French authorities demolish migrant church, mosque in Calais

PARIS -- French authorities demolished a makeshift church and mosque on Monday at a camp in Calais populated by thousands of migrants.

See Full Article

The operation was the culmination of a two-week effort to clear a 100-meter security zone around the perimeter of the camp, a regional official said. The migrants and charity groups helping them were informed Jan. 19 of the pending demolition, the official said, adding that no one was hurt in the operation.

The pastor for the church clashed with police holding riot shields as excavation machines crushed the simple structure, leaving an empty muddy field beneath.

Rev. Teferi Shuremo said authorities had told him the church was "safe" from demolition.

"They are trying to destroy peace," he said, clinging to a huge wooden cross and pledging to build another church.

The regional official, who wasn't authorized to be publicly named, said the mosque had already been abandoned and no one protested it being razed. He said migrants were free to build new places of worship.

About 4,000 people from Syria, Sudan and other countries are estimated to be at the camp as they try to reach Britain. The French government has come under fire for failing to provide basic care for the migrants, who have built their own shelters, schools, stores and places of worship.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • N.L. fisherman's hunger strike ends in hospitalization

    Canada News CTV News
    A Newfoundland fisherman’s hunger strike ended Sunday with an ambulance taking him to hospital, though his supporters say their fight is far from finished. “I almost lost my son there today,” Richard Gillett’s father, John Gillett, told reporters on Sunday. Source
  • Venezuelans struggling in U.S. as home country implodes

    World News CTV News
    MIAMI -- People crowd outside a church near Miami's international airport, chatting about family and friends left behind in Caracas, Valencia and Maracaibo as they wait more than an hour to receive rice, beans, yogurt and other food for their families. Source
  • Changes at passport offices due to terrorism concerns

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The federal government has been quietly making changes to passport offices in a bid to improve security and address concerns that the facilities could be easy targets for a terrorist attack. Civil servants in passport and other government offices have for years faced bomb threats, and hostility from individuals who are disgruntled, drunk or suffering mental illnesses. Source
  • Student killed during hammer throw at track meet

    World News Toronto Sun
    WHEATON, Ill. — A college student has died after being struck during a hammer-throw event at a track meet in suburban Chicago. Wheaton College officials say 19-year-old student Ethan Roser of Cincinnati was volunteering at a track and field competition at the school Saturday when he was accidentally struck by a hammer. Source
  • Obama meets with at-risk youth ahead of Chicago speech

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Former President Barack Obama met Sunday with at-risk young men and boys in his hometown of Chicago before his first major post-presidency speech. The former president spent time at a roundtable with youth from theorganization Chicago Create Real Economic Destiny located in the Roseland/Pullman neighbourhood in South Side Chicago where Obama started as a community organizer at age 25. Source
  • Police stop 12-year-old boy from driving across Australia

    World News Toronto Sun
    SYDNEY, Australia — Outback police have arrested a 12-year-old boy who was almost a third of his way toward driving solo across Australia. The unlicensed boy had driven more than 1,300 kilometres (800 miles) from his home in Kendall on the east coast when he was stopped by traffic police on Saturday on the Barrier Highway near the remote mining town of Broken Hill because a bumper bar was dragging on the road, a police statement said on Sunday. Source
  • Police stop 12-year-old boy who drove 1,300 km across Australia

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - Outback police have arrested a 12-year-old boy who was almost a third of his way toward driving solo across Australia. A police statement said on Sunday the unlicensed boy had driven more than 1,300 kilometres from his home in Kendall on the east coast when was stopped by traffic police on Saturday on the Barrier Highway near the mining town of Broken Hill because a bumper bar was dragging on the road. Source
  • Ottawa-area sisters sending Girl Guide cookies to Canadian troops overseas

    Canada News CTV News
    Four years ago, the Kucherhan sisters’ father, a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, was deployed to Afghanistan. The girls missed him so much that they sent him parcels. Now, a little older, the two are going door-to-door in their hometown of Kanata, Ont. Source
  • Senators advance with OT victory over Bruins

    Canada News CBC News
    Clarke MacArthur scored the winner 6:30 into overtime as the Ottawa Senators beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 on Sunday afternoon to win their Eastern Conference quarter-final series in six games. The goal was preceded by Boston right-winger David Pastrnak's holding penalty as he took down MacArthur, who scored on the rebound of Bobby Ryan's shot 36 seconds into the power play. Source
  • Trump's bluster doing nothing to neutralize North Korea's nuclear ambitions

    World News CBC News
    The skyline of Pyongyang was shrouded in haze last week as the 105th birth anniversary of founding father Kim Il-sung dawned. There was nothing but quiet outside my hotel window. But while the noise from the previous day's huge military parade had faded, the news from the military had not. Source