- Category: World News
- Published Saturday, January 30, 2016
- CTV News
PARIS -- A French prosecutor says a man who tried to enter a Disneyland Paris hotel last week with two handguns will face criminal charges.
Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Meaux, east of Paris, had already dismissed terrorism links but said Saturday the man risks up to five years in prison and a fine of 75,000 euros ($82,000) if convicted. The charges include acquiring and transporting arms and ammunition.
The man, who has not been identified, was detained Thursday with a female companion when he tried to bring the weapons into the hotel. The woman was cleared of complicity.
The man was expected to go before a court Monday, a statement by the prosecutor said.
France is under a state of emergency since November Paris attacks by Islamic extremist that killed 130 people.