mess. Source
  • Manitoba woman charged after man stabbed, house lit on fire

    Canada News CTV News
    A Manitoba woman is facing multiple charges after allegedly stabbing a man and setting his house on fire. RCMP said the incident happened Friday in Lynn Lake, a remote community more than 1,000 kilometres north of Winnipeg. Source
  • 'Jury made the right decision,' says former MMA chairman of Lac-Mégantic verdict

    Canada News CBC News
    The former railway executive in charge of Montreal, Maine and Atlantic (MMA) is speaking out after the acquittal of three of his former employees charged with criminal negligence causing death in the 2013 Lac-Mégantic rail disaster. Source
  • Fatal shooting in Abbotsford, B.C., believed to be targeted: police

    Canada News CTV News
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. -- Police say a 24-year-old man is dead following an apparent homicide in Abbotsford, B.C. The Abbotsford Police Department says in a statement that they received multiple reports of shots fired in a residential neighbourhood Friday evening. Source
  • Pence says U.S. stands 'shoulder to shoulder' with Egypt

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence and Egyptian leader Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi pledged a united front against Mideast terrorism on Saturday as Pence, the highest-level American official to visit the U.S. ally in nearly a decade, began a trip through the region amid a government shutdown in Washington. Source