Syria says it will 'never accept' 2 rebel groups barred from peace talks

GENEVA -- President Bashar Assad's government will "never accept" the removal of two militant groups from a list of terrorist organizations barred from peace talks, a Syrian official said, while an opposition figure called on the international community on Sunday to stop Russia's "crimes in Syria.

See Full Article

"

Ahrar al-Sham and the Army of Islam, two Islamic groups fighting to overthrow Assad, agreed to take part in U.N.-sponsored peace talks in Geneva. The ultraconservative Ahrar al-Sham is not part of the team sent to Geneva, but the delegation has named Army of Islam official Mohammed Alloush as its chief negotiator.

A U.N. Security Council resolution adopted last month tasked Jordan with compiling an agreed list of terrorist organizations that would be excluded from the talks. Work on the list is still underway.

Assad's government has long referred to all those fighting to overthrow him as terrorists, but has agreed to negotiations with some armed groups in the latest talks. Virtually all parties agree that the Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-affiliated Nusra Front be excluded.

The two sides are divided over Ahrar al-Sham and the Army of Islam, which the Syrian government and its close ally Russia view as extremists. The mainstream opposition views both groups as fellow rebels, despite their ideological differences.

Syrian Information Minister Omar al-Zoubi said on state TV late Saturday that the government would "never accept" the two groups being removed from the list.

"We will neither sit down directly with terrorists, nor have dialogue with them," he said.

The meetings in Geneva, billed as multiparty talks, are part of a process outlined in last month's U.N. resolution that envisions an 18-month timetable for a political transition in Syria, including the drafting of a new constitution and elections.

In Geneva, a delegation of the main opposition group was scheduled to meet with U.N. Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura, who began the peace talks on Friday with a meeting with the Syrian government's delegation, opposition spokesman Salem al-Mislet told The Associated Press on Sunday.

The opposition's delegation says it will not take part in the indirect talks until its demands are met, including lifting the siege imposed on rebel-held areas and an end to Russian and Syrian bombardment of regions controlled by opposition fighters.

"It's the duty of the responsibility of members of the Security Council to put the pressure on Russia to stop these crimes in Syria," al-Mislet said in English.

"It's enough killing our children, killing civilians. They pretend to fight terrorism. In fact they don't fight terrorism because they bring terrorism there and ISIS is spreading in many areas in Syria more than before because of these Russian strikes," al-Mislet said, using a term to refer to the Islamic State group.

Russia began its air campaign Sept. 30, saying its strikes are meant to weaken IS and other "terrorists" in Syria, but Western officials and Syrian rebels say most of the strikes have focused on central and northern Syria, where IS does not have a strong presence.

Russia has been one of the strongest supporters of Syrian President Bashar Assad since the start of the uprising in 2011.

Also Sunday, two explosions went off in the predominantly Shiite Damascus suburb of Sayyida Zeinab, killing at least 10 people, state TV said. The report said one blast was triggered by a car bomb and the second by a suicide bomber.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition group that monitors both sides of the conflict through a network of activists inside Syria, said the blast killed 12 people and wounded about two dozen.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Powerful cyclone lashes Oman and Yemen; 5 dead, 30 missing

    World News CBC News
    Cyclone Mekunu blew into the Arabian Peninsula early Saturday, drenching arid Oman and Yemen, cutting off power lines and leaving at least five people dead and more than 30 missing, officials said. Portions of Salalah, Oman's third-largest city, lost electricity as the cyclone made landfall. Source
  • Tears, cheers and defiance follow Weinstein rape charges

    World News CBC News
    From the tremendous relief and tears of complainants to the stern defence of his lawyer, reactions were swift on Friday after disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein surrendered to police in New York City to face sexual assault and rape charges. Source
  • Irish anti-abortion campaign concedes it has lost referendum

    World News CBC News
    The main group opposing the liberalization of Ireland's abortion law conceded on Saturday that it has lost Friday's referendum on the issue by an overwhelming margin, a spokesperson said. The people of Ireland "weighed it in the balance and it came down on one side. Source
  • No guarantee Ottawa can come to terms with Kinder Morgan over Trans Mountain, says Carr

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's natural resources minister says there's no guarantee that Ottawa can reach a deal with Kinder Morgan to keep the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project alive. "There's no certainty in these things. Pipeline politics, as you know, are not straight," Jim Carr told CBC Radio's The House Friday. Source
  • Canada's coolest summer job mixes adrenaline with reconciliation

    Canada News CBC News
    Reconciliation "I know that the governments have been working very hard on reconciliation," says Allison Baetz, left. "So having this first station in the North … shows that they are working towards what they had promised us. Source
  • Justice minister's tweet on Boushie verdict inspired a wave of angry e-mails and letters

    Canada News CBC News
    Hundreds of Canadians sent messages to the office of Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould after the minister posted a comment on Twitter about the second degree murder trial of Saskatchewan farmer Gerald Stanley. In February, a jury found Stanley not guilty in the death of Colten Boushie, a 22-year-old Cree man. Source
  • The Trudeau government gets another chance to do election law reform right

    Canada News CBC News
    Andrew Scheer suggested this week that Justin Trudeau is trying to "rig the next election." It's quite a thing to say. In fact, it's just about the most serious charge one can level at a government. It apparently failed to make much of a ripple on Parliament Hill — an indication, perhaps, of how numb everyone has gotten to the effects of apocalyptic political rhetoric. Source
  • Trump lawyer's selling of access to president unveils the murky world of lobbying

    World News CBC News
    Donald Trump's embattled personal lawyer Michael Cohen sparked more controversy this month when it was revealed he was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by large corporations for access to the president. And while such transactions may have raised ethical concerns and questions about whether Cohen should have been registered as a lobbyist, his actions, say experts, were all perfectly legal. Source
  • Powerful cyclone lashes Oman, Yemen; 1 dead, 40 missing

    World News CTV News
    SALALAH, Oman -- Cyclone Mekunu has blown into the Arabian Peninsula, drenching arid Oman and Yemen with rain and cutting off power lines. Portions of Salalah, Oman's third-largest city, lost electricity early Saturday as the cyclone made landfall. Source
  • Saskatchewan to allow people to remove gender designation from birth certificate

    Canada News CTV News
    SASKATOON -- A Saskatchewan mother hopes a court decision ordering the province to allow gender markers to be removed from birth certificates when requested -- even for children -- will help to further change people's attitudes. Source