UN envoy announces 'temporary pause' to Syria peace talks

GENEVA -- The UN envoy for Syria on Wednesday announced a "temporary pause" in peace talks in Geneva just two days after they officially began amid intensified fighting, saying the process will resume later this month.

See Full Article

Speaking to reporters after a meeting with opposition leaders, Staffan de Mistura insisted "this is not the end, and it is not the failure of the talks."

De Mistura said both sides were "interested in having the political process started," and that he had set a new date of Feb. 25 for the resumption of the talks.

The announcement comes just two days after de Mistura opened the first talks in two years aimed at ending a five-year war that has killed more than 250,000 people and displaced an estimated 11 million.

Syrian forces backed by Russian airstrikes have advanced in northern Syria in recent days, leading the opposition to accuse Damascus of negotiating in bad faith.

On Wednesday, the troops blasted their way into two Shiite villages in northern Syria, breaking a long-running rebel siege during a major offensive, Syrian TV reported.

The two villages, Nubl and Zahra, are located in the middle of opposition territory. They have been blockaded by rebel groups for around three years, with the army occasionally airdropping food and other aid.

Their capture would mark a major victory for government forces, which have made significant advances in Aleppo province in the past few days, severing a key supply route linking rebels in Aleppo city to the Turkish border.

Pro-government forces are continuing an offensive north of Aleppo, Syria's largest city, in an attempt to besiege rebel-held neighbourhoods. If the government succeeds, it will be one of the biggest blows to the insurgents since they captured large parts of the city in the summer of 2012.

The Aleppo advances cast a further shadow over the talks.

Basma Kodmani, a member of the opposition's negotiating team, described the offensive as a "horrible development," saying it sends the message that "there is nothing to negotiate. Just go home."

Syrian TV said the siege of Nubl and Zahra was broken by the army and Shiite militias known as the Popular Defence Committees. The Hezbollah-owned Al-Manar TV also reported the advance and showed exclusive footage of the fighting on the outskirts of the villages.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition group that monitors the conflict through activists on the ground, said the Syrian army was one kilometre (mile) away from the two villages.

Meanwhile, an aid convoy headed to a besieged rebel-held town near Damascus, but Syria's opposition said that such deliveries are meaningless given the situation in Aleppo.

The convoy heading to Moadamiyeh is the second aid delivery to rebel-held areas near the capital in as many days, a spokesman for the International Committee for the Red Cross said. Pawel Krzysiek told The Associated Press that 12 trucks carrying food, medicine and medical equipment were expected to arrive later in the day.

By late afternoon, Krzysiek said the convoy is "about to enter." He posted a photograph on his Twitter account showing hundreds of people gathered at a distance waiting for the supplies to reach them.

The humanitarian situation in the town worsened toward the end of last year after the government choked off the last access point. Opposition activists and residents say there are dozens of cases of severe malnutrition in Moadamiyeh.

The aid delivery appears to be a confidence-building gesture on the part of the government the Geneva talks got off to a rocky start.

The Syrian opposition had demanded that aid be allowed into 18 besieged areas throughout the country and that Syrian and Russian forces halt the bombardment of rebel-held areas ahead of the talks, which officially began Monday.

Kodmani called the latest aid delivery a "positive development," but said "it is way below what we are hoping to see happen."

On Wednesday afternoon, Riad Hijab -- a former Syrian prime minister who now heads the High Negotiations Committee, the largest opposition bloc -- arrived in Geneva to be closer to the talks.

Shortly after he arrived, de Mistura arrived at the hotel where the opposition is staying and went into a meeting with them.

Syrian opposition figure George Sabra told AP earlier in the day that after Hijab's arrival the opposition will hold meetings on whether to drop out of the indirect peace talks.

"We should take a decision in the coming two days," Sabra said.

De Mistura has shuttled between the government and opposition delegations in Geneva. On Monday, he formally declared the start of what he calls "proximity talks" between the two sides, which would have the two delegations seated in separate rooms.

The talks are aimed at ending a war that has killed 250,000 people, displaced millions and left much of the country in ruins. The last round of talks broke down in 2014.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Lightning sparks fires across southeastern B.C.

    Canada News CTV News
    CASTLEGAR, B.C. -- Lightning storms across southeastern British Columbia have sparked numerous wildfires. BC Wildfire Service personnel are at two separate fires burning just a few kilometres on either side of the village of Nakusp. Source
  • Scientists may have discovered a mysterious Mars-sized planet

    World News Toronto Sun
    A mysterious celestial body may be lurking in the frozen, far-flung reaches of the solar system, scientists say. This is not the proposed "Planet Nine," a ginormous body that Caltech scientists believe could be tugging at the orbits of the solar system's most distant inhabitants. Source
  • 3 Chicago police officers indicted in Laquan McDonald case

    World News CTV News
    CHICAGO -- Three Chicago police officers were indicted Tuesday on felony charges that they conspired to cover up the actions of a white police officer who shot and killed 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, saying the officers lied when they alleged the teenager "aggressively" swung a knife at officers and attempted to get up from the ground still armed with the knife after he was shot. Source
  • U.S. woman jailed for giving woman in labour heroin

    World News CTV News
    FILE - This booking photo released Wednesday, March 8, 2017, by the Concord, N.H., Police Department shows Felicia Farruggia, arrested about six months after she had demanded to be injected with heroin and methamphetamine while in labor with her son in September 2016. Source
  • New cyberattack causes mass disruption in Europe, slowly moves into U.S. [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    PARIS — A new and highly virulent outbreak of malicious data-scrambling software appears to be causing mass disruption across Europe, hitting Ukraine especially hard. Company and government officials reported serious intrusions at the Ukrainian power grid, banks and government offices, where one senior official posted a photo of a darkened computer screen and the words, “the whole network is down. Source
  • Ontario spending $85M to clean up mercury in First Nations

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Ontario is spending an additional $85 million to clean up a mercury-contaminated river that has plagued two First Nation communities for half a century. Environment Minister Glen Murray says the funds for the remediation of the English-Wabigoon River system in northwestern Ontario will be used to design and implement the cleanup, and for long-term monitoring. Source
  • 'Did he find it in a Cracker Jack (box), or what?'; Trudeau blasted for suggesting Harper left him with $18B deficit

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau insisted Tuesday that his Liberal government has been keeping its promise to be fiscally responsible and blamed the previous Conservative administration for being at least partly responsible for higher-than-expected deficits. But at least one Tory MP says the PM's math is "all wrong. Source
  • Manhunt in Manitoba for man who fled traffic stop, believed to have gun

    Canada News CTV News
    PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Man. -- Police in central Manitoba are on the lookout for a suspect who fled a traffic stop and they believe may be armed with a rifle. Schools in Portage la Prairie have been locked down and residents have been told to stay indoors while officers hunt for the person. Source
  • Dad collapses after border-guard daughter gets 11 years for letting 182 kg of cocaine into country

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — Border guard Stefanie McClelland has received an 11-year sentence for letting 182 kilograms of cocaine across the Champlain—St-Bernard-de-Lacolle border. The father of the 40-year-old Canada Border Services Agency officer collapsed in the courtroom at the St-Jean-sur-Richelieu courthouse after Superior Court Justice Andre Vincent read his decision on Tuesday. Source
  • GOP delays vote on Senate version of health-care bill [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — In a bruising setback, U.S. Senate Republican leaders shelved a vote on their prized health-care bill Tuesday until at least next month, forced to retreat by a GOP rebellion that left them lacking enough votes to even begin debate. Source