'Deeply ashamed': Ban Ki-moon calls peacekeeper abuse allegations horrifying

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia -- The UN secretary-general expressed shame Saturday over allegations that UN peacekeepers and foreign troops sexually abused children in Central African Republic.

See Full Article

"We are all deeply ashamed and horrified over the damage that has been done when peacekeepers exploit and abuse vulnerable people," Ban Ki-moon said at a summit for African leaders in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. "The appalling acts of a few undermine the dedicated work of many. The UN has a zero tolerance policy on sexual abuse and exploitation. We must all work together to ensure accountability and transparency."

The UN human rights office said Friday that it had found six more cases of alleged sexual abuse against children by European troops in Central African Republic, including a 7-year-old girl who said she had to perform sexual acts on soldiers in exchange for water and cookies. A UN team recently interviewed five girls and a boy who claimed their abusers were part of French and European Union military operations in the troubled African country, the office of High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad al-Hussein said.

The sexual abuse allegedly took place in 2014 in or near a camp for displaced people near M'Poko airport in the Central African Republic capital Bangui, but only came to light in recent weeks, the latest in a string of similar allegations.

France, Central African Republic's former colonial ruler, deployed several thousand troops to the country in late 2013 as violence between Christians and Muslims sent thousands fleeing from their homes. An African Union mission that began in April 2014 was taken over by a UN peacekeeping force five months later, while the EU force ended an 11-month mission in March last year.

At a news conference in New York on Friday, the UN announced new allegations against UN peacekeepers.

Secretary-General Anthony Banbury came close to tears as he described four new child sex abuse cases in Central African Republic involving UN troops and police from Bangladesh, Congo, Niger and Senegal.

Banbury also announced an allegation of sexual assault against a minor by a member of Morocco's military contingent serving with the earlier AU mission.

For all of 2015, Banbury said, there are likely to be 69 confirmed allegations of sexual abuse or exploitation in the UN's 16 peacekeeping missions around the world.

The UN can report such allegations, but countries themselves are responsible for prosecuting their troops over such crimes.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump looks to refocus his presidency in address to Congress

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- With his first address to Congress, U.S. President Donald Trump gets an opportunity to refocus his young administration on the economic issues that helped him get elected. His allies hope it will help him move beyond the distractions and self-inflicted wounds that he's dealt with so far. Source
  • Samsung officials to be indicted on bribery charges in South Korea

    World News CBC News
    South Korean special prosecutors said they will indict Samsung's de facto chief Tuesday on bribery, embezzlement and other charges linked to a political scandal that has toppled President Park Geun-hye. The planned indictment of Samsung Electronics vice chairman Lee Jae-yong is a huge hit for the country's most important company. Source
  • North Korean diplomats in Malaysia to get Kim Jong Nam's body

    World News CTV News
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- A high-level North Korean delegation arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday seeking the body of leader Kim Jong Un's half brother, the victim of a nerve-agent attack that many suspect Pyongyang itself of orchestrating. Source
  • UN defends refugee vetting as Trump mulls revised entry ban

    World News CTV News
    AMMAN, Jordan -- In an office cubicle at the UN refugee agency, a Syrian woman and her three daughters took turns staring into a camera for iris scans. Their biometric registration, a first step toward possible resettlement in the West, is to be followed by interviews and background checks that can take months or even years. Source
  • South Korean prosecutors to indict Samsung's de facto chief

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of -- South Korean special prosecutors said they would indict Samsung's de facto chief Tuesday on bribery, embezzlement and other charges linked to a political scandal that has toppled President Park Geun-hye. Source
  • Man arrested in fatal 2016 shooting outside Guelph, Ont. motel

    Canada News CTV News
    GUELPH, Ont. -- Police in Guelph, Ont., say an arrest has been made in a shooting death at a hotel in the city on March 1, 2016. A 35-year-old hotel employee, Aly Sunderani, was shot near the front entrance of a Comfort Inn and later died of his injuries. Source
  • Police in Gatineau, Que. investigate after 2 bodies found in apartment

    Canada News CTV News
    GATINEAU, Que. -- Police in Gatineau, Que., are investigating the deaths of two people whose bodies were found in an apartment on Monday. The bodies of a man and a woman were found at about 4 p.m. Source
  • Malaysia to charge 2 women with murder in death of Kim Jong-nam

    World News CBC News
    Malaysian prosecutors will charge two women — Indonesian Siti Aisyah and Doan Thi Huong from Vietnam — with murder over their alleged involvement in the killing of the estranged half-brother of North Korea's leader, the Southeast Asian country's attorney general said on Tuesday. Source
  • Spring is coming, but winter has 'a little bit of bite left': forecaster

    Canada News CTV News
    Despite unusually warm temperatures in parts of the country, a forecaster says bouts of late winter weather are expected for many through March, with more springlike temperatures to arrive by May. Chris Scott says The Weather Network spring forecast calls for Canadians to expect more storms before the wintry weather ends. Source
  • B.C. picks new head of treaty commission

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- The provincial government has picked a lawyer known for her work with the Musqueam First Nation to head the B.C. Treaty Commission. The provincial cabinet picked Celeste Haldane on Feb. 22, but the federal government must still approve the appointment. Source