Nations meet to discuss how to rid Libya of Islamic State militants

ROME - Nations fighting the Islamic State discussed Tuesday how to prevent the extremist group from gaining a stranglehold in resource-rich Libya, though no one appeared resolved just yet to launch a second military intervention in the North African country this decade.

See Full Article

Speaking at a 23-nation conference in Rome, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the last thing anyone wants "is a false caliphate with access to billions of dollars in oil revenue." He said the U.S. and its European and Arab partners should increase security training and help Libya's military "not just to clear territory, but to create a safe environment for the government to stand up and operate."

More than four years after a U.S.-led military effort helped topple dictator Moammar Gadhafi, Libya is mired in chaos. Since 2014, it has been split between two rival authorities. A new unity government still doesn't have parliamentary approval.

Amid the chaos, an Islamic State affiliate has carved out territory in the centre of the country and fighters, wearied by coalition air strikes in Iraq and Syria, are flocking to the new front.

Last week, U.S. Defence Secretary Ash Carter warned that IS militants were trying to "consolidate their own footprint" in Libya by setting up training sites, drawing in foreign recruits and using the levers of economic power to raise money through taxes. The U.S. won't allow the group to "sink roots" in Libya, he said, but provided no indication of any U.S. military campaign was imminent.

European countries, too, are weighing options.

Italy, whose southernmost territory is less than 300 miles from Libya, has indicated it would participate in a UN-authorized peacekeeping or stabilization mission. It has moved aircraft to a base in Sicily, but insists that any action first requires a stable Libyan government and other international assistance. The instability has led to hundreds of thousands of migrants using Libya-based smugglers to reach Italy.

"We cannot imagine spring passing with the situation in Libya still stalled," Defence Minister Roberta Pinotti told Italy's Corriere della Sera paper last week. Britain and France also are considering military possibilities, with similar caveats.

A senior U.S. official attending the talks stressed that "when we see a threat to the United States or external plotting, we will not hesitate to act upon that threat." He cited a November airstrike that that killed Abu Nabil, a top Islamic State leader in Libya.

But any broader campaign would require talks with coalition partners and the Libyans, said the official, who briefed reporters on the discussions on condition he not be quoted by name. He said President Barack Obama convened a National Security Council meeting last week "focused on the Libya question."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Rohingya continue fleeing to Bangladesh despite repatriation deal

    World News CTV News
    DHAKA, Bangladesh - Rohingya refugees are continuing to flee from Myanmar into Bangladesh, even after the two countries said they will begin repatriating members of the minority ethnic group next week, a Bangladesh official said Friday. Source
  • Lac-Megantic jury to deliberate today for ninth consecutive day

    Canada News CTV News
    SHERBROOKE, Que. - Jurors will deliberate for a ninth consecutive day today at the trial of three men charged with criminal negligence causing death in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster. There was no news again from the 12 jurors on Thursday. Source
  • Man charged in presumed deaths of 2 Toronto men set to appear in court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - A man charged with first-degree murder in the presumed deaths of two men who vanished from Toronto's gay village last year is set to appear in court today. Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old Toronto man, was arrested and charged yesterday as part of an investigation into the disappearance of Selim Esen and Andrew Kinsman. Source
  • Toronto shooting leaves 2 men dead, 2 more with life-threatening injuries

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - An overnight shooting in Toronto has left two men dead and two others in hospital with life-threatening injuries. Toronto police say the four men, all reportedly in their 20s, were found in a car at about 1 a.m. Source
  • California couple's abuse of kids became torture, prosecutor says

    World News CTV News
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. - They were starved and shackled to their beds, sometimes for months. They were beaten and choked. They were given scant medical care, often denied use of a toilet and allowed to shower but once a year. Source
  • California couple's abuse of kids became torture: prosecutor

    World News CTV News
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. - They were starved and shackled to their beds, sometimes for months. They were beaten and choked. They were given scant medical care, often denied use of a toilet and allowed to shower but once a year. Source
  • Authorities amputate hand of convicted thief in Iran

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A semi-official news agency is reporting that authorities in Iran have amputated the hand of a convicted thief in a prison in the country's northeast. The report from the ISNA news agency says one hand of the 34-year-old convict identified only as Ali was cut off by "guillotine" in a prison in Mashhad, some 900 kilometres (550 miles) northeast of the capital Tehran. Source
  • U.S. Congress likely racing toward a government shutdown

    World News CBC News
    A bitterly divided Congress hurtled toward a government shutdown this weekend in a partisan staredown over demands by Democrats for a solution on politically fraught legislation to protect about 700,000 younger immigrants from being deported. Democrats in the Senate have served notice they will filibuster a four-week, government-wide funding bill that passed the House Thursday evening, seeking to shape a subsequent measure but exposing themselves to charges they are responsible for a looming…
  • Australian prostitute convicted for infecting man with HIV

    World News CTV News
    PERTH, Australia - An Australian jury on Friday convicted a transgender prostitute of causing grievous bodily harm by knowingly infecting a client with HIV. Clayton James Palmer, who identifies as a woman and now goes by the name C.J. Source
  • Atlanta police: Someone stole a car, dumped 2 girls on roadways

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA - Authorities are looking for someone they say stole an SUV with two children inside and left them on major roadways. Clayton County police Sgt. Ashanti Marbury tells news outlets that 1-month-old Ava Wilmer and 4-year-old Arya Davenport were found after their mother's vehicle was stolen from a QuikTrip. Source