Occupied refuge 'belongs to the people', Oregon militia leader says

PORTLAND, Ore. - The leader of an armed group that took over an Oregon wildlife preserve to protest federal land policies is remaining defiant behind bars.

See Full Article

While Ammon Bundy on Tuesday again urged four holdouts at the refuge to leave, he said local residents should control the federally owned property and U.S. officials do not belong there.

Bundy said the FBI and Oregon State Police surrounding Malheur National Wildlife Refuge are leading an “armed occupation,” words typically reserved for the ranchers and others that launched the standoff on Jan. 2. He said the refuge “belongs to the people,” according to a statement read by his attorney.

“I am requesting that the remaining protesters go home now so their lives are not taken,” Bundy's statement said.

He is among 11 people arrested in connection with the standoff, whose adherents have called federal land restrictions burdensome and demanded the government turn over public lands to local control. Many were taken into custody during a traffic stop last week that left one occupier dead.

All face a felony conspiracy charge of using intimidation to prevent federal employees from their work. Bundy will stay behind bars while his attorneys build their case that the standoff was intended as a “peaceful protest and civil disobedience.” A federal judge has allowed a couple of others to go free pending trial.

Another court hearing in the case is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

Meanwhile, the handful of remaining occupiers offered no signs they are ready to leave. They gave an interview Monday on an online talk show on a YouTube channel called Revolution Radio.

“We're still here,” said David Fry, adding that the four hope sympathizers will come out to back them up. “We need the American people to get the courage to stand up.”

Bundy pleaded for them to go home and aligned with his father, Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, on demanding federal and state authorities clear out of the area.

The elder Bundy, who was involved in a high-profile 2014 standoff with the government over grazing rights, sent a certified letter to the local sheriff Monday, saying the refuge should be placed under local control.

Unlike his son, Cliven Bundy has not called for the last occupiers to leave.

The Oregonian reported the Rev. Franklin Graham had spoken with the remaining occupiers.

Graham spokesman Todd Shearer told the newspaper that the religious leader had communicated by phone with the four occupiers and federal officials but Graham had “no comment” beyond that.

The last four occupiers had asked Graham to help them negotiate their departure. They have said they want assurances they won't be arrested.

Federal prosecutors are building a case against Ammon Bundy and his followers to show that the occupation was a threat to residents and federal employees. Prosecutors say the group, once numbering a couple dozen, was ready to use violence to hold on to the refuge.

The standoff also has created divisions among residents that will take time to heal. Many locals want the occupation to end and are eager to get on with their lives. But others sympathize with Bundy's complaints, which are part of a long-running dispute over federal management of public lands in the West.

Some have rallied in support and opposition to the standoff, the latter often citing the death of an Arizona rancher by police. Robert “LaVoy” Finicum was killed Jan. 26 during a confrontation with FBI agents and Oregon State Police on a remote road.

Federal authorities have released aerial video and said Finicum was going for a gun in his jacket pocket. Bundy's relatives say the shooting was not justified.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Massive fire tears through 5-storey NYC apartment [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Fire officials say an overnight blaze that tore through a five-storey apartment building in Manhattan has left one person dead and 12 civilians and firefighters injured. The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. Thursday in a building on East 93rd Street in the Yorkville neighbourhood on the Upper East Side. Source
  • Cops: Man accused of sex assault had black book of 'sexual desires'

    World News Toronto Sun
    MADISON, Wis. — Dozens of women have reported encounters with a University of Wisconsin student charged with sexually assaulting an acquaintance, and officers found a black book at the man’s apartment listing women he’d met and documenting his “sexual desires,” authorities said. Source
  • Weather Network: ’Eerily calm’ weather for Halloween night

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — Trick-or-treaters across the country are in for some “eerily calm” weather this Halloween. The Weather Network has released its forecast for Oct. 31 and says those who plan to venture out in their costumes on Monday can expect seasonally cool but relatively stable weather. Source
  • Nova Scotia pair plead guilty to gruesome murder of young mother

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    HALIFAX - WARNING: This story contains graphic details Two people have admitted to the killing and horrific dismemberment of a young Halifax mother in 2014. Jason James Johnson and Kelly Amanda MacDonald, who are both in their 30s and lived in Lawrencetown, N.S. Source
  • Halifax's noon boom: A 'startling' jolt of tradition since the 1800s

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Almost every day, exactly at noon, Alec Stratford is jolted by a thunderous boom that reverberates through his office, the intense blast so loud it rattles the plate-glass windows. Stratford, who has worked in Halifax for six months, is still getting used to one of the city's oldest, most raucous traditions: the firing of the noon gun at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site. Source
  • 90 migrants dead after boat disintegrates in Mediterranean

    World News CBC News
    At least 90 migrants perished when the rickety boat they were travelling in started to fall apart in the Mediterranean Sea, after leaving the Libyan coast, the Libyan navy said Thursday. The rubber boat tore and began filling with water about 42 kilometres off the Libyan coast, an area considered to be international waters, said navy spokesman, Ayoub Gassim. Source
  • Supreme Court to rule on whether residential school documents can be destroyed

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The Supreme Court of Canada will decide whether painful, personal accounts from the survivors of residential schools should be destroyed or permanently archived for posterity. The survivors' stories were used by the independent assessment process, which handled compensation claims under the 2006 Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement. Source
  • Searchers scour Stanley Park for signs of baby boy's mother

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The search for a young Metro Vancouver mother is expected to ramp up in Vancouver's Stanley Park. Thirty-two-year-old Florence Leung has been missing since Tuesday when she was last seen driving away from her New Westminster home. Source
  • Man with maggot-filled foot wounds dies, caregiver charged

    World News Toronto Sun
    HARRISBURG, Pa. — A former Pennsylvania caregiver has been charged with homicide after authorities say she failed to properly treat a man with a congenital defect who died after his foot wounds became severely infected and filled with maggots. Source
  • Oregon surfer punched shark in gills to survive [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    PORTLAND, Ore. — Joseph Tanner was resting his arms on his surf board, his lower body dangling in the water, when something grabbed his right leg and yanked him under the waves. In an instant, Tanner knew he was being attacked by a shark in the chilly waters off the northern Oregon coast and he wondered if he would die, he recalled Wednesday, nearly three weeks after the Oct. Source