Actress sought for questioning about 'El Chapo'

MEXICO CITY -- Prosecutors have ordered that actress Kate del Castillo be located and brought in for questioning about her encounters with drug cartel kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, Mexican officials said Thursday.

See Full Article

Authorities have been seeking to interview del Castillo for an investigation of possible money-laundering involving Guzman and the actress' tequila business, after last month's revelation that she helped broker a meeting between the capo and actor Sean Penn. She has not been accused of any crime.

Two security officials confirmed that federal prosecutors issued the order because the movie and telenovela star did not voluntarily appear before authorities to give a statement as requested. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The officials said the order applies only to Mexican territory and added that if del Castillo were found to be in the country, she would be detained to make a statement as a witness and then released after doing so.

Del Castillo, a naturalized U.S. citizen who has lived for years in Los Angeles, recently asked a court for an injunction barring Mexican authorities from detaining her, although the judge asked her lawyers for more specifics before proceeding with the case.

The actress' publicist did not immediately reply to messages seeking comment Thursday. Del Castillo has not responded to multiple AP requests for comment in recent weeks, but she posted a tweet in mid-January saying many people were making up "items they think will make good stories and that aren't truthful."

Mexican authorities say the October meeting between Guzman, del Castillo and Penn in the mountains of northwestern Mexico helped them locate the cartel leader, though he escaped arrest on that occasion.

The encounter was described by the actor in a Rolling Stone article published Jan. 9, a day after Guzman was captured in a raid in the city of Los Mochis. Mexican officials have not sought to question Penn.

The Mexican newspaper Milenio later published a series of text messages between del Castillo and "El Chapo" in which the drug lord showed more interest in the actress than in Penn. The two had planned to meet again.

A federal official confirmed the messages were authentic.

Del Castillo has appeared in movies and TV shows produced in the United States, Mexico and elsewhere including "Weeds" and "La Reina del Sur," in which she portrayed a powerful cartel boss. Last year she had a part in the feature film "The 33," a fictional account of the 2010 Chilean mine collapse that trapped 33 miners underground for months.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 'Why are you following me?' Video of Calgary man followed by Walmart security guard goes viral

    Canada News CTV News
    A Calgary man says he began recording a recent experience he had at a local Walmart after he says he was closely followed by a security guard. Jean Ventose, a 21-year-old University of Calgary student, says he picked up a pair of headphones from the electronics department when he noticed a security guard was following him. Source
  • Perez, Ellison head to second ballot in DNC race

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- Democrats elected former Labor Secretary Tom Perez as their new national chairman on Saturday over a liberal Minnesota congressman after a divisive campaign that reflected the depths of the party's electoral failures as well as the energy from resistance to President Donald Trump. Source
  • Hockey hero homicide [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Thomas Clayton ticked the boxes for a podunkville jock on the slippery side of 40. He was handsome, gregarious, reckless and loved the ladies. This potent cocktail is a heady rush when you’re 20 – a disaster as a fully-formed adult. Source
  • Large sewage spill in Tijuana, Mexico, flows north of border

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Officials in Southern California are crying foul after more than 140 million gallons of raw sewage spilled into the Tijuana River in Mexico and flowed north of the border for more than two weeks, according to a report. Source
  • Germany: Man hits 3 with car and flees, is shot by police

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, injuring three people, then fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said. Source
  • Florida man accused of stealing US$150,000 Maserati during test-drive

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOCA RATON, Fla. — A Maserati is missing after police say a man conned a salesman during a test drive. Boca Raton police say 45-year-old Michael McGilvary II went to a dealership to test drive a US$150,000 Maserati GranTurismo. Source
  • Man hits 3 with car in Heidelberg, Germany

    World News CBC News
    A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, injuring three people, then fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said. Source
  • Syrian cinematographer barred from U.S. ahead of Oscars; stars gather at unity rally

    World News CBC News
    U.S. immigration authorities are barring entry to a 21-year-old Syrian cinematographer who worked on a harrowing film about his nation's civil war, The White Helmets, that has been nominated for an Academy Award. According to internal Trump administration correspondence seen by The Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security has decided at the last minute to block Khaled Khateeb from travelling to Los Angeles for the Oscars. Source
  • Wisconsin man gets 3 1/2 years for cutting off woman's finger to honour dead Insane Clown Posse fan [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    GREEN BAY, Wis. — A Wisconsin man has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison after pleading no contest last year to cutting off a woman’s finger as part of a ritual to honour a fellow rap music fan. Source
  • Homeland Security report downplays threat from 7 nations in Trump travel ban

    World News CBC News
    Analysts at the U.S. Homeland Security Department's intelligence arm found insufficient evidence that citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries included in President Donald Trump's travel ban pose a terror threat to the United States. A draft document obtained by The Associated Press concludes that citizenship is an "unlikely indicator" of terrorism threats to the United States and that few people from the countries Trump listed in his travel ban have carried out attacks or been involved in…