Chef who died in apparent suicide had worried his success would not last

PARIS - Benoit Violier, the chef of the "world's best restaurant" whose apparent suicide has shocked the gastronomic world, worried that his success would not last, reports said Tuesday.

See Full Article

In his last interview given only four days before he was found dead with his hunting rifle by his side at his home near Lausanne in Switzerland, Violier appeared in good spirits.

But he told the French daily Liberation in an interview published Tuesday that having three Michelin stars and being named as the best in the world in December by the La Liste classification did not matter to him.

"It's all about clients coming back," he said.

"I hope that it lasts. With 54 employees you have only three months grace," he said, referring to the waiting list for a table at his Restaurant de l'Hotel de Ville in the village of Crissier.

"You have always to remain concentrated...

"You know people don't come here for the sea views," Violier joked, referring to his restaurant's less than glamorous setting in a semi-industrial zone near a motorway exit.

He claimed to have never heard of the La Liste, set up by the French department of foreign affairs as a counterweight to the British-based World's 50 Best Restaurants guide, until AFP contacted him to tell him he that was top of their ranking.

"I didn't want to go to the prize-giving ceremony, I had planned to change my identity card that day," he told the daily.

The 44-year-old chef, whose life-long passion for hunting had led him write a 1,000-page encyclopaedia of European game birds, said he was even considering putting his rifle away and taking up photography.

Violier, who had a 12-year-old son, and ran the restaurant with his wife, Brigitte, said he was also toying with idea of teaching cookery.

"The starification of our profession has gone too far. Television has made kids believe that in three months you can be a star. But to be a cook its takes a whole life," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Finnish police: Stabbing investigated as possible terrorism

    World News CTV News
    HELSINKI -- A suspect detained for allegedly stabbing two people to death in a knife attack in the western Finnish city of Turku is being investigated for murder with possible terrorist intent, police said Saturday. Source
  • Hundreds missing in Sierra Leone mudslides likely dead

    World News CTV News
    FREETOWN, Sierra Leone - Survivors picking through the debris of Sierra Leone's deadly mudslides are facing the reality that most, if not all, of the estimated 600 people missing are dead. The death toll is already above 450 from the flooding and mudslides in the capital, Freetown, early Monday. Source
  • 7 wounded in Siberia stabbing attack

    World News CBC News
    A knife-wielding man went on a stabbing rampage in a Siberian city on Saturday, wounding seven people before police shot and killed him. A statement from Russia's Investigative Committee said the mid-day attack on a central street in Surgut said the suspect had been identified as a local resident in his early 20s. Source
  • Police separate some 500 neo-Nazis, opponents at Berlin demo

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN - Some 500 far-right extremists are staging a march in Berlin in honour of the 30th anniversary of the death of top Nazi Rudolf Hess. About 500 counter-demonstrators gathered nearby the Saturday parade in the Spandau district, separated by hundreds of heavily armoured police. Source
  • Boston, cradle of U.S. liberty, braces for spirited protests

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON - Conservative activists and leftist counterprotesters are preparing for a showdown on Boston Common that could draw thousands a week after a demonstration in Virginia turned deadly. Police say they'll be out in force to keep the two groups apart. Source
  • Spain, France press manhunt for ringleader in dual attacks

    World News CTV News
    BARCELONA, Spain -- Authorities in Spain and France pressed the search Saturday for the supposed ringleader of an Islamic extremist cell that carried out vehicle attacks in Barcelona and a seaside resort, as the investigation focused on links among the Moroccan members and the house where they plotted the carnage. Source
  • Finland stabbing suspect an 18-year-old Moroccan citizen, attack stabbing investigated as possible terrorism

    World News CBC News
    A suspect detained for allegedly stabbing two people to death in a knife attack in the western Finnish city of Turku is being investigated for murder with possible terrorist intent, police said Saturday. The dead from the apparent indiscriminate attack on Friday are Finnish citizens, while the eight wounded include one Italian national and two Swedes, the National Bureau of Investigation said in a statement. Source
  • 'We think the attacker was going after women:' Asylum-seeker in Finland under police guard after stabbing

    World News CBC News
    A suspect detained for allegedly stabbing two people to death in a knife attack in the western Finnish city of Turku is being investigated for murder with possible terrorist intent, police said Saturday. The dead from the apparent indiscriminate attack on Friday are Finnish citizens, while the eight wounded include one Italian national and two Swedes, the National Bureau of Investigation said in a statement. Source
  • Nigeria says ailing president to return today after 3 months

    World News CBC News
    Nigeria's government says President Muhammadu Buhari will return to the country today after more than three months in London for medical treatment. A statement Saturday from the office of the presidency says Buhari will address the nation in a broadcast Monday morning. Source
  • 'It was a bad day': Canadian POWs recall disastrous Dieppe raid 75 years later

    Canada News CBC News
    At the age of 21, Paul Delorme was a Canadian soldier like most others — until the day he found himself in a rank never now assigned to Canadian soldiers: prisoner of war. Source