UN envoy to meet Syrian opposition after early stumble

GENEVA -- UN envoy Staffan de Mistura will meet with the Syrian opposition but is not expected to launch indirect talks with the government as hoped on Monday.

See Full Article

De Mistura had planned to meet with a government delegation Monday morning before meeting with the opposition, but the earlier meeting was postponed, his spokeswoman Khawla Mattar said.

The envoy had officially met with the government delegation on Friday but only paid a courtesy visit to the opposition on Sunday. Mattar said the Monday morning meeting would be rescheduled because de Mistura wanted to hold an official meeting with the opposition before launching the indirect talks.

The talks in Geneva are aimed at ending a five-year conflict that has killed 250,000 people and displaced millions, leaving vast swaths of the country in ruins.

De Mistura has decided that these will be "proximity talks," rather than face-to-face sessions, meaning that he plans to keep the delegations in separate rooms and shuttle between them. He has tamped down expectations by saying he expects talks to last for six months.

Earlier in the day, de Mistura's office said his meeting with the government delegation planned for Monday morning has been rescheduled.

The opposition delegation, known as the High Negotiations Committee, or HNC, said it will meet de Mistura in his office Monday afternoon after receiving reassurances from several countries as well as the UN envoy regarding sieges on rebel-held areas and bombardment of civilians.

Opposition figures have said that they will only go to the UN headquarters in Geneva, where the talks will take place, once the bombardment by Russians and Syrian warplanes stops and aid is allowed to enter besieged rebel-held areas.

"We have come to Geneva to seek relief for our people by insisting UN Security Council resolution 2254 is implemented, which means humanitarian relief, the lifting of sieges, and the end of attacks on civilians," spokesman Salem al-Mislet said in a statement.

The talks in Geneva are part of a process outlined in last month's UN resolution that envisions an 18-month timetable for a political transition in Syria, including the drafting of a new constitution and elections.

Another HNC member told The Associated Press that they will give de Mistura "a roadmap for the implementation of humanitarian demands." Farah Atassi said the top priority should be to stop the "unprecedented bombardment by the Syrian regime yesterday by dropping 52 barrel bombs on Moadamiyeh."

She was referring to a besieged suburb of the capital Damascus that opposition activists say was subjected to intense bombardment on Sunday.

The UN human rights chief, Zeid Raad al-Hussein, meanwhile told reporters in Geneva he hopes that peace talks "will lead to the end of all these horrific abuses - human rights abuses and violations of international humanitarian law - that we are all too familiar with."

Al-Hussein added that the UN has a principled position that "no amnesties should be considered" for those suspected of having committed crimes against humanity or war crimes.

Associated Press writers Jamey Keaten and Bassam Hatoum contributed to this report



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Paris protesters decry police brutality following shooting death of Chinese man

    World News CBC News
    Dozens of Chinese Parisians gathered in front of a police station in northern Paris on Tuesday to protest against police brutality. On Sunday evening, Liu Shaoyo, a 54-year-old father of Chinese descent, was fatally shot by police at his house, in the presence of his teenage children. Source
  • Canada Revenue Agency declares man dead - but he's not

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    CAMPOBELLO ISLAND, N.B - A 64-year-old New Brunswick man says he is very much alive, despite being declared dead by the Canada Revenue Agency. Peter Harwerth of Campobello Island said he was stunned to receive a letter from the agency a few days ago that was addressed to the “estate of the late Peter Harwerth. Source
  • Family files lawsuit in Canadian filmmaker's Keys dive death

    Canada News CTV News
    MIAMI - The family of a Canadian filmmaker and conservationist who died during a shark filming excursion in the Florida Keys has filed a wrongful death lawsuit. The lawsuit filed Tuesday in the death of 37-year-old Rob Stewart blames negligence on the companies and individuals who organized the January dive. Source
  • Purolator stops taking shipments ahead of strike deadline

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Purolator has stopped accepting shipments ahead of a strike deadline Wednesday issued by the union representing some of the courier’s employees. Teamsters Canada issued the 72-hour strike notice Sunday after the majority of its more than 8,000 members who work for Purolator voted to reject the company’s final offer. Source
  • Canadian naval vessel part of massive international drug bust

    Canada News CBC News
    The U.S. Coast Guard says a Canadian ship was involved in a massive cocaine bust in international waters over a 26-day period. Approximately 14.5 tonnes of cocaine were seized in 17 separate drug boat interceptions. Source
  • Hong Kong escalator suddenly reverses direction, increases speed and leaves riders in pile at the bottom

    World News Toronto Sun
    A four-story escalator packed with shoppers at a Hong Kong mall suddenly stopped and reversed direction at high speed Saturday, injuring at least 18 people who fell and rolled down the hard steel, some landing in a heap at the bottom. Source
  • Most patients get priority surgeries within target wait times: Report

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — Three out of four Canadians received a hip or knee replacement, cataract surgery, hip fracture repair or cancer radiation therapy within the recommended wait times for those priority procedures, although there was often wide variation from one province to another, researchers say. Source
  • 'Big Maple Leaf' gold coin worth millions was stolen with wheelbarrow: police

    World News CTV News
    Berlin police say suspects used a wheelbarrow to make off with a 100-kilogram gold coin worth millions. Police said Tuesday at least two burglars broke into the Bode Museum early Monday morning using a ladder to climb up to a window from elevated railway tracks running alongside the building. Source
  • Paris clashes over police killing of Chinese man; 3 injured

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- Violent clashes in Paris between baton-wielding police and protesters outraged at the police killing of a Chinese man in his home injured three police officers and led to the arrest of 35 protesters, authorities said Tuesday. Source
  • Transgender Florida man Oneal Morris sentenced to 10 years for lethal butt injections

    World News Toronto Sun
    A transgender man accused of manslaughter after his “toxic tush” injections killed a patient in 2012 has been sentenced to 10 years in a Florida prison. Oneal Morris, 36, received his sentence Monday in a Miami-Dade County court after pleading no contest to manslaughter and practising medicine without a license. Source