With 3 California inmates back behind bars, focus turns to how men escaped

SANTA ANA, Calif. — Now that the three violent inmates who escaped from a California jail are back in custody, the focus will turn to how they were able to saw, crawl and climb their way out of a maximum-security facility.

See Full Article

Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said she was elated to announce the arrests of the final two fugitives Saturday after eight days on the run from the jail she oversees. But the tough work is just getting started to determine and fix the security lapses that allowed the escape.

"Believe me, we will be looking top to bottom on that," she said. "We do not want another escape from an Orange County jail."

The last two escapees were caught after a civilian flagged down officers near San Francisco's Golden Gate Park and pointed out a parked van that looked like one believed stolen by the trio of inmates during the brazen escape. The man also said someone who looked like one of the fugitives was in the area.

Police approached Hossein Nayeri, the suspected mastermind of the jail break, and he was captured after a short foot chase. The second fugitive, 20-year-old Jonathan Tieu, was found hiding in the van with ammunition but no gun. He surrendered without incident.

A third inmate, Bac Duong, 43, surrendered Friday after walking into an auto repair shop in Santa Ana just a few miles from the jail. He told police he had been with the others in San Jose, and the search immediately shifted to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Authorities were interviewing the inmates, hoping to fill the many holes about the escape and their week on the run. How did they get the sharp cutting tools to hack their way through jail walls? What did they do outside the walls? Where did they stay? How did they get money for gas and food?

The three did not know each other before being housed in the Orange County jail. They were awaiting trial on charges including murder, attempted murder, torture and kidnapping. Duong and Tieu have ties to street gangs that operate in the shadows of Orange County's thriving Vietnamese community.

While behind bars, the three were housed together in a large jail module that held 65 other men, about half of whom were in custody for violent felonies.

Early on Jan. 22, the trio sawed through a metal grate covering a plumbing tunnel, then crawled through piping to reach the jail's roof. There, they pushed aside barbed wire and used a rope made of bedsheets to rappel four stories to the ground.

Jailers did not realize the inmates were missing for 16 hours, an embarrassment for Hutchens that has prompted changes in jail operations, but no firings. The intensive search and investigation produced no tangible results for days and then, on Thursday, authorities arrested a woman who taught English at the jail.

Nooshafarin Ravaghi, a 44-year-old children's book author, gave Nayeri a paper copy of a Google Earth map that showed an aerial view of the entire jail compound, sheriff's spokesman Lt. Jeff Hallock said. She was booked on suspicion of being an accessory to a felony and was being held pending a court appearance set for Monday. It wasn't clear if she had a lawyer.

Authorities say she and Nayeri — who both were born in Iran — exchanged letters and had a relationship that was closer than it should have been, but stopped short of calling it romantic. Nayeri is a former Marine who grew up in the Fresno area, and authorities say it's unclear why as an English speaker he was in her class that teaches English as a second language.

The day after the escape, Duong responded to a Craig's List ad for a white GMC van and stole it during a test drive, authorities said.

Hutchens said the men's capture clears the way for an intense probe into how they were able to escape.

"We're going to do everything we can in our power — and it's not enough to say, 'Gee, we have an old jail, it's a challenging place,' " she said.

Built in 1968, the jail that housed the men holds about 900 inmates. It was the first breakout from the facility in nearly 30 years.

The three will now return to the jail from which they escaped, Hutchens said. "I can tell you they won't be together," she said.

Rodriguez reported from San Francisco.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Alberta Railway Museum steam locomotive coming out of retirement for Canada 150 [Photos] [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The 104-year-old Montreal Locomotive Works 1392 is packed up and ready get back on the tracks for the first time in 62 years. The 1913 locomotive acquired by the Alberta Railway Museum in 1971, which served in the Edmonton-area in the 1950s on work and weed trains, will be back in action as part of the Rails and Tales Canada 150 celebrations. Source
  • Ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest guilty on 37 of 57 charges in sex trial

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    SAINT-JEROME, Que. — Former high-performance ski coach Bertrand Charest was found guilty Thursday of 37 of the 57 charges against him in connection with sexual relations with his students. The 57 counts included sexual assault and breach of trust involving 12 females who were between 12 and 19 at the time of the offences and alleged offences. Source
  • Republicans unveil bill to replace Obamacare, change Medicaid

    World News CBC News
    Senate Republicans released their long-awaited bill Thursday to dismantle much of Barack Obama's health care law, proposing to cut Medicaid for low-income Americans and erase tax boosts that Obama imposed on high-earners and medical companies to finance his expansion of coverage. Source
  • Power still off for 400 properties in Red Deer after Tuesday's windstorm

    Canada News CTV News
    RED DEER, Alta. -- The City of Red Deer says 400 homes and business are still without power after a violent windstorm hit central Alberta earlier this week. In an update on its website, the city says it could be another two days before electricity is restored to everyone. Source
  • Legal clinic challenges Ontario panhandling law as unconstitutional

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A Toronto legal clinic has launched a constitutional challenge against an Ontario law that targets panhandling. The Fair Change clinic argues that the Safe Streets Act violates the rights of people who beg for money, including freedom of expression, the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment. Source
  • 6.8-magnitude earthquake measured in Guatemala's Pacific coast

    World News CBC News
    A major earthquake struck off the coast of Guatemala on Thursday, damaging buildings and downing trees as well as causing powerful tremors in neighbouring El Salvador. There were no reports of casualties. The quake, measured at a magnitude of 6.8 by the U.S. Source
  • Woman lights cigarette at end of wild police pursuit

    World News Toronto Sun
    Los Angeles police say a woman led officers on a wild chase in a suspected stolen car that lasted a half-hour and ended when she crashed into a pole. Officials say at one point during the pursuit early Thursday the suspect stopped the sedan suddenly and then backed up and rammed a patrol car. Source
  • Champs Elysees attacker had arsenal of weapons: prosecutor

    World News CBC News
    The man behind this week's attempted attack in Paris's Champs Elysees had been to Turkey several times in 2016 where authorities questioned him over large amounts of gold and jewelry in his possession, and had a huge arsenal of weapons, the Paris prosecutor said. Source
  • N.S. government sends teen suicide expert to Cape Breton to address deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The Nova Scotia government is sending an expert on youth mental health and suicide to Cape Breton in the wake of several teen suicides. It says Dr. Stan Kutcher will go there Monday to talk to "families, schools, and the community" about addressing mental health concerns. Source
  • Holocaust survivor asked to move seats to accommodate Ultra-Orthodox Jew wins Israeli court case against El Al Airlines

    World News Toronto Sun
    JERUSALEM — An advocacy group representing an 83-year-old Holocaust survivor suing Israel’s national airline for discrimination says it’s won the case. The Israel Religious Action Center representing Renee Rabinowitz on Thursday called this week’s ruling “revolutionary.” It said an El Al flight attendant asked Rabinowitz to move from her seat next to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man on a flight from Newark to Tel Aviv following his request. Source