Germany conducts raids over suspected attack plans

BERLIN -- German police conducted raids and arrested two suspects on Thursday in an investigation of four Algerian men who are suspected of planning an attack in Germany and having ties to the Islamic State group.

See Full Article

The arrests were made in Berlin and at a refugee home in the western town of Attendorn, Berlin police spokesman Stefan Redlich said. They were based on existing warrants in other cases.

The other two suspects, one of whom was at a refugee home in the central city of Hannover, weren't arrested.

Authorities suspect that the four men had contacts with the IS group and say that one of them -- the man arrested in Attendorn -- is sought by Algerian authorities for belonging to the extremist group. He is believed to have received military training in Syria.

His wife is also wanted by Algerian authorities and was arrested, though she isn't a suspect in the German case, Berlin prosecutors' spokesman Martin Steltner said.

Redlich said the probe started in December and there was no specific trigger for staging the raids on Thursday, noting that searches in multiple locations require preparation. Investigators seized computers, cellphones and other material.

"We hope for further information from the evaluation of the evidence as to whether this plan existed, how far along it was and how concrete, with what target," Redlich said. Steltner said the suspicion is that an attack in Berlin was planned.

The men arrested on Thursday have used aliases, claiming to be Syrian and French, Redlich said.

Steltner said the suspects had been in Germany for varying lengths of time, from late last year in the case of the man arrested in Attendorn to as much as 15 years.

Germany so far has been spared mass-casualty attacks by Islamic extremists such as the Nov. 13 Paris attacks but security officials say it is also a target.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Prague hotel fire kills 2, injures 8

    World News CTV News
    PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- Czech officials say a hotel fire in downtown Prague has killed at least two people and injured dozens. Prague rescue service spokeswoman Jana Postova says that eight people have been rushed to hospitals with serious injuries after the blaze broke out in the hotel Saturday evening. Source
  • Gunmen storm Intercontinental Hotel in Afghan capital Kabul

    World News CTV News
    KABUL -- An Afghan official says that a group of gunmen have attacked the Intercontinental Hotel in the capital Kabul. Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish confirmed Saturday that the hotel came under attack at around 9 p.m. Source
  • U.S. cardinal calls pope's comments on abuse victims 'a source of great pain'

    World News CTV News
    LIMA, Peru -- Pope Francis' top adviser on clerical sex abuse implicitly rebuked the pontiff over his accusations of slander against Chilean abuse victims, saying Saturday that his words were "a source of great pain for survivors of sexual abuse. Source
  • Sherman family's private investigators believe couple was murdered: report

    Canada News CTV News
    Despite earlier information suggesting a possible murder-suicide, Toronto billionaire philanthropists Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered, according to the findings of a private team of investigators hired by the family, Toronto Star’s Chief Investigative Reporter Kevin Donovan tells CTV News. Source
  • Gunmen attack Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel

    World News CBC News
    A group of as many as four gunmen attacked the Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital Kabul and were exchanging fire with security forces on Saturday as residents and staff fled. Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab, who managed to escape unhurt, said the attackers had managed to get inside and people were fleeing amid bursts of gunfire on all sides, but he could say nothing about any casualties. Source
  • Men's Facebook group appears to re-emerge after being taken offline

    Canada News CTV News
    Despite being taken offline Friday night, a private, men-only Facebook group that was linked to trolling attacks on several B.C. businesses appears to have re-emerged.Scroll down or click here to vote in our poll of the day The ‘Official HimPower Backup Group’ Facebook group has garnered a slew of new members since the ‘HimPower’ group was shut down after CTV News revealed that some of its 44,000+ members were sharing intimate images of women without their consent and posting offensive online…
  • Junior hockey star charged in violent break-in at Calgary professor's home

    Canada News CBC News
    A Mount Royal University student and the former captain of its hockey team has been charged in a brutal attack on an MRU professor after a break-in at her Calgary home last weekend, CBC News has learned. Originally from Truro, N.S. Source
  • Mudslides take heavy toll on immigrants serving posh town

    World News CTV News
    Oprah Winfrey and Rob Lowe give Montecito its star power, but it's people like Antonio and Victor Benitez who keep the wealthy Southern California community running. The Mexican brothers are gardeners and part of the town's working-class immigrant population, which suffered outsized losses from the recent mudslides that killed at least 20, injured dozens and damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes. Source
  • Turkish jets bombard Kurdish-run city of Afrin in Syria

    World News CBC News
    Turkish jets bombed the Kurdish-controlled city of Afrin in northern Syria on Saturday, as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to expand Turkey's military border operations against a Kurdish group that has been the U.S.'s key Syria ally in the war on the group Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Source
  • P.E.I. legion to apologize after Sikh man reportedly asked to remove headdress

    Canada News CTV News
    TIGNISH, P.E.I. - The president of a P.E.I. branch of the Royal Canadian Legion is expected to apologize after a Sikh man was reportedly asked to remove his religious head covering and heckled with racist remarks. Source