Real estate heir Robert Durst pleads guilty on weapons charge

NEW ORLEANS -- A New York real estate heir pleaded guilty in New Orleans on Wednesday to a weapons charge and agreed to an 85-month prison sentence, a move that could usher in his extradition to California to face murder charges.

See Full Article

U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt told Robert Durst that he will not make the plea final before he reviews a pre-sentencing report due in two weeks.

Durst, 72, appeared frail. He said mostly "Yes, your honour" and occasionally "I'm sorry; I couldn't hear that." Defence attorney Richard DeGuerin occasionally repeated questions into Durst's right ear; he told the judge that Durst's left ear is completely deaf.

Durst wore an orange jail jumpsuit, and his hands were shackled to his waist. When Durst was sworn in, the judge told him to raise his right hand, quickly amending that to "as best you can."

Durst admitted that he illegally carried a .38-calibre revolver after being convicted of a felony.

The charge stems from his arrest in a New Orleans hotel last year by FBI agents who feared he was about to flee to Cuba. The gun was found in the hotel room he had taken under the name Everette Ward. After his arrest, a package with $117,000 in cash arrived, addressed to Everette Ward. Durst will forfeit that money, Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael McMahon said after the hearing.

Durst was charged last year with the 2000 death of his friend Susan Berman after mumbling "killed them all" during the taping of an HBO documentary. His lawyer, Richard DeGuerin, says Durst did not kill Berman.

McMahon called the plea agreement a "good result." The maximum would have been 10 years and a $250,000 fine.

"Now he goes on to Los Angeles to face a charge of murder" in Berman's death, the prosecutor said. He describing the proposed sentence as "the result of very intense negotiations" among federal prosecutors, Durst's attorneys, and the Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office, which originally brought a weapons charge against Durst.

If Engelhardt accepts the plea, prosecutors in Los Angeles have agreed to arraign Durst by Aug. 18, McMahon told the judge.

"This agreement has a lot of moving parts and a lot of jurisdictions. What we're doing and have been trying to do from the start is get Bob Durst to Los Angeles," defence attorney DeGuerin said after the hearing. "Bob Durst did not kill Susan Berman, does not know who did, and wants to prove it."

Although Durst waived extradition from the start, he will remain in Louisiana at least until after his sentencing. If the judge accepts the sentence, then the Bureau of Prisons decides where Durst will serve it, though Engelhardt can recommend a prison.

DeGuerin told the judge he will ask for the Terminal Island prison because it's close to Los Angeles.

The plea bargain will be nullified if the judge gives Durst a different sentence, McMahon said.

An estranged member of the wealthy New York real estate family that runs 1 World Trade Center, Durst is accused of killing Berman to keep her from talking to New York prosecutors about the disappearance of Durst's first wife, Kathleen, in 1982.

FBI agents tracked him to a New Orleans hotel on the eve of the finale of "The Jinx," HBO's six-part documentary about Durst, his wife's disappearance, Berman's death and the death and dismemberment of Durst's neighbour Morris Black in 2001. Durst was formally arrested early on the day of the broadcast, before viewers saw him in a washroom, still wearing a live microphone and muttering, "There it is. You're caught! What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course."

The previous felony that is part of Durst's plea was a 2004 plea in Pennsylvania to possessing a weapon both while under indictment for Black's death and doing so while a fugitive on the murder charge.

He ultimately testified that he killed Black in self-defence, and was acquitted of murder.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Death toll climbs to nine as Typhoon Hato moves through China

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - The death toll from Typhoon Hato has risen to at least nine as the most powerful storm to hit the southern China region around Hong Kong in more than half a century barrelled west Thursday and was losing strength. Source
  • Lucky numbers for US$700M Powerball jackpot drawn

    World News CTV News
    DES MOINES, Iowa - Lottery players across the U.S. scooped up $2 Powerball tickets in hopes of beating the odds and winning a massive $700 million jackpot in Wednesday night's drawing. Some details about the game and the giant prize: Source
  • Pearson ground crew strike continues after union votes 98% against Swissport contract offer

    Canada News CBC News
    The union representing some 700 baggage handlers, cabin cleaners and other ground crew has voted overwhelmingly against a contract offer by Swissport, meaning workers won't be ending their work stoppage, which has gone on four weeks already. Source
  • Arsenic poisoning a risk for 50M in Pakistan: study

    Canada News CTV News
    ISLAMABAD -- Some 50 million people are at risk of arsenic poisoning from contaminated groundwater in Pakistan's Indus Valley -- far more than previously thought, according to a new study. Pakistan is aware of the growing problem, with arsenic levels rising in some areas as people increasingly and indiscriminately draw from the country's underground aquifers, said Lubna Bukhari, who heads the government's Council for Research in Water Resources. Source
  • 'I'm a f------ Nazi,' said a Manitoba man to a woman asking for directions

    Canada News CBC News
    A Calgary woman who came to visit her family in Manitoba this summer says she was shocked by the racist verbal attack she endured when she asked a stranger for directions. In an exchange Calgary teacher Kaniz Fatima captured on video, a man who described himself as a "Nazi" told her to take off her "head towel off" because it "supports Muslims. Source
  • U.S. won't stand by as Venezuela crumbles, VP Pence says

    World News CBC News
    U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence addressed a sympathetic crowd of Venezuelans in South Florida and pledged the U.S. will use its economic and diplomatic power to push for free elections. Pence spoke at a church in the city of Doral, the exile enclave, to a crowd of about 300. Source
  • Baby found dead in car parked in P&G employee lot in Ohio

    World News Toronto Sun
    MASON, Ohio — A baby girl has been found dead in a car parked in a Procter & Gamble employee parking lot in Ohio. The chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner’s Office says the 15-month-old was found around 5 p.m. Source
  • Baby dies after mother leaves her in vehicle outside workplace

    World News CTV News
    MASON, Ohio -- A baby girl who was found dead in a car parked in a Procter & Gamble employee parking lot in Ohio was left there by her mother while she was at work, authorities said Wednesday night. Source
  • Accused Yahoo hacker pleads not guilty in U.S. court, lawyer says

    Canada News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO -- A lawyer of a Canadian man accused in a massive hack of Yahoo emails says his client has pleaded not guilty to all charges against him in a San Francisco courtroom on Wednesday. Source
  • Alleged Yahoo hacker Karim Baratov pleads not guilty in San Fran court

    World News Toronto Sun
    Alleged Yahoo hacker Karim Baratov pleaded not guilty to all charges Wednesday in a San Francisco courtroom, according to multiple reports. The 22-year-old Kazakhstan-born Canadian from Ancaster, Ont., is facing 11 charges in the United States, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit computer fraud and abuse. Source