Afghan Taliban open new front with attacks on media

KABUL - The Taliban suicide bombing against a bus carrying employees of Afghanistan's biggest media company last month has shocked local journalists, who fear they are now in the cross hairs of an increasingly lethal insurgency.

See Full Article

Journalism has always been a dangerous line of work in Afghanistan, and reporters have long had to contend with threats and occasional attacks by various armed groups. But after Tolo TV, the most popular Afghan broadcaster, falsely accused the Taliban of mass rape in a report carried late last year, the insurgents declared war.

"We saw in late 2015 a statement from the very highest levels of the Taliban staking out a very clear position that they are going to be deliberately targeting as 'military objectives' two of Afghanistan's largest TV networks," said Ahmad Shuja, a researcher with the New York-based Human Rights Watch.

Calling it "a watershed moment," he said the Taliban now equate attacks on media with "any other military operations they've done and taken credit for - and the implications are chilling."

In the Jan. 20 attack, a suicide bomber struck a bus belonging to the Moby Group, Tolo's owner, killing seven people and wounding at least 25. The Taliban claimed responsibility, calling Tolo a tool of decadent Western influence and warning that other media outlets could be next.

The Taliban were angered by a Tolo report last year alleging that the insurgents had raped female university students during their brief occupation of the northern city of Kunduz. The station has acknowledged the allegations were false and said it clarified the report, but the Taliban have shown no sign of backing down.

"The Taliban came to the conclusion that media have become an obstacle against their war strategies, and they would have (attacked) it anyway," said Najib Sharifi, director of the Afghan Journalists' Safety Committee. "But the incident in the Kunduz report gave the Taliban an excuse on which to build and further to justify their attacks."

Afghanistan's intelligence service said it has arrested eight people in connection with the Tolo attack, all associated with the Haqqani network, a close Taliban ally based in neighbouring Pakistan.

But many journalists have yet to return to work, fearing further attacks. An executive at 1TV, the other major media outlet that was threatened, said the intelligence service told him to move to a new home and buy a weapon. He also said a car bomb was recently defused outside the station's gate. The executive spoke on condition of anonymity out of safety concerns.

The escalation in violence has cast a pall over the surprisingly vibrant media landscape that emerged after the 2001 U.S.-led invasion toppled the Taliban.

Afghanistan has 75 television networks, 175 radio stations and hundreds of newspapers, magazines and websites employing thousands of journalists, mainly young people who came of age after the brutal rule of the Taliban, who banned television. Afghan journalists are often alone in reporting from the front lines of the conflict, and have defied intimidation to challenge claims by the government, local warlords and the insurgents.

Reporters Without Borders ranked Afghanistan 122nd out of 180 countries in its World Press Freedom Index last year, up from the previous year but well below 2004, when Afghanistan was 97th. The low ranking reflects the dangers faced by local journalists, who work in conflict zones and face threats from all sides.

"Not all of us are everyday heroes," Shuja said. "There's only a certain amount of risk that all of us can take in the face of a diabolical enemy such as the Taliban."

Relatives of those killed and wounded in the bus attack have complained about the security measures taken by Moby.

"What really kills me is that Tolo knew about the threats, even on that day, and didn't insist on sending them in smaller cars, rather than in one bus - and then they were all attacked," said Zahara Mirzaee, whose 25-year-old daughter Zainab, a boom operator, was killed.

The Afghanistan Journalists' Federation has called on media owners to provide protection and compensation for their employees in accordance with existing laws. President Ashraf Ghani has promised to support and monitor media safety through a ministerial commission.

The Mirzaee family meanwhile fears for another daughter, Golsum, 27, who works at 1TV dubbing Turkish soap operas into Farsi. She hasn't returned to work since the attack, despite the fact that she and her late sister were supporting the family.

"I'm afraid, but I just don't know what to do," she said. "If I don't go back to work, then there will be no money coming in... I was going to go back yesterday, but I heard that the security service defused a car bomb at the gate. The risk is now very high."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Troubled unit for injured soldiers gets 5th new commander since Feb. 2016

    Canada News CTV News
    The troubled military unit charged with supporting ill and injured service members and their families got a new commander on Thursday – its 5th leader in less than a year-and-a-half. Brig-Gen. Mark Misener, who was newly promoted from the rank of colonel, was installed as Commander of the Joint Personnel Support Unit at a small ceremony in Ottawa on Thursday. Source
  • Military sends extra help for exhausted police officers dealing with B.C. fires

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Hundreds of Canadian Armed Forces members will support the police response to devastating wildfires in British Columbia, bringing some relief to scores of exhausted officers on the ground. About 225 soldiers travelled on Thursday from CFB Edmonton to Williams Lake, where they will assist the RCMP with observation and reporting along access roads, help with evacuations of people in distress and assist in delivery of aid. Source
  • Andrew Scheer reveals new 'strong, diverse' Conservative leadership team

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Conservative leader Andrew Scheer announced the leadership team of the official opposition in the House of Commons during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday. Unlike Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's election pledge of a 50-50 gender diverse cabinet, Scheer made no specific commitment but selected candidates from both genders and from across Canada with the exception of the Maritimes and territories, where the party failed to retain any seats. Source
  • City of Toronto to tear down $550 park stairs, says man who built them

    Canada News CTV News
    The maverick Toronto handyman who erected a $550 set of stairs in a community park says the city is going to tear them down and build a more expensive replacement that meets its construction standards. Source
  • Texas woman arrested in ‘virtual kidnapping’ plot

    World News Toronto Sun
    HOUSTON — Federal authorities say they’ve arrested a Houston woman who collected ransoms from people who believed their children were kidnapped and that the money had to be paid to get them released. Thirty-four-year-old Yanette Rodriguez Acosta was taken into custody Thursday after being indicted two days earlier on charges including conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Source
  • Operators close Sunshine Village as crews ramp up efforts against wildfire

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Sunshine Village is temporarily shutting down as it becomes a front line in the struggle against a growing nearby wildfire. Operators of the ski resort have found accommodation for 150 guests for the weekend in a busy Banff townsite amid stepped-up efforts to halt the Verdant wildfire burning 2.5 km away. Source
  • Canadian youth still waiting for promised 'green jobs' but labour minister confident

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The federal government will find a way to create 15,000 green jobs over three years, even after falling well short of a smaller goal last year, Canada’s labour minister says. Labour Minister Patty Hajdu says it took the government “a little bit of time to co-ordinate ourselves,” after promising during the 2015 election campaign to create 5,000 so-called “green jobs. Source
  • Authorities continue probe of catheter allegedly found in Quebec ice cream

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Federal inspectors say no health threats have been identified at a Quebec ice cream factory they visited after a family claimed to have found a catheter in a tub of the treat. The Francoeur family from Trois-Rivieres told various media they allegedly found the end of a purple plastic catheter tube in a container of Coaticook ice cream last week. Source
  • Secretary of late Princess Diana tells all on her eating disorder hell

    World News Toronto Sun
    There’s no denying that Princess Diana struggled with a lot of different demons throughout her life, particularly with her tireless attempts to fit in with the royal family. But now her one and only private secretary, Patrick Jephson, is speaking out about his experience witnessing Di’s battle with anorexia, Radaronline.com has learned. Source
  • Man charged after puppy found in Toronto shopping centre trash can

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have charged a man accused of leaving a puppy in a garbage can at a shopping centre last week. Police say a man was seen on security footage discarding a dark bag in a trash can on July 11. Source