French government wants to extend the state of emergency

PARIS -- France's government is calling for a three-month extension of the state of emergency that was declared after the Nov.

See Full Article

13 deadly attacks in Paris, a move criticized by human right groups as damaging democracy.

The measure proposed Wednesday in a Cabinet meeting now requires parliament's approval.

"The terrorist threat is still extremely high" in France and Europe, government spokesman Stephane Le Foll said Wednesday. "The state of emergency is necessary. It has been useful and must continue to be. "

The state of emergency has already been extended once and was scheduled to end on Feb. 26. It expands police powers to carry out arrests and searches and allows authorities to forbid the movement of persons and vehicles at specific times and places.

In a written statement, President Francois Hollande said a three-month extension is justified by the need to face the "terrorist threat."

Another government bill also presented Wednesday would allow officers to use their weapons to "neutralize someone who has just committed one or several murders and is likely to repeat these crimes."

Currently, self-defence is the only legal justification for shooting someone. The proposed change would, for instance, permit police to shoot a gunman who has fired at civilians and is likely to do it again in a very short period of time.

The proposals would also make it easier for police to carry out raids at night, and searches of luggage and vehicles near "sensitive" sites and buildings.

In total 3289 police raids have been carried out under the state of emergency that led to 571 judicial investigations -- mostly for drugs or possession of unauthorized weapons.

Several human rights groups are opposed to the extension of the state of emergency. Thousands people marched in Paris Saturday to protest it.

Amnesty International stressed that "the state of emergency cannot be a permanent solution without undermining fundamental freedoms".

"We must not give up on our rights and freedom", France's Human Rights League said in a written statement.

France's top administrative court last week upheld the current state of emergency, rejecting a request by the Human Rights League.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 5 things the federal government is doing about the influx of border crossers

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Nearly 7,000 people have crossed illegally into Canada in the last six weeks, most intent on filing for refugee status. The surge this summer caps seven months of near-steady increases in the number of people entering into Canada between official border crossings to seek asylum. Source
  • Terror threat leads to cancellation of Allah-Las show in Rotterdam

    World News CTV News
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A rock music venue in the Dutch port city of Rotterdam says it has cancelled a concert by American group Allah-Las because of a "terror threat." Concert organizer Rotown said on Twitter that Wednesday night's concert at the Maassilo venue was cancelled on orders of police. Source
  • High school football coach fired for praying after games loses appeal

    World News Toronto Sun
    SEATTLE — A Washington state high school football coach took advantage of his position when he prayed on the field after games, and he’s not entitled to immediately get his job back, a federal appeals court said Wednesday. Source
  • Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale meets with Cornwall officials about asylum seekers

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    CORNWALL, ONT. - Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale was in Cornwall on Wednesday morning to meet with the city council and tour Nav Centre where hundreds of Haitian asylum seekers are being housed by the federal government. Source
  • Mayor, councillors, assured about migrants after meeting Goodale

    Canada News CTV News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is joined by Laura Albanese (left), Ontario Minister of Citizenship, Kathleen Weil, Quebec Minister of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusiveness, and Ahmed Hussen, right, Federal Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, in a meeting of the Intergovernmental Task Force on Irregular Migration, Wednesday, August 23, 2017 in Montreal. Source
  • Five-hour days, vacation cash among work perks at B.C. tech companies

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER — From vacation cash to luxury cars, some technology companies in British Columbia are offering big perks to woo prospective employees. Multinationals like Amazon and Microsoft have opened offices in Vancouver, while homegrown startups like Hootsuite have gained international acclaim in recent years. Source
  • Singer k.d. lang invites Jason Kenney to Calgary Pride after UCP rejection but says he's busy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    CALGARY — Alberta crooner k.d. lang has invited Jason Kenney to Calgary’s Pride festivities — but it appears he won’t be attending. The country singer took to Twitter on Tuesday to offer Kenney — a leadership candidate for the province’s new United Conservative Party — free tickets to a concert if he’d sit down and discuss LGBTQ rights with her. Source
  • Cross-burning victims to priest: Apology is not enough

    World News CTV News
    In this May 3, 1982 file photo, President Ronald Reagan and first lady Nancy Reagan walk with Barbara and Phillip Butler and their daughter Natasha, outside the family's home in College Park, Md., May 3, 1982. (AP Photo / Barry Thumma, File) Source
  • 'Pride of Russia:' Russian art community turns out to support detained director

    World News CBC News
    To a full house and rapturous applause more suited to one of his sold-out productions, Russian theatre and film director Kirill Serebrennikov appeared in court Wednesday and was placed under house arrest pending an investigation into charges that he embezzled government funds allocated for one of his projects. Source
  • Windsor hospital increases security after stabbing in hospital by a patient

    Canada News CTV News
    WINDSOR, Ont. -- A Windsor, Ont., hospital is increasing security after one mental health patient stabbed another, but the facility says it is trying to strike a balance between safety and patients' rehabilitation needs. David Musyj, CEO of Windsor Regional Hospital, said a 17-year-old male patient stabbed a 26-year-old female patient as he returned from a day-pass visit with his family over the weekend. Source