Hearing scheduled for Oregon standoff leader as he looks to leave jail

PORTLAND, Ore. - A federal judge is expected to consider whether the leader of an armed occupation of a national wildlife refuge should remain in jail, even as the standoff that began a month ago continues to roil a rural community in eastern Oregon.

See Full Article

Lawyers for Ammon Bundy say he should be let go with a GPS monitoring device and with orders that the Idaho resident should not leave the state except for court appearances. Mike Arnold and Lissa Casey said in documents filed Sunday that government prosecutors failed to provide "clear and convincing evidence" those steps would not suffice.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie Beckerman said last week that Bundy, 40, presents a danger to the community and he might fail to return for future court proceedings. Beckerman said Bundy repeatedly ignored federal demands to leave the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and she had little confidence he would comply with orders to show up in court.

U.S. District Court Judge Michael W. Mosman is expected to consider the matter Tuesday, when he also weighs the government's challenge to the potential release of another member of the armed group, Joseph O'Shaughnessy.

Bundy and O'Shaughnessy are among 11 people arrested in connection with the standoff that began Jan. 2, when the group called federal land restrictions burdensome and demanded the government turn over public lands to local control. Only one, Shawna Cox, has left jail.

Bundy was arrested Jan. 26 during a traffic stop, where police shot and killed Arizona rancher Robert "LaVoy" Finicum during a confrontation.

Four people remain at the refuge, surrounded by authorities. On Monday hundreds of people gathered outside the courthouse in Burns, Oregon, both to protest and support the armed occupation.

People upset over Finicum's killing held signs and chanted at the Harney County Courthouse. They want federal officials to leave the area.

Another large group staged a rally at the courthouse in support of law enforcement and government officials. They too held signs and shouted, "Stand down, leave our town."

Since his arrest, Bundy has repeatedly urged the four people remaining at the refuge to go home. However on Monday Bundy's father, Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, sent a certified letter to the Harney County sheriff saying all federal and state police should be removed from Harney County and that the refuge should be placed under local control.

Cliven Bundy was involved in a high-profile 2014 standoff with the government over grazing rights.

The holdouts at the Oregon refuge include David Fry, who has posted updates to the YouTube channel "DefendYourBase," which the group has used frequently to release information. Fry has said the four want assurances they won't be arrested and demand pardons for everyone involved.

Bundy's attorney has said Bundy didn't recognize Fry's name and that he wasn't a core member of the group. The other holdouts are Jeff Banta and married couple Sandy Anderson and Sean Anderson.

Those already arrested face a felony conspiracy charge of using intimidation to prevent federal employees from their work at the refuge.

Bundy told the judge Friday that he loves the United States and believes government plays an important role, particularly in providing national security. He said he respected the judge's authority and would be back for all court proceedings.

Beckerman said Bundy and other occupiers made threatening comments during the standoff, and she was concerned he might take over another government building if released.

She ruled that Cox could leave jail - with GPS monitoring - but only after the remaining occupiers leave the refuge. Cox's public defender, Tiffany Harris, opposed that stipulation, and the Utah woman was released from jail shortly before midnight Friday.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Girl's actions caused her to fall from NY park ride, police say

    World News CTV News
    QUEENSBURY, N.Y. -- As authorities tried to determine exactly how a 14-year-old Delaware girl managed to fall from a New York amusement park ride, one industry expert said even the strictest safety guidelines won't prevent accidents if customers don't follow the rules. Source
  • Professor who backed black-only Memorial Day celebration on Fox News fired by Essex County College

    World News Toronto Sun
    A mouthy college professor who was fired last week after making a litany of outrageous statements on live TV compared her removal from Essex County College to a “public lynching.” Lisa Durden, a former communications professor at the New Jersey-based institution, was dismissed following a controversial appearance on Fox News' Tucker Carlson Tonight. Source
  • Donald Trump: SCOTUS' travel ban decision 'clear victory' for national security

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court of the United States is letting a limited version of President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from six mostly Muslim countries take effect, a victory for Trump in the biggest legal controversy of his young presidency. Source
  • Salvador Dali’s bones to be exhumed for paternity test

    World News Toronto Sun
    MADRID — A Spanish judge has ordered the remains of artist Salvador Dali to be exhumed following a paternity suit by a woman. Dali, considered one of the fathers of surrealist art, died in 1989 and is buried in his museum in the northeastern town of Figueres. Source
  • Canada and China sign no-hacking agreement to protect trade secrets

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada and China have agreed not to engage in state-sponsored hacking of each other's trade secrets and business information. The two countries reached the agreement during a meeting last week that was part of their new high-level national security dialogue. Source
  • Police in Taber, Alta., treat burning of Pride flag as an arson case

    Canada News CTV News
    TABER, Alta. -- Police in a small southern Alberta town are treating the burning of a rainbow Pride flag as an arson case. Taber Police Chief Graham Abela says someone used fuel to light a flag pole on fire Saturday and the flames spread to the flag. Source
  • Live blog: Final arguments in Saretzky triple murder trial

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT Crown and defence lawyers are making their arguments in the murder trial of a man accused of killing a father, a little girl and a senior. Jurors at the trial of Derek Saretzky have heard weeks of evidence in the deaths of two-year-old Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette, her father Terry Blanchette, who was 27, and 69-year-old Hanne Meketech in September 2015. Source
  • 'Before tragedy strikes': Liberals launch centre to prevent home-grown terrorism

    Canada News CBC News
    The federal government has launched a new centre tasked with preventing the radicalization of Canadian young people. A special adviser will be named in coming months to oversee the local outreach and research projects funded through the Canada Centre for Community Engagement and Prevention of Violence. Source
  • Cladding manufacturer to stop production of some panels after Grenfell fire

    World News CBC News
    Cladding maker Arconic says it is discontinuing global sales of one type of composite paneling for high-rise buildings in the wake of the devastating fire that killed 79 people at Grenfell Tower. Arconic says in a statement Monday that Reynobond PE would no longer be sold for use in high-rise buildings. Source
  • Canadian woman first to lead Changing of the Guard ceremony

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — A Canadian soldier has made history as the first woman to lead the Changing of the Guard ceremony at London’s Buckingham Palace. Megan Couto led her unit as it changed Queen Elizabeth II’s guards on Monday. Source