California fugitives had outside aid and kidnapped cab driver, sheriff says

SANTA ANA, Calif. - Three inmates who pulled off an intricate getaway from a California jail had outside help from a man who slipped them escape tools and gave them a ride to safety before they kidnapped a taxi driver at gunpoint and held him captive for a week while arguing over whether to kill him, authorities said Monday.

See Full Article

The details emerged at news conferences by prosecutors and the Sheriff's Department that answered many of the remaining questions surrounding the escape and eight-day manhunt that ended with the capture of all three fugitives.

Hossein Nayeri, who was awaiting trial on charges of torture and kidnapping, planned the escape for five months before co-conspirator Bac Duong was booked into Central Men's Jail in Orange County in December and helped with an outside contact, sheriff's Capt. Jeff Hallock said.

Jonathan Tieu, who was awaiting trial on a gang-related murder charge, also joined the plot, authorities said.

"This took a while," Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said. "To defeat these security systems, to defeat these metal grates, to defeat these 1-inch bars, it took some time."

Once out, the three were picked up by an accomplice and driven to safety.

That night, Duong kidnapped a taxi driver at gunpoint and stole a van the following day in Los Angeles, authorities said.

The fugitives and the cab driver spent three nights at a motel in Southern California before they drove 400 miles (643 kilometres) north to the San Francisco Bay Area in the taxi and van.

Nayeri and Duong later had a fist fight in a San Jose motel room over whether to kill the taxi driver, Hallock said. Nayeri wanted to kill the cab driver and Duong did not, authorities believe.

When Nayeri and Tieu left to get the van's windows tinted later the next day, Duong drove back to southern California with the cab driver and surrendered Friday at an auto repair shop in Orange County just miles from the jail.

Nayeri and Tieu were arrested Saturday in San Francisco after a man spotted the stolen van near a Whole Foods Market parking lot.

Prosecutors said Monday they would not charge a teacher at the jail who sheriff's investigators suspect of helping Nayeri, an Iranian-born former Marine.

As part of his plan, Nayeri cultivated a relationship with 44-year-old Nooshafarin Ravaghi, an Iranian-born woman who taught English as a second language to jail inmates, authorities said.

At some point, she provided him with a Google Earth map that showed an aerial view of the entire jail complex, Hallock said.

Ravaghi was arrested last week and booked on suspicion of being an accessory to a felony, but District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said Monday there wasn't enough evidence to hold her and said he's asked investigators to keep digging.

Loc Ba Nguyen, who knew Duong, visited the jail several times and provided the men with items to aid their escape, Hallock said. He also picked them up after they escaped, he said.

It wasn't immediately clear what tools Nguyen might have provided or what his relationship was with Duong, but authorities said he did not work inside the jail.

Nguyen has been charged with felony counts of possession of a weapon in a place of custody, carrying or sending a useful aid to escape from a jail or prison and aiding escape, with a criminal enhancement for being in possession of a dangerous or deadly weapon.

He will be arraigned next month and has not entered a plea. He is free on $300,000 bail.

In their detailed account of the escape, authorities said the trio waited until after a 5 a.m. head count on Jan. 22 then slipped through a hole they had sawed in a metal grate that led to a plumbing tunnel.

From there, they crawled through piping inside the jail walls to reach the roof, pushed aside barbed wire and rappelled down four stories to freedom using a rope made of bed linens.

By 5:15 a.m., they were outside and picked up. They bounced from one home to the next that day, moving among three different Orange County cities.

At 9:30 p.m. - as guards realized they were missing - the trio took a cab to a Target in suburban Los Angeles. They shopped for unknown items then kidnapped the taxi driver, authorities said.

The next day, Duong stole the white GMC van during a test drive and the inmates got haircuts before checking into a hotel in Rosemead with the cab driver still a hostage.

It was the first escape in nearly three decades from the California facility built in 1968.

The three men were all housed together in a holding tank with 65 other inmates when they escaped and were awaiting trial on separate charges.

Hallock said the three inmates will now be held in isolation cells.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • One-handed B.C. marksman reaches his target despite disability

    Canada News CTV News
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. -- He works deftly, loading five bullets into a magazine. He steadies the .308-calibre rifle on a pair of sand bags and peers delicately through the scope. He fires, pulls back the bolt to reload, fires again. Source
  • Roman Polanski won't preside over César Awards, as originally announced

    World News CBC News
    Filmmaker Roman Polanski has decided not to preside over the French equivalent of the Oscars, after protests from France's women's rights minister and feminist groups because of decades-old U.S. sex charges. An official with the arts academy that holds the Césars Awards said Tuesday that Polanski won't take part in the Feb. Source
  • U.K. can't trigger Brexit without parliamentary approval: Supreme Court

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Britain's government must get parliamentary approval before starting the process of leaving the European Union, the Supreme Court ruling Tuesday, potentially delaying Prime Minister Theresa May's plans to trigger negotiations by the end of March. Source
  • Liberal efforts to stamp out sexual, domestic assault called 'massive disappointment'

    Canada News CBC News
    The Liberal government is developing a strategy to tackle sexual and domestic violence, but some front-line workers are calling the government's progress to date a "massive disappointment." Status of Women Minister Maryam Monsef, picking up on the work done by her predecessor Patty Hajdu, is expected to present a plan to address "gender-based violence" this spring or summer. Source
  • Memories from space: Roberta Bondar marks 25th anniversary of Discovery shuttle mission

    Canada News CBC News
    It's been 25 years since Roberta Bondar, Canada's first female astronaut, launched into space aboard the shuttle Discovery. After blasting off on Jan. 22, 1992, Bondar spent eight days orbiting Earth as a member of Mission STS-42. Source
  • Trump's simplistic talk on NAFTA ignores the threat of disruption: Don Pittis

    Canada News CBC News
    The concept behind the North American Free Trade agreement is wonderfully simple. In a similar way, U.S. President Donald Trump's campaign promises on NAFTA are clear enough for any fool to understand. But when you take those two simple ideas and put them together, you get something that one Canadian trade expert calls "a disaster. Source
  • Montreal private school accused of racism after Muslim student arrested, expelled

    Canada News CBC News
    A 15-year-old Muslim student mutters his frustration over a poor test result. A school monitor thinks she hears a threat to blow up the school. A chain of events follows that, according to lawsuit filed in Quebec Court, sees the student taken from his home in handcuffs, arrested, kicked out of his private school and his hopes of a university scholarship put on hold. Source
  • How do you negotiate a trade agreement with a president for whom facts don't matter?: Opinion

    Canada News CBC News
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter how big the crowd was at Donald Trump's inauguration, although, for the record, I was at Obama's in 2009, and I remember the National Mall being so packed it felt almost dangerous. Source
  • Death toll from avalanche in Italy officially 14, with 15 still missing

    World News CBC News
    The death toll from an avalanche in central Italy climbed to 14 on Tuesday as hopes began to fade that any of the 15 people still missing might be found alive under a mountain resort buried by tons of snow and rubble. Source
  • Iraqi forces look west in bid to recapture Mosul

    World News CBC News
    Iraqi forces have started preparing an offensive to capture the western side of Mosul from Islamic State, campaign commander Lt.-Gen. Abdul Ameer Rasheed Yarallah said. Popular Mobilisation "is preparing an operation in the next two, three days, to back up the operation to retake the right bank" of the city, on the western side of the Tigris river, Mosuliya TV cited him as saying on Tuesday. Source