35 migrants drown as boat hits rocks, sinks off Turkey coast

ANKARA, Turkey -- He looks peacefully asleep. But the boy, lying on his back on a rocky Turkish beach, is dead -- and a soul-searing reminder that Europe's migrant crisis keeps destroying lives and families by the day.

See Full Article

The unidentified boy was among at least 35 people who drowned Saturday when their boat struck rocks and capsized at dawn as they attempted the deceptively short crossing from the Turkish coast to the Greek island of Lesbos barely 5 miles (8 kilometres) away. More than 250 have drowned already this month trying to reach one of Greece's offshore islands, entry point to the European Union and its uncertain promise of refuge from war and poverty.

The Turkish coast guard said three ships, a helicopter and team of divers were searching the partially submerged craft and surrounding seas for more bodies as police on shore placed bodies, among them at least five children, in black bags. Journalists at the scene tried to interview some of the 75 survivors, but police took them away in buses, some bound for a local hospital to be treated for hypothermia and other injuries, others into police custody for questioning.

The images of the boy and others on the beach Saturday recalled the photo of 3-year-old Alan Kurdi lying face down on a Turkish beach last year. His story put an intimate face on the Syrian refugee crisis for people across the world.

A Turkish government official said he expects rescue workers to find more dead who were trapped inside the wreckage of the 17-meter (56-foot) boat, which sank shortly after departing from the shore near the Aegean resort of Ayvacik. Saim Eskioglu, deputy governor for the coastal Canakkale province that includes Ayvacik, said the boat "hit rocks soon after it left the coast."

The state-run Anadolu Agency said 39 died. Eskioglu said he suspected that was the total, but 35 bodies had been recovered while the bodies of more victims remained inaccessible inside the sunken vessel.

"There are either three or four more bodies inside the boat, which had two decks. The divers are trying to reach them," Eskioglu told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Eskioglu and Ayvacik's mayor, Mehmet Unal Sahin, said most of the migrants were Syrians. The Anadolu Agency said the boat also bore natives of Afghanistan and Myanmar.

A private Turkish news agency, Dogan, said police arrested a Turkish man suspected of being the smuggler who organized Saturday's failed sea crossing.

Weather conditions did not appear to be a significant factor in the sinking. Journalists at the scene said weather conditions Saturday on the Turkish coast were relatively mild, with light winds and temperatures around 12 degrees Celsius (54 Fahrenheit).

The International Organization for Migration says drowning deaths are running at four times the rate of 2015, when many thousands daily sought to enter the European Union via Turkey by reaching one of more than a dozen offshore Greek islands, chiefly Lesbos.

The agency recorded 805 drowning deaths of migrants on Turkey-Greece sea routes throughout 2015, and a further 218 this month alone excluding the ultimate total of Saturday's tragedy.

Joel Millman, a spokesman for the International Organization for Migration, said the death toll was "increasing at an alarming rate." He said it was all the more surprising, given the reality that fewer people are attempting the crossing during winter.

Turkey, which is hosting an estimated 2.5 million refugees from Syria, in November agreed to fight smuggling networks and stem the flow of migrants into Europe. In return, the European Union pledged 3 billion euros ($3.25 billion) to help improve the refugees' conditions.

The country says it has started rejecting Syrians who arrive without valid visas via third countries. It also has started to grant work permits to Syrians as an incentive for them to stay put in Turkey.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • NEB warns Trans Mountain pipeline builder to stop installing mats in streams

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- The National Energy Board is issuing a stern warning to the company building the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion for installing mats in streams to discourage fish from spawning where the pipeline is to be built. Source
  • Toddler who accidentally shot father dead asking 'for his daddy': Relatives

    World News Toronto Sun
    ST. LOUIS — Relatives say a St. Louis toddler who killed his sleeping father while playing with a gun has been asking “for his daddy.” The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that police say the two-year-old accidentally shot 27-year-old Darrion Noble in the neck Saturday afternoon. Source
  • Mounties investigating after 2 men found dead in motel room in Moosomin

    Canada News CTV News
    MOOSOMIN, Sask. -- Mounties are investigating after two men were found dead in a motel room in southeastern Saskatchewan. RCMP were called Monday to a motel on the Trans-Canada Highway in Moosomin. Two men were dead inside one of the room. Source
  • Ireland sets timeline for abortion referendum

    World News CBC News
    Ireland plans to hold a referendum next May or June on whether it should loosen some of the strictest abortion laws in the world, Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said on Tuesday. Abortion has long been a divisive issue in once stridently Catholic Ireland where, after a debate elicited large street protests from both sides, a complete ban was lifted in 2013. Source
  • Man killed by swarm of bees while doing yard work

    World News Toronto Sun
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — A Massachusetts man attacked by a swarm of bees while doing yard work has died. Alison Dahl tells The Sun Chronicle of Attleboro that her husband, Eric Dahl, was blowing leaves from the lawn of their Foxborough home on Saturday afternoon when he was swarmed by bees. Source
  • U.S. slaps new sanctions on 8 North Korean banks

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- New U.S. sanctions will punish eight North Korean banks and 26 bank workers living abroad, the Trump administration announced Tuesday, in the first use of new sanctioning powers granted by U.S. President Donald Trump. Source
  • Dyson plans to make electric vehicles by 2020

    World News CBC News
    British vacuum and consumer goods giant Dyson says it plans to release a fully electric vehicle by 2020. Company founder James Dyson released the news in an email to staff that the company later made public. Source
  • Man claims to find maggots in convenience store sub wrapper

    World News Toronto Sun
    EWING, N.J. — A man claims he found maggots in a sandwich he ordered from a convenience store in New Jersey. Chris Garcia tells The Trentonian he bought a buffalo chicken cheesesteak hoagie Saturday from a Wawa store in Ewing, where he lives. Source
  • London police release all but one in subway attack investigation

    World News CTV News
    LONDON - British police have released all but one of the seven suspects they arrested over the recent attack on a London subway train. The three men released Tuesday face no further police action. Source
  • Equifax CEO resigns in wake of data breach

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Equifax CEO Richard Smith stepped down Tuesday, less than three weeks after the credit reporting agency disclosed a damaging data breach that exposed highly sensitive information for about 143 million Americans. His departure follows those of two other high-ranking executives who left in the wake of the company’s admission that hackers exploited a software flaw that it did not fix to access Social Security numbers, birthdates and other personal data that provide the keys to identify…